Measurement question for 55 gallon drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measurement question for 55 gallon drum

Building a road feeder out of a 55 gallon drum and linear actuator. Going to mount it on the bed rail and have the feed come out the side of the barrel. Only question is how do I get a measurement for the piece of metal inside the barrel to angle the feed to one side? Needs to be some type of oval to lay at a steep enough angle to get it to one side.

Cut lid out. Tack weld some tubing on one side of bottom 3-4” will be enough. Throw rid back in barrel and it will be more than close enough to accomplish what your trying to achieve. The bumpy roads will shake it downhill easily

Comment

Large piece of paper. Trim and trim until you have a sideways funnel. Cut it out o tin and rivet it to the barrel.......

Comment

The width of the elliptical will be same as barrel inside diameter. Measure the length from bottom edge across upto high side where you want it . Once you know length and width you can google how to draw with 4 nails in a board in a cross + pattern and run a string around them all.

Comment

Interesting. I think you should sketch it up and post the picture. Sounds like the barrel will parallel the truck? A full drum on a bed rail sounds like a lot of weight to me, if not supported with something else. Where on the side of the drum are you looking to make the "door"? If close to one of the ends, I would think you could elevate the other side a couple inches and the corn will funnel itself towards the door.

Comment

Couple things that might help you (or others)

[ATTACH]972278[/ATTACH]

cone cutout.pdf

cone cutout 2.pdf

Comment

I would just take a regular barrel funnel and turn it upside down. The corn will flow to the outside of the barrel and out your hole on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                I would just take a regular barrel funnel and turn it upside down. The corn will flow to the outside of the barrel and out your hole on the side.
                This

Comment

What about the rest of area around funnel where there is not a hole. Wouldn’t the corn just sit there, mold etc? I am not opposed to that but curious. It sounds like a job to consult some beer logic and expanding foam to me

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                    What about the rest of area around funnel where there is not a hole. Wouldn’t the corn just sit there, mold etc? I am not opposed to that but curious. It sounds like a job to consult some beer logic and expanding foam to me
                    The corn around the edge will be minimal and will rattle/bounce out when driving.

Comment

The corn around the edge will be minimal and will rattle/bounce out when driving.
                      May want to also set barrel so hole location is lowest point... put spacer under front so barrel leans back.

Comment

Is this what you are wanting? Tell me the dimensions you want and I'll lay you out a flat pattern.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That would be a eccentric reducer . Been a really long time since I did it . Any sheet metal shop should be able to do it , but I would take up Hoggslayer`s gracious offer to do it

Comment

Working...
                          X