Fixed Broad head vs Mechanical ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post

Now I would say arrow weight and FOC are way important then broadhead choice.
    Not necessarily, broadhead design has a pretty profound impact on penetration. In actuality head design, mass weight and FOC are all very important maybe even equal to some extent. The best approach is clearly to maximize all three and is what most of the discriminating folks out there do. There are without a doubt plausible circumstances where a lighter arrow with lower FOC equipped with a higher efficiency head can and will out penetrate a heavier higher FOC arrow using a head with a less efficient design. Worst case scenarios include head failure all together regardless of FOC or mass weight. It’s really about .(1) the integrity of the complete system and (2) the maximum killing potential of the build. It’s how the pieces of the puzzle fit and more importantly how they influence one another in achieving terminal performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both. Just can’t beat the effectiveness of a rage on animals. But I also like to play with fixed blades and also use them to make sure my bow is tuned and shooting straight. Can’t go wrong with a thunderhead or a black hornet.

That said I also have 2 simmons in the quiver to use on hogs, a 190 gr 2” and a 175 gr 1 5/8”

Comment

Originally posted by Revelation View Post
        I'm shooting a Vertix and Triax.
        64 lb pull
        29" draw
        Blackeagle - Rampage arrow -350 / .001
        With that delivery system you have plenty of potential energy to shoot what you like, either fixed or mechanical. So it really does come down to personal choice.

Like others have said, there is more to an arrow than what you screw on to the front, mass and FOC play important roles as well.

I really like the hybrid mechanical designs we are seeing like the Rage Extreme and others, even though I am more partial to cut on contact heads like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade myself.

Pigs are tough and your arrow will be hitting a moving target, but again, with your bow/draw length/poundage you shouldn't have a problem using either style.

So, for me a mechanical would be like the Rage 4 blade Extreme and for fixed I shoot the Magnus Stinger 4 blade.

Comment

I’ve shot both over the years. My personal choice for my set up is NAP Killzones for mech and Slick tricks for fixed. You’re gonna get a lot of answers on this and will probably evolve into some back and forth arguing but I think you’re good either way as long as your BH is sharp and as long as you can put your arrows where you are aiming and are aiming in the right spot.

Comment

fixed muzzys are my tried and true. they dont have the chance to mess up like a mechanical.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
              I’ve shot both over the years. My personal choice for my set up is NAP Killzones for mech and Slick tricks for fixed. You’re gonna get a lot of answers on this and will probably evolve into some back and forth arguing but I think you’re good either way as long as your BH is sharp and as long as you can put your arrows where you are aiming and are aiming in the right spot.

This is totally accurate. I'm a Rage guy, have shot them for years with one mishap that was all my fault. Don't get caught up in the debate of what is best. Find you something you like and take it for a test drive. I've been down the road of trial and error and landed on Rages because I like the huge wounds and amazing blood trails. I've found deer on marginal shots that I feel were credited to 2"+ wound. My one mishap was because I bought a pack of the Rage Extremes and didn't shoot one before I went hunting. Turns out the blades were too long for my arrows and the blade hit the rest when I drew back causing it to open. Luckily it was just a turkey, but I think I sent that arrow into orbit.. never did find it.

Comment

Mechanicals are WAAAAAAY better than fixed. Especially the 85gr with a 3” cut moving at 350fps

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                  I like rocket sidewinders and wasp jackhammers

Like a ballistic tip for arrows
                  Good choices.

Comment

Heavy arrow, high FOC, tuned bow and broadheads on straight and sharp and you confidence in your ability to put the arrow where it needs to be are my go to facts for me.

595 grain arrow, 20% FOC and a Ramcat 125 grain head seem to work for me the best.

Lots of choices and lots of variable, but there are some top notch guys on here that can help you thru any problems you have such as Muddyfuzzy and Rat. Ranchfairy has some good info on youtube.

Comment

no mechanical for me, I guide and have seen many failures. I know the do work but not willing to take the chance on it not opening or a broken rubberband. my 2 cents.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is pure preference discussion but here is how I chose: if I don’t want to tune and spend time uniquely tuning each arrow and spend hours shooting the broadheads. I normally then will chose mechanical for medium to small game. For big game and if I really want confidence in my combinations. I go fixed, all day.

Comment

Rage hypos for me but have had success with muzzys and slick tricks. In the end shot placement and having confidence in what you shoot is the most important.

Comment

I see you didnt waste anytime opening a can of worms lol..

Comment

2 words........shot placement!

Lots of choices out there so use what you’re comfortable with using or experimenting with. I prefer spitfires.

Comment

QAD Exodus and don’t look back!

Comment

Working...
                                X