No announcement yet.

Red Flashlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to use green because it’s brighter. I have never spooked deer until I’m walking past them and they wind me. I have walked by them at 20yds and they never move when they are up wind.

Comment

It is my understanding you will be able to see better with green, but more likely deer could see green. Red is best for not spooking game.

Comment

I just hold the lens of my flashlight in the palm of my hand so I can adjust the light output to almost nothing with the squeeze of my hand. Works to get to the stand and last year I walked within 20’-30’ of a young mule deer buck that was feeding on corn and he never stopped chomping as l walked by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just use a regular flashlight.....the cheaper the better. You’re a grown man....you can’t be that afraid of spiders ?

I’ll protect you and our kids honey against a man breaking into our house, but when it comes to spiders....***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After seeing how big those banana spiders get in the forest, I have no interest in walking into one of those webs. Mr spider saying, "come spend some quality time with me young fellar".

Some were almost as big as my hand

Comment

Red or Green are said to keep from spooking game. I prefer green as it appears to be brighter and I am more worried about snakes where I hunt.

Comment

Either red or green work. Deer and pigs cannot see either. I have researched the matter due to LED lighting we used for projects that have to be “wildlife friendly”.

Comment

I've spooked deer with red

Comment

I think I'd spook more game from catching one of those big tree spider webs in my face than from any colored light

Comment

I use green to watch for Mr. Rattler and the deer don't seem to mind me passing thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        Either red or green work. Deer and pigs cannot see either. I have researched the matter due to LED lighting we used for projects that have to be “wildlife friendly”.
                        The only research I have done is a lot of night hunting on my ranch. But in my opinion, the really bright green lights spook deer and hogs within 100 yards. I have one on my rifle. However, we have killed hogs at 200 yards with them and a decent scope.
                        Red light is good enough to get to your set up and nice to leave on while you get set up.
                        Last edited by Big pig; 08-31-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry to tell that deer and pigs can see Red and Green lights. What they see exactly is debatable and we will never know until we can talk to them but I know for a fact there isn't a color we can see that the animals can't.
                          My experience tells me red is better then green. I prefer our 40KAP headlamp for walking to my stands, I use white and just turn it way down with the dimmer knob but I have plenty of customers that use the red and green and even with red and green they turn them down because they are very bright at full power. The colors are interchangeable. The white also makes for the best tracking light I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                            I think I'd spook more game from catching one of those big tree spider webs in my face than from any colored light
                            [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              I'm sorry to tell that deer and pigs can see Red and Green lights. What they see exactly is debatable and we will never know until we can talk to them but I know for a fact there isn't a color we can see that the animals can't.
                              My experience tells me red is better then green. I prefer our 40KAP headlamp for walking to my stands, I use white and just turn it way down with the dimmer knob but I have plenty of customers that use the red and green and even with red and green they turn them down because they are very bright at full power. The colors are interchangeable. The white also makes for the best tracking light I've seen.
                              At what nm range in the scale are you stating they are seeing green and red. Is this is a photopic measurement or scotopic? I am curious where you cite your information from.

Comment

At what nm range in the scale are you stating they are seeing green and red. Is this is a photopic measurement or scotopic? I am curious where you cite your information from.
                                You want to know where I get my information from. Go light up thousands of deer and hogs and other animals with all colors of lights on many different properties and then you will understand there isn't a color out there that we can see that the animals can't at lease see something from the light. Just because a animal doesn't spook, doesn't mean it couldn't see at least something from the light coming on. In fact, there are even times when a Infrared light will spook animals, not only have I seen it, many other have seen it and that is why we sell two different IR nm lights, one is 850nm and the other is 940nm. I haven't heard of any animals spooking from a 940nm light but I have seen and heard it from the 850nm and as you might know, 850nm is way higher in the spectrum then we or any animals can see.

When you buy LED's from the manufacturer, they have data sheets that tell you the nm of the LED's and that is where I get my information on the nm of the light. Most Red LED's are in the 615nm to 630nm range and most Green LED's are in the 515nm to 530nm range. The problem with those ranges is those are the dominate range and all LED's will have bleed over into the lower and higher ranges and this could be what the animals are seeing. Until we can talk to animals, we will never know for sure what they are seeing when a red, Green or infrared light hits them.

Don't believe me that there is bleed over of all lights. Have you ever seen the red glow from the LED from a infrared light coming on. The reason we see the red glow is because it's the bleed over of it in the red wavelength. If it didn't have bleed over into a lower wavelength then we wouldn't be able to see it. Even a 940nm IR led has bleed over all the way into the red wavelength we can see. it's not near as much as the 850nm but it still has it. So if a 940nm has bleed over down to around 670nm that we can see, it's safe to say that Green at 520nm and red at 620nm would have bleed over all the way down to range animals can see.

Now with all that said and with all the animals I've lit up, Red IMO is by far the best color we can see that is least likely to spook any animal and is the color I use when hunting at night. Sure there might be a time when green wont spook them and red will but overall, you will spook less animals with red then green.

I think your a bit confused when asking "Is this is a photopic measurement or scotopic". If not, please explain to me how you can measure the nm of a light with photopic or scotopic meter. When you measure light with a Photopic or Scotopic meter, your measuring the lux not the nm wavelength. We use Photopic meters to test our lights lux. This is how we can list the distance our lights shine and it's a fact not some made up number.
                                Last edited by gonehuntin68; 09-01-2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X