Gonna make bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna make bacon

Been wanting to try, but getting pork belly near me has been a challenge. I guess city folks don't buy pork belly. Not available at Sam's, Costco, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Amazon, or Whole Foods. Wasted a lot of time looking.

Just picked up an 8.5# pork belly from La Michoacana meat market. I really liked that place. With skin removed though worked out to be ~$5.50/lb. Wife will pick up another 5# from central market tomorrow. They only charge $5/lb for the same pork belly that HEB sells for $3/lb. We wanted to compare as the one we bought seemed thin. Closest HEB is only 45 minutes away.

My plan is to use my offset smoker as a cold smoker. Will do this by using some pellet tubes on a cold night. I know I could hot smoke it, but I want to try this route. Think I've read all the threads on this.

I think while I'm at it I might try to cold smoke a block of cheddar cheese. Stay tuned. Will update in couple days.

Well, it's about time you made something in ur smoker!!! Let me know if you need a mentor to coach you along...lol.

Good luck and cant wait to try it!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
      Well, it's about time you made something in ur smoker!!! Let me know if you need a mentor to coach you along...lol.

Good luck and cant wait to try it!!!!!
      Lordy Sully, that is a good un. "One" for you slightly north of the border folks.

Just think, the ends are gonna go into the venison burgers. If folks thought the last batch was good.... You win all the way around.

Comment

Every Costco I have been ever been to has had them. Ask someone at the mear counter next time? Good luck its addicting once you've had bacon done right!

Comment

I started doing my own about 5 years ago and haven’t bought it from the store in about 4 years. Very easy and very good. Find it cheaper though, if you intend to do much. Costco here in San Antonio is $2.99/lb and they always have it.

Comment

Brookshire Brothers is where I have gotten mine in the past, best price as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
              Lordy Sully, that is a good un. "One" for you slightly north of the border folks.

Just think, the ends are gonna go into the venison burgers. If folks thought the last batch was good.... You win all the way around.
              I save the ends and trim pieces for my beans, give it a try.

Comment

Been wanting to try, but getting pork belly near me has been a challenge. I guess city folks don't buy pork belly. Not available at Sam's, Costco, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Amazon, or Whole Foods. Wasted a lot of time looking.

Just picked up an 8.5# pork belly from La Michoacana meat market. I really liked that place. With skin removed though worked out to be ~$5.50/lb. Wife will pick up another 5# from central market tomorrow. They only charge $5/lb for the same pork belly that HEB sells for $3/lb. We wanted to compare as the one we bought seemed thin. Closest HEB is only 45 minutes away.

My plan is to use my offset smoker as a cold smoker. Will do this by using some pellet tubes on a cold night. I know I could hot smoke it, but I want to try this route. Think I've read all the threads on this.

I think while I'm at it I might try to cold smoke a block of cheddar cheese. Stay tuned. Will update in couple days.
                Mistake I have made when I first did my own bacon was to not dry it thoroughly, hang it in the fridge over night or put it on a wire cooling rack in the fridge if you can’t hang it. You want it to be completely dry or it won’t take the smoke as well.

Comment

Thanks JES for the advice. Wish there was Brookshire's near, but no, I am right between ftw & dallas. I'll learn from this batch and then stock up when I have the opportunity... make a detour on way to lease. Planning on combining ends with venison for burgers. Did that this last season and that was some good eats at the lease. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. And who doesn't like burgers year round?

Comment

Since I started making my own, I haven’t looked back. There is absolutely no comparison in flavor. As long as I am able, I will make my own. Easy, much better tasting and cheaper.

I get my pork bellies from the local butcher shop. If they still have the skin on then I filet it off and make cracklins. Get a twofer.

Comment

Thanks JES for the advice. Wish there was Brookshire's near, but no, I am right between ftw & dallas. I'll learn from this batch and then stock up when I have the opportunity... make a detour on way to lease. Planning on combining ends with venison for burgers. Did that this last season and that was some good eats at the lease. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. And who doesn't like burgers year round?

I can’t speak for all Costcos but the one on Bryant Irvin pretty much always has bellies. That’s where I get mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Can someone list out the process for someone that has never done it?

Comment

Originally posted by EZ40 View Post
                          Can someone list out the process for someone that has never done it?
                          This how I do mine.

Homemade bacon is easy and the results are much better than grocery store smoked bacon. You can make countless variations once you have the basic homemade smoked bacon recipe down.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

Thank you, sir.

Comment

I'm planning on documenting the whole process on this thread. Likely have 3 different rubs too. Hopefully will start tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X