Grandparent Scam - Educate Your Loved Ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandparent Scam - Educate Your Loved Ones

My 90year old mother just got scammed by some low life degenerates.

These scum of the earths have absolutely no souls.

Very organized scam.
    Scumbag1 called her and pretended to be her grandson.
    Said he was in jail and needed money.
    Aparrently handed the phone to another scumbag - scumbag2
    Scumbag2 said he was an lawyer and could keep her grandson out of jail, if my mother would get bail money for him.
    When she asked to speak with her grandson again, the scumbag2 told her that he was under a gag order and would not be able to speak to her for 24hrs.
    Scumbag2 told her that if she could get the money today, He would get her grandson released with nothing on his record.
    Scumbag2 even gave her a bail bondsman name and reference number.
    More to the story, but this is the short of it.

Sadly, my mother fell for it Hook Line and Sinker.
    She paid without checking with anyone in the family.
    My mother will put her family first no matter what and it cost her this time.
    Only realized what had happened when she called her grandson and he let her know that he was not in jail and quickly handed me the phone.
    When I asked her why she didn't call me to find out what was going on, she didn't want me to worry and get mad at my son.

We notified the police immediately and they told us the money was gone and probably would not be recoverable.

If you have elderly parents/grandparents, please pass this scam onto them.
    My brothers and sister have gotten our mother to add us to her account as safeguards. Now the bank must call us in regards to any withdrawal over a set amount.

My grandma got hit with this exact same scam a while back. Luckily she called my aunt before sending the money. But it was very close.

Comment

They tried this with my grandparents and my brother. My grandmother asked the "lawyer" why I was not the one representing my brother (I'm an attorney). She said they promptly hung up. It was well set up apparently. They called at 3:00am and said the charge was a DUI.

Comment

My 81yr old father in law fell for the same scam last year using very specific information about a certain family member that fit the mold. They are very deceptive and convincing in delivery. One of the lowest forms of life to take from the elderly but happens more than most will admit.

Comment

Not to make light of the situation but if someone called and told my mother I was in jail she would tell them to tell me that she said hello and that would be the end of that conversation.

Comment

They almost got my Grandma with this same thing right after my grandfather passed away. They used the info from his obituary

Comment

Low life scum. I know how bad it sounds but I could literally beat the h ll of of someone for doing that to anyone let alone the elderly. So hard to fathom.

Comment

My wife’s grandpa got hit with this a few years ago. He wasn’t so lucky

Comment

Can she dispute the charges with the bank as fraud?

Comment

They tried the same scam on my 80 year old mother, a couple years ago, thankfully she didn't bite on it. Sorry to hear that, there's a special place for scammers like this, all scammers for that matter.

Comment

There are lots of new scams targeting the elderly about the recently announced Fed payments as well. Not too sure of the scam, but soliciting bank information seems to be what they're after. I have to coach my parents weekly to be diligent. There's a special place in Hell for those that prey on the elderly...

Comment

We need to kill off people like that.
                        Hope they can identify them.

Gary

Comment

Happened to my 93 year old grandmother, luckily she had the wits to tell the said grandson “sounds like you need to call your mom”
                          Sorry this happened to you, our government really needs to go after these scumbags

Comment

My grandmother had something similar happen B4... But she knew it was WAAAAY out of character for me to ask for $$$ so she called me... I was at work I told her to call police... Nothing came of it unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                              Can she dispute the charges with the bank as fraud?
                              My experience says to start here. The Secret Service got involved in one we got tangled up in, and the jerks actually called back several times, once pretending to be the bank! My husband kept all the phone numbers and once even called them back. Once he realized we had a real number, he gave the numbers to the Secret Service and they dug in. It took nearly a year, but they got all of our money back. The agent was stunned the crooks actually used a number that we could call back. That's what sunk them I think. I didn't handle it so I don't know all the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X