Why you don’t own an AR 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    I think they are cool and enjoy seeing the lengths people go to build them out but I just don't have any use for one. I don't shoot the few rifles I have that much.
    This to. I’m at the age that I’m downsizing. We have a special needs son and doesn’t care for shooting deer but loves to go hunting, sleep in a hotel, eat out, and sit in a deer blind. It’s all about him for as long as I can keep going.

Comment

Get a 300 blackout. I hunt in the hill country and have no problem taking down whitetail. I shot a axis in the neck with a 300 blackout and it dropped it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jack12 View Post
        Get a 300 blackout. I hunt in the hill country and have no problem taking down whitetail. I shot a axis in the neck with a 300 blackout and it dropped it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I get that brother. But Im not steady enough to shoot a deer in the neck. Always been a behind the shoulder guy. Does a 300 blow the deer up?

Comment

Not in my experience. A good bullet behind the shoulder puts them down fast.

Comment

ARs are fun to shoot, .223 will kill deer just fine with the right bullet at reasonable range. 300 BO is ok, 6.5 Grendel a better choice IMO if you don't want to suppress. I prefer the ergonomics of bolt guns for hunting but that's just me. I had other evil guns before the boating accident so never had much use for an AR, no reason not to get one if you want one though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              No doubt. But does it completely obliterate the opposite shoulder?
              Behind the shoulder puts them down fast.

Comment

It only takes one shot, and I prefer a nice bolt action or single shot. I don't like wasting ammo or plink'n. I've messed around with a few, just not very practical for me.

Comment

Sold mine , I didn’t use it much, 1, it was loud, 2. Got better truck guns, 3. Wasn’t very good on knock down on deer & hogs unless I picked carful shots

If I would have got a ar-10 .308 or 6.8 probably would still own one
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-29-2021, 07:57 AM.

Comment

IF I decide to take a gun out to shoot deer/hogs or that size animal, my go to is a (WAS A) 6.8 SPC AR15 that is a sub-MOA rifle that shoots a 120 grain .270 caliber bullet and it is also the gun I am teaching my grandsons (8 and 10 years old) to shoot with. The adjustable stock makes it easy to fit the rifle to them. My oldest has taken 3 deer and a javelina with it... light recoil, and deadly caliber for any animal in Texas... Took one axis with it and it was DRT with a high shoulder shot at 155 yards.

There is good reason the AR15 is the #1 sporting rifle in this country. They can be used for any kind of rifle shooting by any size person, and even yet today they are one of the cheapest guns by comparison to shoot. If all my bolt guns hadn't been lost in the tragic accident, I'd have might as well sold them, because I don't use them any longer... My two go to's AR-15's and AR10 will cover anything I want to shoot.

Comment

And, if you want one you'd better get it now. At least get the lower before "come on man Joe" outlaws them.

Comment

reloading they're still pretty cheap to shoot and fun. I've used my 300bo on pigs and it's been good inside of 100yds. I wouldn't shoot deer with any of mine but that's just because I have better options. With the right bullet it's fine.

Comment

I don’t need that many rounds to hit something. Im way more accurate with my bolt gun. Never was the pray and spray kind of guy.

Comment

I get that brother. But Im not steady enough to shoot a deer in the neck. Always been a behind the shoulder guy. Does a 300 blow the deer up?
                            Man, a .300 BO barely has enough velocity to blow up tannerite--much less a deer. :-)

Comment

I have one.

In .223. Dont know why. Just cause everyone else has one (or several). Imho anything less than a .25-06 is too small for deer. I figured it'd be good for yotes (although I have a .243, .22-250, and .222 for yotes - and rarely hunt them).

Wish I'd gotten an AR in 7.62x39 or 300BO. .223 definitely ain't my "go to" for hogs. And bout the only gun hunting I might do is for hogs. The semi-auto would be perty handy for a sounder in open country.

Comment

Does a 30/30 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X