No announcement yet.

Alaska Cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for Princess. We did a Alaskan sea-land cruise combo for our 30th wedding anniversary through Princess cruise lines last June. Even the land portion was on Princess properties. It was a great experience.

We flew into Seattle and spent a couple of days doing some sightseeing there before heading up to Vancouver where we boarded the ship.

I too highly recommend paying the extra funds for a balcony room. We’ve taken many cruises in the past and I wouldn’t say a balcony view was a deal breaker on most of them....but not Alaska! There’s just so many breathtaken views that you don’t want to miss, trust me.

We were on the Coral Princess with stops and excursions in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord and Whittier before starting the land portion throughout Denali NP. The tour through Denali and the train ride from Whittier to Denali were spectacular.

Comment

Princess no doubt Do the 10 day trip Fly into Anchorage and do the land travel by Princess stay in princess resorts all the way to anchorage then get on princess cruise ship made seven stops before finishing up in Vancouver Ready to go back and do it again For sure book a balcony suiteAll accommodations are the best

Comment

I'm doing Norwegian in September. Around the time of the solstices is the best time to see the northern lights plus the weather is supposed to be pretty good around that time.

Comment

This is absolutely no help but I’ve heard from everyone that I’ve known to do an Alaska cruise that it was awesome.

Comment

I have been thinking for a long time about an Alaskan cruise. To the ones that say get a balcony room, are both sides of the ship good? or do you want to be on the land side? do you even have the option of choosing?

Comment

Depending on which fare you pick and availability, you can choose (the cheapest fare picks for you). I've been on both sides and I don't know that it really matters, other than going up the fjord to see the Sawyer Glacier (where you want the starboard side).

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                I have been thinking for a long time about an Alaskan cruise. To the ones that say get a balcony room, are both sides of the ship good? or do you want to be on the land side? do you even have the option of choosing?
                Both are good IMO. Remember it’s the inner passage so you have land on both sides throughout much of the cruise...not all, but most.

Comment

Thanks for the info, this gives me somewhere to start.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    Has anyone left out of San Francisco, dad is wanting to see the Californis coastline also.
                    No help on anything that hasn't already been said, but the northern California coastline is about the only saving grace for that state and I was raised just north of Napa.

If that's something they are interested in, I'd suggest flying into SFO, renting a car, driving up the Napa valley, across to 101, then up to the redwoods, across to hwy 1 and drive the coast back to cross the golden gate back into San Francisco. Go see Alcatraz too.

Sent from somewhere

Comment

I live in Alaska, and wouldnt do a cruise. Fly to Anchorage, rent a motorhome and set your own pace. The cruises are crowded, when you get to port you unload like lemmings to shop in stores that carry trinkets and then back on the boat. With a motorhome, you can see so much more inland. But again, I live here so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty5 View Post
                        Princess no doubt Do the 10 day trip Fly into Anchorage and do the land travel by Princess stay in princess resorts all the way to anchorage then get on princess cruise ship made seven stops before finishing up in Vancouver Ready to go back and do it again For sure book a balcony suiteAll accommodations are the best

We did a similar trip in 2013 with Princess Cruise Lines and had a fantastic time. 4 days on land/7 days on ship plus an extra day in Vancouver. We flew into Fairbanks.

Next time we will spend more time inland. The ship was great with plenty to do but there was lots more to do inland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife and I have done the inner passage Alaska cruise twice (Glacier bay, Juneau, Skagway, etc), and loved it both times. She is a registered travel agent specializing in cruises. Give her a call! She'll get them the best prices, and will handle all details--airfare, excursions, etc. www.GreatDayToTravel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                            I live in Alaska, and wouldnt do a cruise. Fly to Anchorage, rent a motorhome and set your own pace. The cruises are crowded, when you get to port you unload like lemmings to shop in stores that carry trinkets and then back on the boat. With a motorhome, you can see so much more inland. But again, I live here so there's that.
                            My thoughts exactly, I am trying to talk them into that.

Comment

Originally posted by HSULongbow View Post
                              My wife and I have done the inner passage Alaska cruise twice (Glacier bay, Juneau, Skagway, etc), and loved it both times. She is a registered travel agent specializing in cruises. Give her a call! She'll get them the best prices, and will handle all details--airfare, excursions, etc. www.GreatDayToTravel.com
                              I may have them do that, it appears you are close to us.

Comment

We are taking Princess on an Alaskan "land/sea" vacation this July for our 30th. Flying on our own to Seattle for 4 days of hiking & sight-seeing that I never did when stationed nearby in the mid-80's. Then flying to Fairbanks and working our way to Anchorage over 5 days. This is the land part of the Princess vacation package. Travelling via rail and coach. Then its 7 days of cruising to Victoria, BC. I upgraded to a mini-suite (much nicer) and we were comped the drink package for booking last year.

We've only cruised out of Galveston so far on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Done 3, 5 & 7 day cruises. Of the two, I'd choose RC every time. IMO, Carnival's food was crap. We did enjoy the poolside hamburgers & fries though.

Comment

Working...
                                X