• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotella T6 in my diesels every 10k, plenty good enough

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      10k here, and change the filter at 5k.
      Mobile 1 Synthetic EP states it's good for 15k, so I figure at 10k I'm fine.
      This is on a Tundra.
      Shouldn't it be the opposite? If the book, oil, or filter (or all) say to change at 15k then you an bet it's good for more miles than that.

Companies have to sell as much as they can. Zero chance they stretch to the max for what they say. Same with the car manual.

And what's changed to make oil last longer, the oil or car designs?

Does anyone simple pull the dipstick and look at the oil to see if it's dirty?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        My trailblazer died at 300k. I changed the oil about every 20-30k
        I knew a guy that hanged his oil once LOL It was so thick it took forever to drain. Didn't seem to hurt the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Shouldn't it be the opposite? If the book, oil, or filter (or all) say to change at 15k then you an bet it's good for more miles than that.

Companies have to sell as much as they can. Zero chance they stretch to the max for what they say. Same with the car manual.

And what's changed to make oil last longer, the oil or car designs?

Does anyone simple pull the dipstick and look at the oil to see if it's dirty?
          Both have changed. Engines have tighter tolerances these days and oils are better quality with better performing additive packages.

Im running and changing full synthetic oils at 10k. The owners manuals on my vehicles are saying to change standard oil at 10k so im good.

I buy oil filters, air filters etc in bulk. They are super cheap. I buy my oil with rebates or really good sales.

Im doing full synthetic oil changes for 23 bucks or less. Im not worried that i could save a few more pennies and i know its done right.

Comment

I've change the oil in all my vehicles at 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 synthetic for about 20 years, although I have swapped to Schaeffer's for the last few years. The guys at the quick oil change place all got a kick out if the green Schaeffer's oil and rubbed it on their fingers. They said their fingers were still slick even after wiping it off. After one guy tried that, they all had to check it out. /https://www.schaefferoil.com/

I have sent off the oil from each vehicle at 10k miles for testing and the report always came back that it was still good. However 10k is good enough for me, so that's when I change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              I have a 2017 F250 6.7 and change the oil every 5k so I can have my tires rotated with the oil change and water fuel separator done at the same time every 15k. My last oil change, air filter, tire rotation and water fuel separator was around $460. To me it’s not worth my time to make the extra trip to rotate the tires in between oil changes.

My wife’s 2017 Audi S7 gets an oil change every 10k or once a year. I’ve blown 3 tires in 8k miles so I factor an extra $470 x2 for every oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Man, how much do they charge to rotate your tires? ��. Seems like they are knocking your head off on rotation or air filter.

Comment

Oil change, thoughts

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                Man, how much do they charge to rotate your tires? ��. Seems like they are knocking your head off on rotation or air filter.

$100 for air filter and probably $25 to $35 to rotate tires. They did top off the DPF,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5000-7000 mile oil changes with Mobile 1 full Synthetic in my ‘02 TRD Tundra. Truck runs like new.

Comment

synthetic is cheaper than it used to be so several years ago I went to it, every 10k miles. I used to be a every 3k miles with conventional oil guy but that gets really old, really quick since I change my own.

Comment

I own a repair shop. Variable Valve Timing. Pay for more oil changes or pay for expensive repairs later.

Comment

I change it every 5000 miles or so and use synthetic blend. Also rotate tires then. Truck has 208k on it and still going strong. I will let it go longer if mostly doing highway driving but if I'm pulling my camper, a lot of off road driving where it's dusty, or a lot of stop and go driving, I tend to stick with every 5k.

Serpentine belt can probably wait to 100k. This coming from someone whose belt broke on a family vacation that had wife, 3 kids, and a dog on the side of the highway in July and had to get towed to a campground to spend the night to get a belt the next day. But I had over 175k on the belt when that happened. I think you're safe waiting a little longer but don't wait like I did.

Comment

2018 GMC 2500 Duramax- I use Rotella , whenever my truck tells me I need to. I think people overthink this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Engines burn much cleaner that in the past. Oil technologies are better as well.

I use regular Rotella in my Cummins. I’ve run it as high as 16k miles. Had a Blackstone oil analysis and the oil was still sufficient.

Now I normally change around 7500 miles, rotate my tires and the same time and change fuel filters every other change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            This is spot on. I run Rotella in both my cummins and motorcraft in the powerstroke.

Comment

I shoot for 7000 and usually get around to it about 8 or 9000.

Comment

I have a 16 6.2 f250. I change it every 5k that way i can change my oil and get my tires taken care of at the same time makes it easier

Comment

Working...
                                X