X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Steve, dust settles a bit 'round the office here, I'm gonna drive up and buy you lunch in Kennard! My turn. We can do a little catchin' up! I gotta get an up date on your BB gun!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        Make Em Stir!

Years ago, toward the end of season, we would do organized drives in the many DCNF thickets. It was lots of fun with as many as 25 hunters on holidays but usually a dozen or so. We could often push really large blocks of thicket and this was one of those times that two groups of us joined up. It seems I was always in charge of placing standers and driving as I was usually tagged out by then. We would push the thick stuff shooting a pistol into the ground when we knew we had deer moving.

There was a lady with us that had a little boy. If I remember right, he was 6 but small for his age. Now this was a hunting family and its possible the kid is on this forum and 30 years old now. He had a little single shot 20 guage with the ejector broke so he only had one shoot. I put him in the best spot with his mother near by and told him not to leave that spot.

I went around and started the drive with 3 drivers. Within minutes we jumped a bunch of deer and we got them headed out. As we got closer to the end of the push, there were two shots about 10 seconds apart. A short time later there was a pistol shot ahead of me and when I got there a friend(dale) had a 16 inch 8pt that he had just finished off. Darn nice deer. I asked him about the initial two shots and he said he had only fired one and that he thought the kid had shot and turned the buck his way. I went on out and the boy was standing right where I left him. I asked if he shot and he said he had shot a big ten point but it ran off. He said that he saw some does and got ready, then he saw a big buck and was about to shoot when he saw a bigger buck coming and that's the 10pt he shot at.

He pointed where the deer was and a quick search revealed hair from the buckshot and a few flecks of blood that we trailed a short distance directly toward where the other deer was shot. I asked Dale if there was another buck and he said there was only his deer and a doe that came by him. Now we were faced with a problem. Dale had already tagged the deer yet if the boy had shot it first, it really should be his. I took the boy over to where dales deer was laying and asked him if this was the deer he shot. He took one look and said, " No Sir. The deer I shot was a 10pt. That is the first buck I saw but I knew I only had one shot so I shot the big one." I was a little surprised and didn't figure a 6 year old would really have counted points on a deer in that thicket so I asked how he knew it was a ten. He said," Well he had three up on the side next to me". That sure sounded like he knew what he saw.

We made another search while dale drug his deer out but couldn't find any further blood and in my heart I really believed he shot the same deer as dale. In the meantime, Dales brother had joined the hunt late and didn't know which way we were pushing so he had stopped at the other end and was walking to us through the thicket. We were waiting on him and he knew nothing of the events. Suddenly he yelled, "HEY HERES A BUCK!" I yelled, "How many points?" "TEN!"

That kid started saying, I told ya! I told ya! We tore through that thicket 100yds to the buck and he was a jaw dropper. Huge ten around 150. he looked like a dang donkey laying there. His Mom was driving a Honda Civic and we tied that deer all over the top of that dang little car and she headed to a store in Ratcliff that had a big buck contest going on. They drew quite a crowd. Another hunter asked who killed it and we told him the boy did. The hunter said," Its a d&mn shame that a kid killed a deer like that for his first deer." before I could put him in his place the kid replied," What makes you thing that's my first deer? I killed a five point last year and a doe the year before that!" I laughed till my sides hurt!

I cant remember that kids first name but his last name is Pyle and he grew up in a serious bowhunting family. I hope he is a GS member and chimes in here.
        Tracy by chance? Whole family had a pretty good southern drawl?

Comment

Weather is breaking and this week should be good. In taking lil David after either a big 8pt or 9 pt. Johnny and his dad are hunting near me as well.something should die about 645 this evening.

Comment

Weather is breaking and this week should be good. In taking lil David after either a big 8pt or 9 pt. Johnny and his dad are hunting near me as well.something should die about 645 this evening.
            Nice!

Comment

In for this. Good luck to you and Johnny!

Comment

Its a perfect day. I have no doubt something is about to die...

Comment

I’ll be checking in for some LDP’s later

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Best of luck for y'all.

Comment

In for LDP

Comment

Tonight, tomorrow- I don't care- I'm just excited to see more tailgate LDPs of big ETX
                          bucks Hope y'all are blood tracking a biggun right now!

Comment

Not today. Got close. Had good action. Hogs ran them off late. We whacked a big hog. As soon as they ran off our shooter came in. Actually I think we had both shooters in the corn when we sneaked out. I think we got out without them busting us.

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt!

Comment

Love this thread...

Comment

Working...
                                X