No announcement yet.

Finders Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id try my best to give it back. If I couldn't it's going to deer corn or someone that looks like they need it more than me. A couple years ago Scent Lok put me in that situation. I posted a thread on here about it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Give your opinion on what situations can be considered finders keepers versus plain stealing.

If you see a person walking 5 feet in front of you drop a $10 bill. What if they are 50' in front of you and it requires too much effort to catch up to them? Is keeping the money stealing?

If you honestly don't see who dropped the money it's not stealing, or is it?

Is there a line on what items you should never keep? Obviously the law would say if you keep something registered such as a car it would be theft. Is it a monetary amount line in the sand?
      If you see someone drop the money or you know who the money/stuff belongs to, Return it! Do your best to get it back to the owner whatever it is. Just do the right thing. If Jesus was there walking along with you would you keep it?

Comment

Give it back.

Comment

Is it stealing no? But I believe in karma and think you should do everything possible to give, whatever item, back to the owner.

A few months ago my 5 yr old son and one of his buddies found $80 on the ground at a county livestock show. They brought it to my wife and the other kids mom and they made them turn the money into the people running the show. They told the kids to come back at the end of the day and if no one claimed it they could have it. We forgot all about it, but as we were walking out the gate the kids asked us about their money. So we went back and checked and they got the money back.

Comment

I have found a couple of wallets, two cellphones and a violin. Made sure all made it to their rightful owner with the cash in the wallets still in them. Now I have been known to pick up some "highway lottery" if i see it in time....nothing that has had any way to identify an owner so it came home with me. Hand tools, power tools, Dewalt impact, Milwaukee drill set and charger, snow/seed shovels, etc

Comment

I had a buddy find a d list celebrity's ID downtown Austin a few years ago. Weirdly enough another buddy of mine mentioned she was at a wedding he attended months before. I was involved in a daisy chain of getting this ID back to her. Her side basically treated us like we stole her ID.

Comment

My wife and I were walking into a Walmart on a very windy day. As soon as we started walking toward the front door, I notice this paper blowing toward us. It was the right size and shape for a paper bill, and it turned out to be a $50. I told my wife someone will be looking for this. We stood there about 30 seconds, and a young mother came out the door with a panicked look on her face, scouring the parking lot. We walked up to her and she had tears in her eyes. With no doubt in our minds that she was looking for that money, we asked her if she was looking for this, and held up the $50. She was so thankful! She told us that was all the money she had to buy groceries for the week, and she just knew it was gone forever! We were very happy we were able to help her. If you know who it belongs to, and don't return it, you might as well have stolen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  I have found a couple of wallets, two cellphones and a violin. Made sure all made it to their rightful owner with the cash in the wallets still in them. Now I have been known to pick up some "highway lottery" if i see it in time....nothing that has had any way to identify an owner so it came home with me. Hand tools, power tools, Dewalt impact, Milwaukee drill set and charger, snow/seed shovels, etc

Hah! “Highway Lottery.” Pretty clever!!

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    I had a buddy find a d list celebrity's ID downtown Austin a few years ago. Weirdly enough another buddy of mine mentioned she was at a wedding he attended months before. I was involved in a daisy chain of getting this ID back to her. Her side basically treated us like we stole her ID.

It has been my experience that people in that industry are ill mannered—often extremely so—in order to make up for a lack of intelligence.

I will not name names except to point out one notable exception: Lyle Lovett. He is courteous to a fault; a real gentleman.

