No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone grow Purple Tree Collards? I'm thinking about giving the a try in one of my raised beds.

Comment

Got the tomatoes planted at the house.
      Hope they do as good as last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
        Moved I to a new house so starting over. Have the ground tilled several times, removed all the grass I could and added in 7 yards of mushroom compost. Will till a few more times and plant the end of this month. Here's a picture with my happy helper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
        Coming along

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
          Coming along

Curious how much you have vested in drip line for that size garden?

Comment

Looking at getting my seeds in the ground today as it just dried out enough to get my tilling done and some rows formed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Starting with yellow squash, okra, tomatoes and cilantro today.

I live in a subdivision, so I'm pretty limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Curious how much you have vested in drip line for that size garden?
                About $300. Bulk hose and fittings cut to length. Put on timers in two different zones. Works good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  What soil do you use in your pots?

I got my wife some herbs and was going to use Mericalgro garden soil, but noticed on the bag it said in ground use. My Dad said to use potting soil as the MG would probably not do well with water inn the pots.
                  a mix of all purpose garden soil, composted cow manure, and clay from my ranch in rocksprings.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                    getting the final prep done before planting. I'm trying to resist the urge to plant now but we usually get a freeze right around Easter.

[ATTACH]996939[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996940[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996941[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996942[/ATTACH]
                    Looks like you are set up with a hoop garden so you can cover them if there is a freeze.
                    I got all but 4 plants in the ground yesterday evening before it got too dark. It rained overnight so that helped get them settled in. Will get those 4 others today in the mud and hope we don't get a freeze from here on out, but as you say there usually one around easter. I'll just have to be prepared with blankets, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                      Looking at getting my seeds in the ground today as it just dried out enough to get my tilling done and some rows formed.

I understand row planting in typical farming when you irrigate in-between the rows to get water to the roots, but in a veggie garden are rows necessary when you are watering in a different fashion (or maybe you are irrigating in the valleys)?

Comment

Mulched the garden today and picked a little asparagus between the showers.

Comment

Got 2 little volunteer tomatoes coming up from last year don't know what they are. I hope they make it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

2020 Gardening thread

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            I understand row planting in typical farming when you irrigate in-between the rows to get water to the roots, but in a veggie garden are rows necessary when you are watering in a different fashion (or maybe you are irrigating in the valleys)?

last year kept everything flat and it would never dry out and got a lot of root rot. Keeping higher makes me water but easier to control it being too saturated.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                              last year kept everything flat and it would never dry out and got a lot of root rot. Keeping higher makes me water but easier to control it being too saturated.

Nothing wrong with it, just wandering. Maybe you can set up an irrigation system?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                                Nothing wrong with it, just wandering. Maybe you can set up an irrigation system?

I usually just put a sprinkler on a t-post. Tried soakers and my hard water clogged them, and made pvc squares with lawn sprinklers but my water pressure only lets me use 2 heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X