Paracord String Silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paracord String Silencers

Try four 2” pieces of paracord sheath, pull out the white threads. Install just like wool and shoot. Wool puff @45-47 grains and 4 PC 13.3 grains, works well and sheds water better. Gain a smidge of speed.

interesting! have any pics?

Comment

Definitely better than wool yarn.
      About the same as acrylic yarn.

I've been intending to do some experimenting with paracord, and foam ear plugs, but haven't got around to it yet.

Rick

Comment

I guess I'm spoiled. My Toelke bows come with cat whiskers already on the strings and I've never needed to install a string silencer of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
          I guess I'm spoiled. My Toelke bows come with cat whiskers already on the strings and I've never needed to install a string silencer of any kind.
          Other than being heavy, Cat Whiskers work great, especially on longbows that have no string to limb contact/slap.

On recurves as long as the brace height is set good for them you're usually good to go, but if the brace is low, the weight of the whiskers increase the force of the limb slap, thus increase the slap noise level.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Wudstix, that sounds nice and easy and is something I’ll try.

Comment

After about 50 shots starting to fluff out nicely.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Stix...thatll save me some money from buying catwhiskers. Paracord is always in the pack.

Comment

Just passing along what I learned/heard.

Comment

Put another 60 shots through longbow and noticed a bit more pop in the arrows, tighter grouping and pretty quiet. Thinking these will be GTG. Still not all fluffed out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                      Other than being heavy, Cat Whiskers work great, especially on longbows that have no string to limb contact/slap.

On recurves as long as the brace height is set good for them you're usually good to go, but if the brace is low, the weight of the whiskers increase the force of the limb slap, thus increase the slap noise level.

Rick
                      Interesting... I know the Toelke's cut their catwhiskers pretty short. I'd imagine to try and keep the weight down some. Someday I'm gonna put together a string building kit and do my own testing. I like the idea of lighter and faster.

Comment

@3.3 grains per 2” paracord sheath piece and I can see and feel the difference from wool puffs. Crisp and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                          Definitely better than wool yarn.
                          About the same as acrylic yarn.

I've been intending to do some experimenting with paracord, and foam ear plugs, but haven't got around to it yet.

Rick
                          Finish the remodel first. Hunting season is creeping up on us.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Wudstix, I tried paracord silencers after reading your post and watching the Push video. I recently started shooting a mild R/D 62" longbow after a love affair of many years with ASLs, on which I did not put any silencers.
                            The paracord fluffs up nicely after a few shots and really does a nice job at quieting my bow.

Comment

Put another 61 arrows down range, @175 total starting to fluff out nicely. Adjusted the paracord to 12” from nock grooves and got quieter, still tweaking length on 2315 and 2219, may end up with heavy hardwood arrows.

Comment

Working...
                              X