No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the garden planted and have a few things coming up, but now the temp is supposed to drop monday night. Ive watched the weather app today and its called anywhere from 36 to 45. Dad lives in Denver City, hes always gone by the Good Friday planting rule and this year hes already planted and at one point weather app called for snow in Denver City on Monday night lol. Iv got straw hay and plastic i guess if forecast holds true or gets worse.

Comment

for the raised bed guys....how deep do they need to be? I have a lot of 2x6's...guess I could stack 2 together...thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
        for the raised bed guys....how deep do they need to be? I have a lot of 2x6's...guess I could stack 2 together...thoughts?
        That would definitely work. I might do three 2x6's to give you some room to add mulch or compost yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
          My raised beds are only one cinder block high....but I pulled out the 'ol shovel and dug out about 1'-1.5' down of clay before filling. So its a little deceiving.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

The wife’s herb bed.

Cherry tomatoes doing good

Hinged raised beds with bird netting.

Waiting on the rain to push the 13-13-13 down before bedding and planting the in ground stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How do y’all keep the coons out of your compost when you add fish heads?

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                  Got the garden planted and have a few things coming up, but now the temp is supposed to drop monday night. Ive watched the weather app today and its called anywhere from 36 to 45. Dad lives in Denver City, hes always gone by the Good Friday planting rule and this year hes already planted and at one point weather app called for snow in Denver City on Monday night lol. Iv got straw hay and plastic i guess if forecast holds true or gets worse.
                  I'm in Odessa and planted everything but okra this week. I certainly hope it stays above freezing

Comment

Most of my raised beds are 2 cinder blocks deep. I also cemented 1" pvc in the blocks every 6 ft so i can but up a hoop house over the beds if needed. my biggest delay in my direct sow plants is usually soil temp.

Comment

I started my hydroponic grow barrels today after work. I found a couple black barrels that have screw on tops that i cut a hole in. Its a one time fertilizer blend that will keep the cucumber and squash plants growing all season and no soil needed other than what little bit i used in the planter cup to start the seeds.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

What's everyone's plans for this Easter snap this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 30s Saturday night thru Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                          What's everyone's plans for this Easter snap this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 30s Saturday night thru Tuesday.
                          Been kinda dry down here in my neck o the woods so I'm hopin to get a little rain outta it. But sittin here @ work, watchin the radar and looks like most of it will will be on the north side of Houston and I'm to the south on the coast. Oh well, break out the sprinkler again!

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                            As long as it's in the upper 30's I'm not too worried. I'll put out more hay around each plant to keep frost off is about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                              How do y’all keep the coons out of your compost when you add fish heads?
                              You don't. I just chop and shove and spread and some remnants still feed the dirt. I covered with logs, bigger rocks etc . They moved em. A dog might work but my dog who passed recently was inside at night. I let her out some at night and had less trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                                Have any of you guys ever seen Leon Sloan on youtube? I met him last year at his huge greenhouse/gardening center in Kingston Ok. He got me into using syrup tubs for my plants. The tubs are made up so they hold a reservoir of water. He also got me into using 55 gallon food grade barrels to grow using the hydroponic method. This man is a wealth of gardening knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSD..._BlLuWSiEr7TJQ
                                Yep. He's a master. Go to the Gardening playlist on my youtube channel and you will recognize some of his self-wicking totes and barrel cucumbers/watermelons:

Two retired public servants living out our dreams by moving out of the big city to 21 wooded acres in Leon County, TX. Please follow along as we learn a little, pass on a little, and live a lot. We raise TAMUK Composite meat rabbits, jumbo coturnix quail, Freedom Ranger meat chickens, and other domestic animals to make us less reliant on the stores. We are dabbling in gardening, hunting, tractoring, and just enjoying life.

Comment

Working...
                                X