No announcement yet.

Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peyton, how is getting tickets for breaking laws a "raw deal?" There were two violations of game laws and two tickets were given. You are confusing unpleasant to the person receiving the tickets with unfair and unjustified. Think about someone showing up at your job with excuses, and telling you how to do your job when they have never been in your shoes. How "COOL" would that be, Peyton?

I just wish someone would say " I messed up and got a ticket" instead of "I didn't know" and "ticky tacky" and I should have got a warning. The "bad guys" have the same stories. How is the GW supposed to read your mind to know if was really an accident. I'm not implying that it wasn't an accident or that there was any bad intentions there, but did the GW's know you or your character? They just did their job, and tickets are not a good part of their jobs. Bottom line is that it is your responsibility to know the law.

Comment

Originally posted by elkhunter4035 View Post
      Peyton, how is getting tickets for breaking laws a "raw deal?" There were two violations of game laws and two tickets were given. You are confusing unpleasant to the person receiving the tickets with unfair and unjustified. Think about someone showing up at your job with excuses, and telling you how to do your job when they have never been in your shoes. How "COOL" would that be, Peyton?

I just wish someone would say " I messed up and got a ticket" instead of "I didn't know" and "ticky tacky" and I should have got a warning. The "bad guys" have the same stories. How is the GW supposed to read your mind to know if was really an accident. I'm not implying that it wasn't an accident or that there was any bad intentions there, but did the GW's know you or your character? They just did their job, and tickets are not a good part of their jobs. Bottom line is that it is your responsibility to know the law.
      The doe's head was in the truck "tagged".

It would have been VERY easy to just stick the meat in an ice chest, not tag the head (as well as make sure it was in the truck with the meat), driven home... never freely mentioning it was there to the officer when they got stopped for a license plate issue. But that is what you do when there are bad intentions.

Yes, I agree it is our responsibility to know the law, but out of everyone in that camp....so far I have only heard one that knew that law.....and I'm not sure he saw what we were doing at the time.

Bottom line.... the tagged head was in the truck. To me.... that doesn't look like someone who is intentionally breaking the law. To me (again this is just me), that would be someone you would see is clearly not a threat to the law.

Maybe you missed this part

While I admit to my error, I just never imagined I was painting so far out the lines that I'd end up with a double hit. I was proud of my deer. A lot of effort went in to hanging that stand, descenting my clothes, capturing it on film, tagging it, processing it, taking care to make sure fresh ice was on it this morning etc etc... When the trooper asked about our weekend I was happy to share a look at our success.
      Nothing was hidden here. It was all out in the open...seriously, does this appear to be a case of something that wasn't an accident?

I do feel partly to blame on the processing. For once, I wanted to learn how to skin and do some processing. I had never wanted to....or maybe I should say never had to do this stuff for myself before. I felt it was time to learn how to handle deer for instances when I didn't have my boys with me. Steven was nice enough to hand me a knife, knowing I was going to be slow and ask a bazillion questions.

Do "I" feel it was a "raw deal"....I have to say yes. If circumstances were different, he lied, didn't have the tagged head, and didn't full on disclose he had the meat at the very beginning of all this....then yes....accident would seriously be questioned.

Just don't how that could be in question with this circumstance

It is my hope that the judge who reviews this case will be able to see that bad intentions had absolutely no part to play in any of this.

Comment

WOW..

Sorry it happened to you. The DPS Officer and THe GW's are doing their jobs. Like stated here before "It shinks but you did break the law." If they saw the TBH sticker and knew of the website then how would it look for that to be plastered on here " got away with 3 warnings and they are not doing their job" . Investigate the quartering issue and when go to court explain it to the judge. It could have been alot worse on you... Take it on the chin and call it a learning experience. You might even make the Game Warden Field notes!!!!

Comment

man i thought i smelled bocon . there is always going to be a law or something that your not going toing to know about that they will get you on every time.

Comment

Sorry to hear about ya'lls misfortunes but laws are laws and we pay to have them enforced. I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws. If you are not going to play by the laws then be prepared to pay the piper. Sorry again but it does sound a bit hypocritical.

