No announcement yet.

Bridge/Washout ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sakrete, as stated before, is your most logical use for abutments. Metal pilings and large stone riprap are another option.
    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

We actually had the county road bridge builder do our small bridge. We have taken loaded cement trucks over it.
      On my lease the rancher has a similar creek crossing and he built long ramps through the creek banks and cemented the bottom Of the crossing.

you have a serious project. Best of luck.

Comment

We fought our creek crossing for years. We are in East texas so our biggest problem was limbs washing down the creek and plugging up the culverts.

So we ended up plating off both sides building a small header walls then filled it full of rock and gravel. This made a low water crossing we have done this in 2 places and it works great. We run dozers across it alot so a bridge wasnt really an option also due to our gap was way to wide.

Comment

We actually had the county road bridge builder do our small bridge. We have taken loaded cement trucks over it.
          On my lease the rancher has a similar creek crossing and he built long ramps through the creek banks and cemented the bottom Of the crossing.

you have a serious project. Best of luck.

Comment

I have a friend that pushed numerous pilings on each flow side and welded heavy plate recessed into the bank at an angle (bought plate at an auction from a road construction company). He had bull rock in nets (steel) placed on the banks and then had a gunite crew come out and shoot it. It worked great but was expensive. He sold the place but I will check and see if he has pictures.

Comment

in for later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know about the hole but there has to be arrowheads in that road right up the hill. Gotta be a site!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  I don't know about the hole but there has to be arrowheads in that road right up the hill. Gotta be a site!
                  I’m hoping to find some goodies up there for sure !
                  It is the top of the highest hill around for a ways, with great edges overlooking creek beds.
                  I’m looking into welding big plates of steel to form a bulkhead then gonna clear span with I beams for bridge.
                  I always feel at home with Steel and know how to manipulate her !

Comment

ttt

Comment

Just curious..wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and easier to hire a dozer to create a low water crossing with entrance and exits from the creek bed?

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                        Lots of bridge ideas, once again I have no concerns with bridges that much.
                        Really wanting to see the bulkheads and retaining wall ideas.
                        I can build a bridge no prob, just curious about the creek bed and ways to retain very erosive soil.
                        I don’t want to build the finest bridge in all the land, just to watch it eventually fall into the creek.
                        Once again, I know some of you have dealt with this particular problem and solved it.
                        I do appreciate everyone’s time on this matter .
                        Keep them pics coming !
                        Thanks in advance .
                        Your friend “D”
                        As I said in my post above, your problem can be solved by building headwalls from tank steel and piling. I have no drawings and it’s hard to explain if you’ve never seen it, but I’ve done plenty in 40 years of oilfield construction. Not only on bridges, but large culverts and tank cars. The process is not hard and not as labor intensive as the sackcrete, and will last longer than you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
                          Sakrete, as stated before, is your most logical use for abutments. Metal pilings and large stone riprap are another option.
                          I am wanting to put on also, but for a far less drastic drop.

What would be the solution with Sakrete? Stack them on top of each other, but leaving cracks for water to flow?

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                            Just curious..wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and easier to hire a dozer to create a low water crossing with entrance and exits from the creek bed?
                            Problem with this is the low water crossing will washout every time it rains
                            Pure sandy soil that has washed concrete culverts and every rock ever put in it away.

The pics will show you the bottom of creek that goes deeper after every rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              As I said in my post above, your problem can be solved by building headwalls from tank steel and piling. I have no drawings and it’s hard to explain if you’ve never seen it, but I’ve done plenty in 40 years of oilfield construction. Not only on bridges, but large culverts and tank cars. The process is not hard and not as labor intensive as the sackcrete, and will last longer than you will.
                              Yes this is the direction I’m leaning, some kind of steel retainer or pilings !
                              Do you still do this work ?
                              Would love to hear out of any contractors that do this kind of work.
                              Def don’t want sackrete walls !
                              Seen too many of those fail and doesn’t seem cost efficient IMHO.

Comment

Anyone used any Gabion Baskets ?
                                Looks like something I can make easily and cost efficient.

Comment

Working...
                                X