What ammo for pheasant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
    10 4, thx. Yes, we will be shootin at pen raised birds.
    6 is good, make sure it’s lead.

Steel doesn’t have as much energy.

Shot 18 in two days a few weeks ago in Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
      #6s with a 20ga will be ok?
      We hunted in Kansas a few weeks ago and there was older guy that switched from 20 to 12 mid hunt because he wasn’t knocking them down.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
        We hunted in Kansas a few weeks ago and there was older guy that switched from 20 to 12 mid hunt because he wasn’t knocking them down.
        That's a Indian not the arrow issue. Most of my group shoots high brass 28 ga 6's very efficiently.

Comment

I have always used 7 1/2 or even #8's in a 12ga. and did fine. These were wild birds. Only reason, we always got into quail as well and could not knock those suckers down with #6's!!!
          Since yall will be hunting pen birds, 7 1/2 is probably all you will need.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
            That's a Indian not the arrow issue. Most of my group shoots high brass 28 ga 6's very efficiently.
            Definitely could have been.

I’ve shot them only with 12g.

Comment

What are most of y'all shooting, Pterodactyls? I've had good luck with a 28ga using 7.5's.

Comment

Just came back from my first (2) pheasant hunts this year. One in Kansas and one near college station. Both were planted birds and we used high brass 2 3/4” 7.5 shot and that was plenty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We've used 12ga 3" #5s the last two years on wild birds in Kansas with great results.

Comment

Working...
                  X