Plant Operator Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
    Do not use channel locks to beat on electrical stuff.

Use a valve wrench instead [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
      Do not use channel locks to beat on electrical stuff.
      Know how to use channel locks period. You laugh but before I retired in 2015 they had to implement a small tools training program. It was due to a couple of major burns due to injuries that occurred and this was the root cause they said.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post

You’d be a shift supervisor for sure in my unit.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post

Negative ghost rider, ain’t happening.[emoji1787]

Comment

Lol...channel locks...aka 440 calibration

Comment

Every good instrument tech knows that a 10” crescent or 420 channelocks have repaired many an instrument. And if you can’t fix it, break it so no one else can fix it and make you look bad😄👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post

Yep, its called percussive maintenance.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice above gentlemen. Hammerdown has been REALLY helpful to me in preparation for this job and I appreciate his and all yalls advice so far. Looking forward to this next chapter in my life. You're all good people.

Comment

Maintain a good diet and make sure you get sufficient sleep, make it a priority. Shiftwork is already bad for you and if you eat terrible and don't get enough rest it'll make it worse. Especially if your working the control room. Many a man work 30+ years shiftwork and kill over dead within a year after retirement. The other main thing some one already mentioned is follow the work, no matter the area.

Comment

Suck azz, bring movies and a crock pot and you'll be golden! Bahaaaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        “I’m not sure what happened. It just came into alarm and we called y’all”.

Seriously OP. I would not stress too much about it. There is already lots of good advice.
                        The things that I would add or repeat are to focus on really learning the plant. Don’t try to memorize everything, try to learn everything. Figure out the why so when things get abnormal you will have an understanding of why and how to correct. Most operators won’t learn it to that level of detail and when it comes down around their ears they will be the first ones to hide out in the bathroom. If you get assigned a trainer/mentor and they get on their phone for awhile, that should not be an invitation for you to do the same. Take those breaks as an opportunity to trace lines or study.

Comment

Max out your 401K if you have one and OT is for extras. Budget off of base pay. Really good advise listed above.

Comment

Take out the trash @ 0430 every morning . Clean the frig when ask to do so

Comment

Originally posted by DBL-T View Post
                              Max out your 401K if you have one and OT is for extras. Budget off of base pay. Really good advise listed above.
                              ^^^^this^^^^^ don't try to keep up with the Jones... Retire early and wave at them on their way to work...

Comment

Ask your colleagues every now and then "How am I doing?" "Is there something that I need to do better?" You can't improve if you don't know what to improve on.
                                You would like to do this throughout your career in anything you do. You don't want to find out for the 1st time that your team feels that you are slacking or lacking something when it's time for your Annual Performance Review with your Leader.
                                And I have followed these three rules to make it 33 years and counting.
                                Never forget where you came from.
                                Treat people the way you want to be treated.
                                Talk to people the way you want to be talked too.

Comment

Working...
                                X