>E

Comment

Took me awhile to find it, but here it is. I'll admit I didn't know this either.

Sec. 42.018. TAG TO BE ATTACHED TO DEER. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (d) or commission rule, no person may possess the carcass of a deer before the carcass has been finally processed at a final destination unless there is attached to the carcass a properly executed deer tag from a hunting license provided by the department and issued to the person who killed the deer.

(b) A tag is properly executed only when the month and the date of the kill are cut out and the tag is filled out to show the place the deer to which the tag is attached was killed and to show other information required on the tag by the commission.

(c) If the deer's head is severed from the carcass, the properly executed tag must remain with the carcass.

(d) A wildlife resource document completed by the person who killed the deer must accompany the head or other part of the deer not accompanied by a tag if at any time before the carcass is finally processed the head or other part of the deer no longer accompanies the carcass. If a portion of the carcass is divided among persons and separated and the person who killed the deer retains a portion of the carcass, that person shall retain the tag with the portion of the carcass retained by that person. A wildlife resource document shall be retained with the head of a deer that is not kept with the carcass until the head is delivered to the owner after taxidermy or, if not treated by a taxidermist, until delivered to a final destination.

(e) Final processing for a deer carcass may occur only at a final destination.

(f) This section does not prohibit a person before delivering a deer carcass to a final destination from removing and preparing a part of the deer if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                Sorry to hear about ya'lls misfortunes but laws are laws and we pay to have them enforced. I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws. If you are not going to play by the laws then be prepared to pay the piper. Sorry again but it does sound a bit hypocritical.

>E
                Let me be clear.

Rules\laws are important and I'm thankful for the game warden doing his job.

Did I break the law? Yes!

Did Mary Bone or Ben Stovall break the law? No!

Did I have malicious intent? No!

Do I think I did anything even remotely worth a fine of $500? (or more) No!

Do I have a right to talk about it and share my misfortune? Yes!

Should I be glad I got cited? No!

Could the officers have given me a warning and earned a measure of respect? Yes!

Am I surprised? No... season just opened... these guys understand the woods are full of hunters again and they are prepared to do their job (as they should be).

Will I look at game wardens differently going forward? Ugh. This is the one that gets me. I'm sure these are nice guys but I also think that once the DPS officer called them, one ticket was already ready to be written. The fact that the second officer (the one who was not writing me up) was worried about how this would look on the internet let me know they are concerned about their image. They could have easily got the message across with a warning and saved the citations for the "bad guys". It was completely obvious to all there was not more than one deer in that baggie.

I'm sure many are thinking "dumb ace got what he deserved" and you have a right to feel that way. I made a mistake. No question or excuses. Hopefully the judge will see that there was no malicious intent and that my deer was being treated with the utmost respect... properly tagged in the ear and the meat painstakenly cared for.

Comment

I don't want to get into the heads of the particular GW's, but having one of my best friends as one, I've kinda gotten to understand a little about the different mindsets....Lots of war stories and amazing how similar situations get handled differently. Those that actually hunt and been around the block before they got the title seem to be a bit more understanding. Sorry, but some are just by the book and will hand them out at will.

Here you have two obvious good natured and polite guys, who's intentions clearly were not done w/ malice to gain an extra tag, etc. Personally, I think a single GW would have handled it differently and I do see a shift in how GW's act when more than one are present. If one was senior, it kinda puts both on the spot if that makes any sense or reasoning behind why I think the fines were issued. Would pics of them going up on this site help move it along due to exposure of being lenient...maybe. I have a wing hunt planned tomorrow w/ amigo gw and will pass this along to get his $0.02.

Leggy, I'm good for $10 to go towards this good story & (sorry) funny thread. I do think some will get an education due to your misfortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                    Let me be clear.

Rules\laws are important and I'm thankful for the game warden doing his job.

Did I break the law? Yes!

Did Mary Bone or Ben Stovall break the law? No!

Did I have malicious intent? No!

