Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck! Your gonna need it[emoji3]

Comment

I just started last year also, and pulled a blank with all of them. Good Luck to those that have been drawn!

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
        I Put in for all the hunts I’d like to go on which is usually about 30 a year. I have never been drawn in 18 years...

There seems to be a pattern with the draws I have noticed. Getting the first draw is tough, but once you get that first draw, it seems like your chances of getting drawn again are higher no matter the preference points. I’m still optimistic I’ll get drawn one of these years, I don’t complain too much cause the draw hunts would just be a bonus hunt and at 3$ an entry I spend much less on apps here in Texas than I do other states.
        Nah, there's no pattern other than having more points gets you slightly better odds.

It's just random chance.

Comment

I put in for 12 categories, about 20 hunts total a year. In 7 years I drew 2 hunts, both were coveted hunts though.

Comment

Daughter, Son and I put in for all but Mule Deer, but not every location. Son and I drew Balcones, Daughter drew Martin Dies. Her hunt is this weekend and if we don't freeze to death, should be a good time. As was said earlier, the cost of the Texas draw is less than I spend in Colorado and Wyoming.

Comment

I've never been drawn, but I've only been applying for a couple of years and only for really high demand hunts.

Comment

Personally I gave up after 10 years of trying. Never drawn a single time.

Comment

I've put in for every hunt on the same WMA for several years (bow and gun) and have been drawn for at least 1 hunt every time and sometimes 2 hunts if I'm lucky.
                  I like the place I put in for because it's convenient to where I live, I know it fairly well now after several years, and I like the people that run it.
                  I've also shot several deer there.

Comment

I've been drawn 1 time in 12 years, typically put in for about 10 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                      I've put in for every hunt on the same WMA for several years (bow and gun) and have been drawn for at least 1 hunt every time and sometimes 2 hunts if I'm lucky.
                      I like the place I put in for because it's convenient to where I live, I know it fairly well now after several years, and I like the people that run it.
                      I've also shot several deer there.
                      That is an interesting strategy, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Been entering 12 years. Put in for about 25 hunts per year. Drawn 2 times. 1ea. Enchanted Rock archery and 1ea. Gun Hunt Devil's River Dan Allen Hughs unit. Both times I saw animals, but no opportunity.
                        Both times had to cut hunts a little short, due to life, the mother inlaw was put in the hospital and the other time it snowed and the roads were very icy, so the hunt started late.
                        Had a good time on both hunts and I like they way they are ran.
                        Love the fact that you don't have to use your own tags.

Comment

You can't win if you don't apply but until they change the preference points system the odds are so bad now its basically a donation...

Comment

I have been applying since 1992 when I lived in Bay City and worked at the nuke plant. Most of the time, I have had between 6-10 points for each draw.

Have been drawn for the following WMA's:
                            Chaparral (3)
                            Mason Mountain
                            Matador
                            Caprock Canyon
                            Palo Duro
                            Choke Canyon (2)

Comment

I put in for every category. Been drawn for archery deer once, gator once(was cancelled due to hurricane)private land doe once. I've been drawn on standby as well. This year was 3 years in a row of striking out on getting drawn and able to hunt (drew gator 2017 and it was cancelled) I'm sitting around 8 points(ish) I believe in most categories
                              Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 01-15-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Before the web applications I used to draw one every year. Goose egg since, but as mentioend your best bet is to go for the areas not known for big deer, or go for the Antlerless hunts. Also don't forget trying for Stand By if you have any areas close to you. Every hunt Ive done has been able to take a few stand bys since guys didn't show up.

Comment

Working...
                                X