• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    What is the texture/consistency like?

A tender pot roast. The will will fall apart with a fork

Comment

It is great as well very tender and tasty. We eat it in mainly 2 ways:

1. Warmed up with brown gravy and rice. Just drain the liquid off.

2. Dump the entire jar contents into a fry pan. Douse with BBQ sauce and cook it down to a thick consistency. Makes great bbq sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
        All of these canned venison threads go the same way as eating Aoudad threads go. Sure its good, but you have to mix or spice it with something and then its great. I have yet to see anyone just grab a jar and eat it with a fork and enjoy it.

You can say that with just about any piece of meat. I use spice on everything

Comment

I recently bought a pressure canner, and I have some frozen venison I need to trim that was going to be ground for burgers. What I plan to do now is to can the meat with some salt, pepper, raw garlic, raw onions, and a bit of olive oil. I'll do a small test batch first, and if it doesn't come out tasting good, well the dogs will get it as a supplement to their kibble.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            You can say that with just about any piece of meat. I use spice on everything
            To enhance not hide.

I just can't get over the look of it. It's ok. Enjoy.

Comment

I mean I put salt & pepper on a $40 Ribeye too.

Comment

I just eat it with a fork and enjoy. I can with salt and pepper or bullion cube. It is the only way I eat whitetail deer. I don even really like ground deer- prefer nilgai or axis if eating ground. So I can whitetail and eat it often at work. Most of the time I just put it over some rice but have been known to just pop a jar and eat it room temp.

Comment

The appearance of the canned venison is not as ugly as some make it out to be. I think the less spice you use while canning, the better. We put 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pint jar, and it was simply a flavor enhancer. The texture was nowhere near potted meat. The cubes of venison were firm and tender. From now on, all of the tougher cuts of venison will be canned at our house, and maybe some of the less tough cuts.

Comment

The beauty of canned venison is it's a fast meal when you forget to take some out of the freezer.

I can just the meat along with chilli and stew too. Ducks make a great stew.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                      Ducks make a great stew.
                      Duck also makes excellent chili. My favorite part of the deer for making stews and chili is the neck. Lots of excellent meat on the neck, but you have to cook it well (low heat, long time - or use a crock pot) for it to come out tender and juicy. We've got a frozen deer neck in the freezer I need to thaw and make some chili and stew that I can, well, can.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Never done it, might have to give it a try.

Comment

I am interested. I dont let my wife in the kitchen while I am cooking wild game anyways. She is only allowed to view and eat the final product....lol

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                            Michael and Rat have posted threads about canning venison, and I have been following. Tonight, my good friend and customer from Ohio helped us get over the pressure cooker fear and we canned 9 pints of venison. Not being able to wait, we opened a jar and sampled. Unbelievable. It’s the real deal. Lindy was the most skeptical, but now, she said that we were gonna can more than we are gonna freeze. 40 years of eating deer meat, and I learned something new and fantastic. Thanks.
                            I started doing this about 4 years ago. A lot of my family in WV cans ALL of their deer meat...that's the only way they eat it. I can any "leftovers" from the previous season to make room in the freezer for the new season. Fork tender, shelf stable, and delicious...perfect in case the zombies come and you need some quick pre-cooked protein

Comment

It's good to see people getting back to canning. I just put up 19 quarts of wild pork a month ago.

Don't forget the bones though! Take the bones and make broth, simmer for about 3 days with some veggies (like onion, celery and carrots), strain and then can the broth. I use the broth to make the rice, or gravy, that goes with the canned meat. Yes, the health benefits are incredible, but the taste is what really makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                                It's good to see people getting back to canning. I just put up 19 quarts of wild pork a month ago.

Don't forget the bones though! Take the bones and make broth, simmer for about 3 days with some veggies (like onion, celery and carrots), strain and then can the broth. I use the broth to make the rice, or gravy, that goes with the canned meat. Yes, the health benefits are incredible, but the taste is what really makes a difference.
                                You simmer for three days?

Comment

Working...
                                X