• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Raging Bull 454 Casull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post
      Finally getting a chance to sit down and get back on here.

This thread makes me want to go to the gun store store tomorrow!!!

Keep posting them.

What ammo do you 10mm shooters like to hunt with?

I shoot Underwood Ammo, either 200 grain XTP or 220 grain hardcast. Both perform great on deer and pigs.

I do have some 155 grain Barnes XPBs loaded up but have yet to find the time to try them out.

Need to add this one to the mix since we are talking 10mm.

GP100 6” converted to 10mm. This was before Ruger introduced any of their current 10mm revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Model 83 Freedom arms .44 with scope, Model 83 Freedom arms .454 Casull, Colt I assembled with a Wilson barrel set up for .45 Super, 6 inch 10mm I assembled, Ruger .22/45 with scope and TacSol upper for squirrels..There are others, but these are the ones carried as "primary " hunting pieces, My Encore wears a rifle barrel at present. The .45 Super is a Colt I assembled, I fit a Wilson barrel, and Ed Brown Beavertail, C&S trigger and sear parts, Novak Extreme duty adjustable sights, a 22 lb. spring and a spring assist guide rod. The 10 mm is a Fusion barrel and slide, fitted to a Caspian lower frame, Ed Brown beavertail, C&S trigger parts has Fusion BoMar style sights.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by softpoint; 02-13-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

So I have been reading up on the pistol scopes and I seem to be leaning more toward a fixed power and away from the variable power scopes. Those of you with the variable power scopes... does the eye relief really get too close to the gun when its zoomed in? Do any of yall have experience with the Leupold FX-II 4x28? I know Leupold is good glass and a good company just wondering how the 18in eye relief is on a pistol. Price is around $400 which is good with me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
            So I have been reading up on the pistol scopes and I seem to be leaning more toward a fixed power and away from the variable power scopes. Those of you with the variable power scopes... does the eye relief really get too close to the gun when its zoomed in? Do any of yall have experience with the Leupold FX-II 4x28? I know Leupold is good glass and a good company just wondering how the 18in eye relief is on a pistol. Price is around $400 which is good with me as well.

I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5-8 on a TC Encore. It sucks. The eye relief does change with increase in magnification and the field of view SUCKS.

I have no experience with the Leupold you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a 2x6 Bushnell Trophy on my .375 Win Contender as I did on my .260 Rem Encore which I sold, but I'm running a Nikon fixed 2x on the SBH .44 and it seems to be ideal. I never used anything above 3x on the variables except when shooting paper.

Comment

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
                In a fixed power I would go with no more than 2.5X, with 2X being preferable. I have a 2.5x Nikon on my Ruger MK II, and a 2 - 6X BUSHNELL on my .454 Super Redhawk. Its difficult getting an animal in the field of view on 5x or 6x. Lots easier getting a critter in the field of view at 2X or 3X. I've killed deer at 100- 125 yds with my .454 set on 2X.

Comment

All pistol scopes are going to suck compared to rifle scopes, it's just the nature of having the scope so far from your eye. I like the variables on my rifle cartridge pistols because I will take them out past 200 but can dial them back for close shots. If the eye relief isn't working I will just bend my arms to make it work which isn't an issue when using a rest. For a revolver I'd just stick with a red dot or low power fixed. Here's a list of pistol scopes I have, I'm 6'2 with long arms.

Ref dot's: no eye relief issues, some have a narrow FOV
                  2X Leupold: great ER, good FOV, not much magnification
                  2.5X Thompson Center: good combo of mag, FOV and ER, didn't survive on the 8mm mauser
                  4X Leupold: good ER, usable FOV at 25 yards plus
                  4X Swift: good ER, slightly better FOV than 4x Leupold but not as clear
                  2-7 Burris: poor ER and so so FOV at max, decent ER and usable FOV at 4x, really clear and has AO
                  2.5x8 Weaver: so so ER and poor FOV at max, good ER and so so FOV at 4x
                  2x7 NC Star: crap, crap, and crap; only got it to put on a chipmunk .22 pistol, did get 1/4" groups at 50 yards with it

Comment

If you buy a new pistol scope, buy Leupold, unless you get a VERY good deal on something else. Look through a Leupold first, then decide if you can live with anything else. Burris, Nikon, also make fair pistol scopes. Stick with a 2 to 2.5 x glass unless you are rigging up a handrifle to do ultra long range shooting. Red dots are also good on some setups, for shorter range work.

Comment

Super Redhawk in 44mag
                      KIMG1709 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Bought this last month, gonna use it this next season. Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been thinking of using a handgun for hunting every since I had to give up my recurves due to a shot shoulder. Killed some deer, hogs, critters last couple of years with a rifle, but it's too easy. (sometimes lol.) So.. I have an s&w 586, open sights, (but I'd add a red dot or scope) and am wondering if anyone uses a 357 mag enough to point me in the right direction, ammo, sight, max range, etc.
                          Yeah, I've read up on it, but would like to hear from the brilliant minds on the green screen.

Comment

Got 2 in the classifieds

Comment

Just picked it up!!! Can’t wait to shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rugers, .22 convert,. 45 convert, and .44 mag.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X