Do I think I did anything even remotely worth a fine of $500? (or more) No!

Do I have a right to talk about it and share my misfortune? Yes!

Should I be glad I got cited? No!

Could the officers have given me a warning and earned a measure of respect? Yes!

Am I surprised? No... season just opened... these guys understand the woods are full of hunters again and they are prepared to do their job (as they should be).

Will I look at game wardens differently going forward? Ugh. This is the one that gets me. I'm sure these are nice guys but I also think that once the DPS officer called them, one ticket was already ready to be written. The fact that the second officer (the one who was not writing me up) was worried about how this would look on the internet let me know they are concerned about their image. They could have easily got the message across with a warning and saved the citations for the "bad guys". It was completely obvious to all there was not more than one deer in that baggie.

I'm sure many are thinking "dumb ace got what he deserved" and you have a right to feel that way. I made a mistake. No question or excuses. Hopefully the judge will see that there was no malicious intent and that my deer was being treated with the utmost respect... properly tagged in the ear and the meat painstakenly cared for.
                    First of all I never mentioned Mary or Ben in my comments and second we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as the Game Wardens not writing a ticked because the DPS officer was going to give one means nothing they are two totally differend divisions of enforcement. They each had a job to do and they did it.

I didn't know that citations should be only given to "bad guys" even if "good guys" break the same law. How is a Game Warden supposed to differentiate between the two.

Once again I'm sorry that you got cited and good luck with the judge.

>E

Comment

I didn't know that citations should be only given to "bad guys" even if "good guys" break the same law. How is a Game Warden supposed to differentiate between the two.

>E
                      Because it was obvious there were not multiple deer in the baggie. And it was obvious that the deer was proplerly tagged. I have no use for a doe's head in Dallas. I could of easily left it behind if I intended to break the law. Instead I had it with me to prove the sex of my deer. If you asked that warden today if he thought I was maliciously breaking our game laws I'm confident he'd say "no".

Yes, its that simple.

As for being hypocritical, I don't think Michael has ever fined anyone $500 for unintentionally breaking a forum rule.

Comment

Sorry this happened, but the good side of this is now all of us on the green screen know to double check all paper work and reread all the rules so it does not happen to us...

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post

As for being hypocritical, I don't think Michael has ever fined anyone $500 for unintentionally breaking a forum rule.
                          You are exactly right with this comment because there are no fines just infractions.

But.........

The point of my hypocritical comment has no bearing on a "fine". It is the perception that the rules or laws should have been "bent" in this case when it is pretty cut and dried that the game laws of the state were clearly broken.

Once again. Have a great day Steve.

Comment

You are exactly right with this comment because there are no fines just infractions.

But.........

The point of my hypocritical comment has no bearing on a "fine". It is the perception that the rules or laws should have been "bent" in this case when it is pretty cut and dried that the game laws of the state were clearly broken.

Once again. Have a great day Steve.
                            So the trooper "bent" the law by giving Michael a warning for no plate on his trailer? Do you also feel the trooper acted improperly in doing so?

I hope you have a great day as well. I'm trying!

Comment

Why all the hype? Law was broken, got a ticket , pay the fine, suck it up, move on!!!!! There's more hunting to be done. Sure they could have handled it differenty but let's don't forget yall decided to make it a cinamark moment so that is what you got --- plenty of pics!!!!!

Comment

Dangit, I was all ready to dogpile on and laugh at the outlaws, but.... dang, that stinks, Steven.

While I understand letter of the law, officer's are allowed to use their individual discretion as it should be. The officer's choice to give 2 citations in this instance was not only in my opinion poor judgment, but would also raise my concern over their ability to use discretion in the future. For example, now if I saw a lease member intentionally violating a game law, I would be concerned that I might be cited for something I'm not aware of, nor intended to violate if I were to summon a game warden.

Instead of taking this opportunity to point out the mistake Steven made while bolstering support for their duties with more guys on "their side" and more eyes in the field to help with their efforts, they chose the "letter of the law" and probably lost two... and with this thread many more.
                                Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Working...
                                X