No announcement yet.

Neighbor Hunting Agreements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've been fortunate that at least one neighbor was conservation minded and together we've started to influence our other neighbors. It took a couple of years for our family to be accepted by the other established landowners and we've worked towards building friendships.

Change has to start somewhere.

Comment

Know why you shouldn’t feed the bears or lazy folk ?

Guess dats conservation and management too.

Sorry if I don’t take the helpless animal view.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
        We've been fortunate that at least one neighbor was conservation minded and together we've started to influence our other neighbors. It took a couple of years for our family to be accepted by the other established landowners and we've worked towards building friendships.

Change has to start somewhere.

This!

Comment

THey are usually awesome ideas until your neighbors nephew sees a 2yo 8pt or 3yo 10pt.

Comment

My neighbors have agreed to pass all non mature bucks with potential... unless they actually see it while hunting.

It is a lovely dream though and sounds productive!

Comment

Good luck, probably a steep uphill climb. I know from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                My neighbors have agreed to pass all non mature bucks with potential... unless they actually see it while hunting.

It is a lovely dream though and sounds productive!

Ha!!

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Well, we are starting our search for a property to hunt, shoot, ATV, etc. Wont be our primary due to us wanting to keep kids in a good school system. Katy doesn’t have many 50+ acres tracts for sale haha.

Question for the GS: have any of y’all approached neighbors to start an agreed upon deer mgmt program? My goal is to avoid the neighbor that shoots everything with antlers by working together and educating them and learning them how to age... maybe even a protein program. We’d be talking 50-100 acre properties where I’ve been looking recently. Seems like a tall task so lookin for experience/advice.
                  That’s no true, look at La Prada in Fulshear.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                    That’s no true, look at La Prada in Fulshear.

Wow.. just googled. That’s a nice spot! Over my budget for 75 acres though!!

Comment

Best place I ever hunted was 15 acres. Surrounded by exactly what you describe. Lots of activity and lots of surprises opening weekend. Buy your piece if heaven. Do on that piece as you feel. And do not attempt to govern the neighbors.

Comment

We put one together in Colorado county, a while back, called Harvey Creek Coop. Worked out good, til TPWD got involved.

Comment

Good luck. Got a new neighbor last year. I talked with him about trying to manage deer to their full potential. I have been feeding for years and showed them pictures of two 4.5 ( a ten and twelve pointer with kickers ) year old deer that would definately been exceptional bucks in another two years. They killed both bucks the first time they saw them.

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to feel them out. Either way, don't waste the effort trying to "educate" them. More often than not you'll come across as mr elitist horn hunter, and that just ticks people off. I hunt 50 ac, and any "management" you do means nothing unless you get a bunch of property involved, not enough worth having a bad relationship with the neighbors.

Comment

It always goes well when people from the city buy rural property and want to tell the locals what to do on theirs. Buying land in a co-op would be your best bet. We’ve got some in our area that have 50 acres and think they own thousands.

Comment

No disrespect, but Sounds like I wouldn’t want you as my neighbor.

You want to be the new guy in an area and you think you’re going to “educate” them?

Comment

Working...
                                X