Boat title question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat title question

I have a problem that has come up on a boat that I sold last year. I paid the loan off and signed the title over to the new owners last year. Today I get a call asking if I had the title for the motor and trailer. The bank only sent me the boat title when I paid the loan off. I plan on calling the bank tomorrow but I'm not sure how far that will get me. Do any of you know if there is supposed to be a title for the boat, one for the motor and one for the trailer?

Where did you originally buy the boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should be a motor title somewhere. Trailer title maybe not, just a bill of sale. Check with your insurance company. They may have a copy.

Comment

One for the boat and one for the motor. I dont think all trailers need title just the registration. I just did my boat yesterday.

Comment

Buyer shouldn't need the title as registration is tied to the boat, but definitely get it from the bank and get it to them if you can. You can probably get a duplicate and go that route.

Comment

Title for the boat, title for the motor and registration for the trailer.

The bank should take care of you. Explain what happened, it won't be the first time they dealt with a boat loan and the titles that go along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Buyer shouldn't need the title as registration is tied to the boat, but definitely get it from the bank and get it to them if you can. You can probably get a duplicate and go that route.
              Unless you are going to take a loan out against it. Then they are gonna want the titles to both. Even if the loan is small enough to cover it just with the hull. They will want the titles to the whole enchilada.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                Unless you are going to take a loan out against it. Then they are gonna want the titles to both. Even if the loan is small enough to cover it just with the hull. They will want the titles to the whole enchilada.
                Oh yeah for sure, but in this case it's been a year. I'm betting the buyer went to sell it in this high price market and he's being asked by potential buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Oh yeah for sure, but in this case it's been a year. I'm betting the buyer went to sell it in this high price market and he's being asked by potential buyers.
                  Probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                    One for the boat and one for the motor. I dont think all trailers need title just the registration. I just did my boat yesterday.

No there is, or at least used to be a title for the trailer. That may have changed recently. I just had my Dad’s Allweld 1448 signed over to me. It was bought in Louisiana in 1998. Title for boat and a second for the trailer were included. Im about to get both registered here in TX

Comment

Contact your bank and see if they still have it but odds are slim. You can file with TPWD for a replacement title. However, depending upon how soon the new owner wants it, expediting cost extra with TPWD. I had to order replacements for mine after realizing the credit union never sent me the titles after I paid mine off.

Comment

Did he never register it with TPWD, I bet its still under your name. Our local tpwd office would not do anything without the motor title also.

Comment

All 3 boats I've owned had titles separately for boat, motor, and trailer.

Comment

Working...
                          X