Comment

funny story. So i was in the post office one day by my office doing the mail run for work. This mid 80's possibly older lady is at the counter doing her transaction and as we all know the post office takes forever. So i go over to my po box and get my mail and then had back to the counter to drop off the certified mail and the lady is gone. When i walk up to the counter i look down and there is a wad of cash totaling $723. so i bend down and pick it up and ask the guy (young ghetto looking dued) if anyone else has come in since the old lady was there and he says no. I ask him if he knows her or if she comes in regularly and he said he doesnt know her but she is in a couple times a month. i know i shouldnt do it but i give him the money and tell him she dropped it and to give it to her the next time she comes in. He says he would. As soon as i handed it to him i realized what an idiot i was as that money was as good as gone. But i am big on karma and i didnt want the bad karma on me. Well fast forward not even a wekk later i am back in there and there she is at the counter and there he is working the other side. So i cut in front of everyone and walked up to her and said excuse me mam i found something of yours i believe you lost last week up here. Right away she said oh my god did you find my money and i asked her how much it was and she didnt know exact but she said 700 and some odd dollars. So i told her i did find it and i looked at the worker and he had a paniced look on his face so i asked him if he had given her back her money that i turneded in to him the week before. She instantly got super angry as apperently she had been in 2 times in between asking him if anyone had turned her money in and he told her no. She started laying into him pretty serious. he finally came clean and told her he didnt have it anymore and that just made her more mad. So i gave her one of my cards and pointed out the cameras in there to her and told her she should call customer service and complain and and if need be she had my info and i could help her. I never heard from her after that but i havent seen the guy back in there since a few days after that day. I still see her in there from time to time and wave and say hello or hold the door open for her and she always tells me what a good guy i am for doing the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet83 View Post
                        funny story. So i was in the post office one day by my office doing the mail run for work. This mid 80's possibly older lady is at the counter doing her transaction and as we all know the post office takes forever. So i go over to my po box and get my mail and then had back to the counter to drop off the certified mail and the lady is gone. When i walk up to the counter i look down and there is a wad of cash totaling $723. so i bend down and pick it up and ask the guy (young ghetto looking dued) if anyone else has come in since the old lady was there and he says no. I ask him if he knows her or if she comes in regularly and he said he doesnt know her but she is in a couple times a month. i know i shouldnt do it but i give him the money and tell him she dropped it and to give it to her the next time she comes in. He says he would. As soon as i handed it to him i realized what an idiot i was as that money was as good as gone. But i am big on karma and i didnt want the bad karma on me. Well fast forward not even a wekk later i am back in there and there she is at the counter and there he is working the other side. So i cut in front of everyone and walked up to her and said excuse me mam i found something of yours i believe you lost last week up here. Right away she said oh my god did you find my money and i asked her how much it was and she didnt know exact but she said 700 and some odd dollars. So i told her i did find it and i looked at the worker and he had a paniced look on his face so i asked him if he had given her back her money that i turneded in to him the week before. She instantly got super angry as apperently she had been in 2 times in between asking him if anyone had turned her money in and he told her no. She started laying into him pretty serious. he finally came clean and told her he didnt have it anymore and that just made her more mad. So i gave her one of my cards and pointed out the cameras in there to her and told her she should call customer service and complain and and if need be she had my info and i could help her. I never heard from her after that but i havent seen the guy back in there since a few days after that day. I still see her in there from time to time and wave and say hello or hold the door open for her and she always tells me what a good guy i am for doing the right thing.
                        That's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          It has been my experience that people in that industry are ill mannered—often extremely so—in order to make up for a lack of intelligence.

I will not name names except to point out one notable exception: Lyle Lovett. He is courteous to a fault; a real gentleman.
                          Funny you mention that, I met Lyle Lovett at the sisterdale store , he was super nice guy , then his wife at the time Julia Roberts pulled up and she wasn’t very friendly at all.

Comment

I would first go live on Facebook and then pick up the money and run it back to the person who dropped. Then I would collect all my heart and like emojis and everyone would love me.

Comment

When I was running a dozer in the oilfield, I happened to be on a rig up near Groesbeck. I was fueling up my tractor as the rig hands were changing clothes and leaving the location. The tool pusher pulled his coveralls off at his car and was the last one to leave except for me. When I went across the cattleguard I spotted something in the entrance that didn’t belong. Getting out of my truck I realized it was a wallet. No cell phones back then, so I just held onto it after I looked at the driver’s license. The next morning I was first on the location and as soon as he got there he started going to each hand and I knew he was looking for his wallet. I don’t know why as they had left before him. I got off my tractor and told him it was laying in my truck seat. He was greatly relieved because he had close to $200 in it. That was considerably more money in the seventies than it is today ! He tried to give me twenty bucks but I wouldn’t take it, I hope someone would do the same for me.

Comment

I’d try to give it back. Once worked for a guy who bragged that he found a wallet of a young GI with 2000 dollars in it on the side of the road. He threw out his ID and other forms of identification and kept the cash and wallet. Lost all respect for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X