Thoughts on this Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this Bear?

I’ve got what I think is a really nice bear on camera. Want to see what you guys think.

I have an old corn feeder that I set out in the summer time to try to catch some bachelor group pictures. It usually lasts a week or two before getting toppled and put back in the barn.

This year it only lasted a couple of days before a good bear got on it. Have another picture of (presumably) the same bear at a mineral site I keep up just about a 1/4 through the woods.

The drum in the last picture is 36” tall, so I know he’s at least that tall. I’m not really interested in bear hunting, but I think this dude would make a heck of a rug so I’m thinking about it.
    Attached Files

For size reference
    Attached Files

Comment

That’s pretty cool. I got some relatives that hunt in mena and they see a few bears up there.

Comment

My thoughts tend toward steaks and burger, then a bear rug.

Comment

I don’t know anything about bears, but he looks big to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            My thoughts tend toward steaks and burger, then a bear rug.
            I agree! I've got a freezer full of bear meat and I already want more.

Comment

Nice bear.

Comment

I drew a bear tag for Colorado this year and am thinking about a rug or a robe.....how do you have black bear processed?

Comment

General thinking if he is taller than a 55 gallon barrel he is a decent bear.
                  Also if you think you could fit the bear in the barrel he is not a big bear.
                  Appears to be a pretty good one to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                    General thinking if he is taller than a 55 gallon barrel he is a decent bear.
                    Also if you think you could fit the bear in the barrel he is not a big bear.
                    Appears to be a pretty good one to me.
                    I know they’re hard to judge and I’m certainly not an expert, but this one caught my attention. I’m thinking he’s 350+, just not sure if I want to go through the trouble of baiting, hunting, and trying to handle him by myself.

Comment

Size comparison to a doe standing in the same spot
                      Attached Files

Comment

One of the best ways to quickly size a bear is looking at his ears. If the ears look small compared to the head it is a good size adult, big ears usually will let you know it is a small or juvenile bear.
                        I was looking at that 109 degrees and wondering if that was correct?

Comment

Nice !

Comment

I hunt some in Arkansas and if I saw that bear on my way to the stand some dark morning I am quite sure he'd look pretty big to me!!

Comment

I'm going with 275-290 lb bear

Comment

Working...
                              X