No announcement yet.

Chevy Instrument Cluster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About a year ago, I sent off the cluster from my 2001 duramax to this company in Austin.

Specializing in Instrument Gauge Cluster and Electronic Brake Control Module Repairs.

Very reasonable and they did a good job.

Comment

The dial gauges work just fine.

The digital odometer reading turns off. If I bang the top of the dash most of the time if comes back on. Sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

The digital odometer reading turns off. If I bang the top of the dash most of the time if comes back on. Sometimes it doesn't.
        That may be a different problem. My Jeep does this, and I've found if I wiggle the ignition it comes back on. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a spring, or something in there. I just deal with it. My AC/heat fan also doesn't work when the odometer doesn't...and the air bag light comes on.

Comment

My most recent repair was for a very similar issue.....see my previous post regarding the fix.

Comment

Thats what mine was doing. The guys at Rapid Transit in Austin fixed me right up. Apparently a common problem. They can also upgrade to LEDs if you want to spend a little extra.

Comment

I'm in houston and had a guy in a van drive to my work and do the entire speedo repair in 40 min.....maybe charged me 200 max

Comment

Originally posted by TxArcheo View Post
                My most recent repair was for a very similar issue.....see my previous post regarding the fix.
                Thank you. I'll look him up.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                  About a year ago, I sent off the cluster from my 2001 duramax to this company in Austin.

Specializing in Instrument Gauge Cluster and Electronic Brake Control Module Repairs.

Very reasonable and they did a good job.
                  This one looks good too. Thanks

Comment

It sounds just like what mine was doing... it was a couple of “broken” solder connections.... I have a 2002 gmc 2500.... that whole cluster comes out relatively easy... I would suggest taking it out and see if an electronic repair shop would re-solder it for you... See link below

On mine the some of the pins he re-solders at the 6:00 minute mark were loose due to bad solder connection.... All I did was touch up the solder and got it working

Last edited by Pedernal; 03-22-2020, 07:17 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      It sounds just like what mine was doing... it was a couple of “broken” solder connections.... I have a 2002 gmc 2500.... that whole cluster comes out relatively easy... I would suggest taking it out and see if an electronic repair shop would re-solder it for you... See link below

On mine the some of the pins he re-solders at the 6:00 minute mark were loose due to bad solder connection.... All I did was touch up the solder and got it working

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...5&d=1584848948

Wow, not sure how I got the link above or how it's what I pasted on here but it's obviously wrong... Let me try this one more time... This link shows the exact problem my dash display was having and what actually fixed it.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HoKG5PQ_gw"]Gm chevrolet gmc tahoe silverado yukon cluster repair bad not working lcd prndl . how to - YouTube[/ame]
                      Last edited by Pedernal; 03-23-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

This may be irrelevant but I had an 04 Sierra that was doing something similar. I just lived with it for about 2 years until I mentioned to my neighbor about getting a ticket because my speedometer wasn’t working. Well my neighbor happened to be a service tech for GM and she told me there was a recall on it. I went in and sure enough it was recalled and got a new instrument cluster for free.

Edit: after a quick search it looks like that was for ‘03 to ‘06 models.
                        Last edited by be12hunt; 03-23-2020, 04:07 AM.

Comment

If speedo is only issue get a GPS other than that. Pull cluster and clean connectors and fix bad connectors..and or replace as necessary...Mu 01 jepp had problem every time I went over a RR trac speedo went to 0000 every time I went over another RR it fixed itself...Pulled cluster <30m cleaned all connectors put back ...still working

Comment

Working...
                          X