Big Bend 4x4 Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend 4x4 Trip

Has anyone taken a Jeep to Big Bend and done some riding? Keili and I are thinking about going the week between Christmas and New Years. Really wanting to camp along the way at the primitive sites. I have found the camp sites but not sure how to plan on how far we might be. I think you have to reserve a specific site ahead of time. Any advise form anyone that has done it?

Tag this. Interested as well. Been looking at few off road places for the Liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have done it in both the National Park and State Park. I have camped on the banks of the Rio Grande at Talley near Mariscal Canyon. Some of the sites you can reserve, others you need to be there 24 hours in advance. Check recreation.gov. Usually you can piece together a trip. The state park allows you to book the sites in advance. The state park allows fires. The off road in the national park is very vanilla. The state park isn't too bad but your rig will be pin striped for sure. I love it out there. If you have any specific questions Ill help if I can.

Comment

I went last weekend not camping but Jeep riding. River was bone dry! Cool area to look at for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
          Has anyone taken a Jeep to Big Bend and done some riding? Keili and I are thinking about going the week between Christmas and New Years. Really wanting to camp along the way at the primitive sites. I have found the camp sites but not sure how to plan on how far we might be. I think you have to reserve a specific site ahead of time. Any advise form anyone that has done it?
          In the National Park, you have to book the primitive sites in person. Get to the ranger station early in the AM (as soon as the open), and you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
            In the National Park, you have to book the primitive sites in person. Get to the ranger station early in the AM (as soon as the open), and you shouldn't have any problems.
            Do you have to book specific ones?

Comment

For secluded camping out by the river in the “big bend” type terrain don’t over look Black Gap WMA… no personal experience of the actual river campsites but from what one of the rangers said not very many folks go out there…

Comment

Do you have to book specific ones?
                Sorry, I lied...you used to have to book in person. Looks like now you can book half of the primitive sites up to 6 months out online.

Comment

I've done alot
                  Just know that this time of year it gets crazy last min rains that wash out the crossings... and you have to wait hours for it to go down
                  Attached Files

Comment

Are you going to get to make the trip, Brian? I am hoping to go at the same time, trying to work out details now.

Comment

This trip sounds like it would be a lot of fun if you allowed yourself enough time. I was just telling the wife that it would be cool to tow the Jeep out there and then tour the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        This trip sounds like it would be a lot of fun if you allowed yourself enough time. I was just telling the wife that it would be cool to tow the Jeep out there and then tour the mountains.

I wish I had a jeep, want to let me borrow yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          I wish I had a jeep, want to let me borrow yours?
                          Sure. Come on by and pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            Are you going to get to make the trip, Brian? I am hoping to go at the same time, trying to work out details now.
                            We are! After talking to a couple of people and the park rangers we decided to stay in Terlingua and drive in and out. I am going to be trailering the Jeep, parking while camping was one concern. We are staying in the Tipi’s at the Buzzard’s Roost and I can’t wait! Let me know if you go out

97nine-6three7-ought30seven

Comment

Sounds like a great trip except for the Jeep pinstripes.

Comment

Working...
                              X