Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    I gotta have bark. On all my beef roasts, smoked or not. Hell even my steak I want charred rare medium rare or seared to a bark in butter on cast iron. The protein development in a crust contains the majority of flavor you can impart on red meat.

Yup yup.... bark is the key..

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
      That looks fantastic!
      Yessir! That looks almost perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Bark...or crust as you labeled it, is a combination of the rub, the meat’s juices rendering and layers and layers of smoke forming on the surface in the process. You have to have a good blue smoke fire (stick burner preferred), a good trim, a good heavy rub or salt/pepper combination and time to get a solid bark. Bark layers much better on meat than fat and is a reason folks trim. These big fat caps on briskets and pork butts folks neglect to trim are not going to produce a good bark. And since bark is also where most of the flavor is, their product is going to suffer. The better the bark the better the brisket/PB/ribs. One more thing. Grates are hell on bark so I always do the 1/4” trimmed fat cap down. The bark forms so much better when it can layer directly on the top of the actual meat and the thin fat cap can render down and not mess up the layered smoke. When you cut it you also have a cleaner slice after removing the flat from the point.

And I wrap every time. The bark is made before wrapping. Now I don’t wrap until 160-170 internal (never by time). It depends on how the bark is formed at those temps that determines where at 160-170 I wrap. It just takes time and the things I mentioned above. Main reason I wrap though after the bark is set is to push through the stall. Ain’t nobody got time for a 2-3 hour hiccup. You can open the foil pan at the end and tighten it up.

WOW!!!! That looks almost perfect

Comment

I get better bark if I wrap in paper. I wrap at 165 and pull at 203. Rest is also a huge key most people (me included) don't always utilize. 4 hours or more in a cooler/warmer and it is always better.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
            I get better bark if I wrap in paper. I wrap at 165 and pull at 203. Rest is also a huge key most people (me included) don't always utilize. 4 hours or more in a cooler/warmer and it is always better.
            Where do you take temp when it’s at 203, point or flat? My temps always vary considerably between the two.

Comment

I should stay away from these threads this early . . . now I'm starving!

Comment

More pics please

Comment

When you cut it you also have a cleaner slice after removing the flat from the point.
                  I have not been able to yet separate the flat and point successfully. Any pointers?

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
                    Where do you take temp when it’s at 203, point or flat? My temps always vary considerably between the two.
                    Right in the middle of the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                      I gotta have bark. On all my beef roasts, smoked or not. Hell even my steak I want charred rare medium rare or seared to a bark in butter on cast iron. The protein development in a crust contains the majority of flavor you can impart on red meat.
                      Same.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                        I have not been able to yet separate the flat and point successfully. Any pointers?
                        The way I do it is lay brisket fat up. Grab the flat about half way up and lift it up off the cutting board and look a the side and you can see about where it tries to separate. Insert knife there and kinda start "filleting" towards the flat. That's how I do it. I'm sure everyone does it a little different.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. If you want to do the absolute minimum then sure... but to get a true Texas layered bark set then no.
                          Its is heat really, not so much smoke for the bark anyhow. There are a lot of ways to do it, but I do like a dark brisket!

Comment

I have done them all kinds of different ways. Smart is spot on as to cooking based on temps and not times. You can get "rough" times based on size of brisket and temps cooked at however every brisket will cook different. Everybody's taste are different and I tell people all the time don't be afraid to try different things! You really cant mess up to bad as look as you cook it right (temps). In other words as long as its not over or under cooked it will taste pretty good. Personally, I always use a mix of pecan and mesquite and try to cook at the 225-240 mark. That is just my preference on smoke. I and NOT a hickory fan. Again, just a personal preference. I also agree that the stick burner is the way to go and for ME has produced the best bark. However, at the lease I will stick burn for 4 hours and then put into the oven just because I can go hunt and not worry and it always turns out very good (Not as good as the full length stick but dang good non the less). I wrap as well to assist the stall. Personal preference is salt pepper, paprika, garlic powder as a dry rub. My dad liked to make a paste of mustard, BBQ sauce and brown sugar that I will do every now and then in remembrance and that makes a great taste although different. To some up, Smart in my opinion i spot on with how to achieve a great bark.

Comment

You can get bark on a pellet smoker but its a lot harder than a stick burner.

I rub mine with mustard and a ton of dry rub seasoning. I cook until about 160-170 degrees open, than wrap in butcher paper. DONT USE TIN FOIL. I generally get decent bark with a pit boss, but nothing like a stick burner. As stated above, it has nothing to do with time, its all about the temp.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                                Its is heat really, not so much smoke for the bark anyhow. There are a lot of ways to do it, but I do like a dark brisket!

Actually no.... the color is a combination of it all. But specifically, the layered smoke darkens the bark.... the heat renders the fat and meat juices to help create the layers the smoke darkens

Comment

Working...
                                X