Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hog fence an entire property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net wire of hog wire is close to the same price as a 6 strand fence. Materials a little higher but net wire goes up faster so labor is reduced. I even had a neighbor lay hog wire flat on the ground and cover with about 6 inches of dirt and then built their fence. A lot of people in our area have gone to net wire to slow the hogs down.

Comment

Sheep and goat fence will keep them out if properly maintained. Large cell phone trap would be more fun though Lol

Comment

When I high fenced my place in San Saba County, I had ten-twelve hogs on the place. Four years and sixty hogs later, I got rid of the last one. Good luck to you.

Comment

Whatever it cost would pay for itself in one night here. I’ll never build another fence that isn’t geared towards hog deterance

I went to a seminar on a company designing hog fence. The post were very far apart and the tensile strength was crazy

Price was high but so far it was working.

I’m going to guess this year alone I’m at about $20k in damages. So @&$% a hog!!!!

Comment

New a guy that did the. Sold bow hunts inside the 40 acres for wild boar

Comment

the places where they come through my fence is where i set snares for the pasture roaches

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                the places where they come through my fence is where i set snares for the pasture roaches
                Yep. It’s like building a border wall. They might get in... but you can concentrate your efforts to one spot vs the entire area being a breach

Comment

A 200 lb. boar running at top speed will blow through a hog wire fence like it was a screen door. Ask me how I know......

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    A 200 lb. boar running at top speed will blow through a hog wire fence like it was a screen door. Ask me how I know......
                    They will blow through a utility panel with a 15’ dump of the clutch too... I’ve seen em do it!

Comment

How big is the property?

This was just 1.5 acres, but it was and still is very effective on keeping hogs in. Year 1 - https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=hog+trap

Year 2 - https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=hog+trap

When I plant oats, it keeps them out. The fencing is Stay Tuff's high tensile fixed knot hog fencing. I watched a 300 pound boar hog plow into it only to have the fence throw him backwards 4 feet, which gave me the kill shot.

Here's my favorite video:
                      Stay Tuff Fixed Knot vs Hinged Knot
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIs_kfi29V0&feature=emb_logo"]Fixed Knot Fence vs Hinged Joint Fence TEST - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Have a neighbor that has been slowly converting from barb wire to net wire and he says it was money well spent. He has around 2K ac I think so he has spent a good chunk on fencing

Comment

Personally I think it’s a horrible idea and that’s speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, it’s **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though it’s fun in the beginning you’ll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, they’re overrun now and it’s a problem even with the feeder pens in place.

Comment

Our lease has 1280 acres electric fenced. Keeps them out VERY well. Don't know the price but from what I understand its actually the cheapest option. I believe there are 3 or 4 strands in the 1st 2 or so feet off the ground. Supposed to keep yotes out too.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                              Personally I think it’s a horrible idea and that’s speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, it’s **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though it’s fun in the beginning you’ll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, they’re overrun now and it’s a problem even with the feeder pens in place.
                              Our landowner put up an electric fence to keep them out. Had guys come in with a helicopter to eradicate them. We might see one in that pasture every other year or so. Rest of the property is crawling with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                                I think in either case, they will root under the fence.
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X