Changed My Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed My Life

I've struggled with weight ever since college, and has gotten worse as life happened. I've tried every diet out there, but have never had much luck with them. My self-esteem was in the dumps, I struggled really bad with depression...I hated myself. Hated myself horribly. Blood pressure was 150/100, heart rate would sky rocket just going to check the mail. I had a customer tell me once he wouldn't buy from me because I was too fat and how could he trust someone that can't even take care of themselves?

It was killing me physically, mentally and professionally.

4 years ago we had our first child, a little girl named Emma. I've heard stories of people saying they want to get in shape for their kids, and be able to keep up with them, but never really thought anything of it. Well, when Emma turned 4, I wasn't able to keep up. I was the boring dad that never played outside with them because I was too sweaty or tired. It really ****** me off and I felt like less of a man.

What kind of example am I setting as a father, husband and a man? I was disgusted with myself.

February 1, 2020 I decided to change things. I went out and hired a personal trainer and paid for 12 sessions up front. Got a gym membership and bought a new leash for the dog. And downloaded MyFitnessPal on my phone.

I weighed in at 347 pounds on February 1. I would work out with my trainer once a week, and walk on the treadmill once a day, walk a couple of miles around the neighborhood with the dog, and eat right. The biggest difference I made was calorie intake. I don't know for sure, but I bet I was eating nearly 5000 calories a day in my previous life...essentially eating whatever I wanted. I cut my calorie intake down to 1,800 calories a day. I'm not diabetic, but was probably pre-diabetic, so I was really worried about my sugar levels since I've always struggled with dieting and getting shakey/light-headed/weak since I was cutting out the sugars. It was hell the first 2 weeks for my sugar-level, but after 2 weeks, my body seemed to have reset itself, and I haven't had a sugar issue since. It's been tremendous and really encouraged me to keep going.

Weight started coming off at a pretty nice rate; 3-6 pounds per week was normal, with an occasional 8-9 pound week thrown in.

Everything was going great...and then COVID-19 hit and my gym shut down and everything just got weird.

One great thing about COVID-19 is my neighborhood street really got to know each other. In that, I got to know my neighbor who is a Law Enforcement guy, and we've become really good friends. One of his passions is fitness, so he's kind of taken me under his wing, and has coached me since my previous fitness adventures were kind of at a stand still. I started working out with him starting on April 23 and would work out 2-3 times a day, 5 days a week. Very intense workouts that I never thought I would be able to do, but I've done it each time, every day, and it's been amazing.

Since February 1, I have dropped 100 pounds and I feel great. Blood pressure is 120/70. Resting heart rate is in the upper 50's. But I'm not done; goal is 205 pounds. It'll slow down a little bit, but I feel encouraged and know I can hit my goal in time.

Here's a few pics of my journey. Kind of putting everything out there, so don't judge me!

I know this was a bit long-winded, but I'm proud of myself and the change I've made and wanted to share.
    Attached Files

Thats awesome dude! keep it up man!

Comment

Great job, Inspiring!

Comment

The only judgement you should receive is just how motivating this is. Good on you for doing what you need to do for yourself!

Comment

well done. Congrats and keep it up

Comment

Awesome job, and just getting started!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep at it Bud sounds like you are on the right track !!

Comment

Fantastic work man! Glad you found your inspiration, and have been diligent and disciplined! Also, you should not apologize for your story. Perhaps you are inspiring someone else to do the same. Be proud and be loud about it! I know I would be

Comment

Fantastic all around sir!!! Nothing to be ashamed of

Comment

Good deal man. Keep at it.

Comment

How awesome is this! Congrats for buckling down and making it happen! I bet you feel great!

Comment

I love a good success story. Keep it up man, that's awesome

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats man! Keep it up.

Comment

absolutely awesome!!! Keep up the hard work and dedication to your life.

Comment

Awesome man. Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X