Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
    Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?

Don't worry....give it 6 months and water problems will be back.. It's an ever-changing phenomena with us. Better to have it and not need it than not have it so we keep filling them up. Plus like Jack said....I like my feedpen to be a full meal deal all in one stop.

Bad year for us.....after two really good seasons. We can only write it off to all the rain creating a smorgasborg of available food. Same thing happened in 2012 in the 7-9" drought breaker. Even right now after the freezes, the 2" we got in Dec has the green winter stuff growing everywhere. We'd get some deer coming in for a few bites of corn and them jump out to go and start foraging on the ground. It was a winter wheat looking green forb...it was under every oak mott and even out in the field under the now brown summer grass. Hell I ad der that would jump in the pen, eat the green on the edges and jump out not even touching corn. It was a losing battle. I picture our mature deer getting up from their beds, walking 50 yards eating to their hearts content, drinking out of a water puddle near by if needed and walking right back to their bedding area..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Don't worry....give it 6 months and water problems will be back.. It's an ever-changing phenomena with us. Better to have it and not need it than not have it so we keep filling them up. Plus like Jack said....I like my feedpen to be a full meal deal all in one stop.

Bad year for us.....after two really good seasons. We can only write it off to all the rain creating a smorgasborg of available food. Same thing happened in 2012 in the 7-9" drought breaker. Even right now after the freezes, the 2" we got in Dec has the green winter stuff growing everywhere. We'd get some deer coming in for a few bites of corn and them jump out to go and start foraging on the ground. It was a winter wheat looking green forb...it was under every oak mott and even out in the field under the now brown summer grass. Hell I ad der that would jump in the pen, eat the green on the edges and jump out not even touching corn. It was a losing battle. I picture our mature deer getting up from their beds, walking 50 yards eating to their hearts content, drinking out of a water puddle near by if needed and walking right back to their bedding area..
      Yep, agree...just too much to eat! This pic was a kill my TBH son made 2 weekends past and this Ole' Buck had just a few teeth left, so it was time.
      Attached Files

Comment

How are you guys filling your tanks, just a pump with an extra tote on hand? I want to look into adding that to a set next year and see if it makes a difference. What’s the best way to control water level in the trough?

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
          How are you guys filling your tanks, just a pump with an extra tote on hand? I want to look into adding that to a set next year and see if it makes a difference. What’s the best way to control water level in the trough?

We have 12 totes to fill so we bought a 2" semi clean water pump from harbor freight. Dumps a full tote in 2.5 minutes. We have since upgraded to a tandem trailer, 2 totes on the trailer and two totes per pen.

Humper says yall are #1..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water install.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	24567072

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	24567073

Comment

Smart, excuse my ignorance but what’s the deal with the piece of wood and rock in the small troughs?

Comment

Originally posted by 2good2Btru View Post
              Smart, excuse my ignorance but what’s the deal with the piece of wood and rock in the small troughs?
              To allow small animals such as rodents to be able to crawl out of the trough and not drown.

Comment

2020 is coming

Comment

Originally posted by kitban12 View Post
                  2020 is coming

Have another drink

Comment

Kuma there is a lot of people in your shoes. I have heard of people wanting to jump leases but I think things will be back to normal soon. This was a historic yr and things were not the norm. We were lucky on our place to still take a few deer but overall the numbers were way down with a lot of deer away since it all started in August. Like I’ve told several people stay this course and it will be a great 2019!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                      Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?
                      Pretty typical across the area in Sterling and Irion Co. We didnt shoot a trophy off our place this year. Kids killed a couple management bucks but overall pretty slow especially at feeders. Some really big deer are getting passes hoping for a better spring. We have one nice buck thats 6 this year we ended up passing just to see what a spring will do. Well find out if it was the right decision or not.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        Kuma there is a lot of people in your shoes. I have heard of people wanting to jump leases but I think things will be back to normal soon. This was a historic yr and things were not the norm. We were lucky on our place to still take a few deer but overall the numbers were way down with a lot of deer away since it all started in August. Like I’ve told several people stay this course and it will be a great 2019!
                        Yep ive heard several guys say they are looking but im not really sure what they are looking for as it was slow across this part of the world.

Comment

1/2" of rain last night in Sterling County.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

HOARDERS!

I think we got 1/10"

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Just a drop in the bucket this yr!

Comment

Not to get too far off topic but anyone know a place around San Angelo to get into sand bass? Always hunted here but I just moved here and need something to do in the off season. Don't need your honey hole just a lead on a body of water

Comment

Working...
                                X