No announcement yet.

Finders Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually given thought to this recently. I use to follow the "finders keepers" process. Now I return it if I know who it belongs to or make an attempt to locate the owner if it's something of a value to warrant the attempt. Otherwise, I leave it where it was in hopes the owner finds it again.
    I'm with LTH in that I don't want whatever is attached to something that isn't mine by gift or by being earned.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Found a bank envelope on the floor in a store. It had 1784 bucks and odd cents in change. I figured someone cashed a check for that amount. Called bank abd a lady had cashed a check for exactly that amount. They called her while I was on the phone. She said the money was in her purse. They advised her to make sure, it wasn't. I agreed to meet her at brookshires and gave it back . She seemed angry and barely thanked me. Almost like she accused me of taking it out of her purse. Weird.

Comment

Only thing I ever seem to find are wallets. I’ve found 3 and all made it back to their owner

Comment

I saw a guy the other day drop a 50 out of his pocket in the HEB parking lot. I grabbed it and chased him down to return it.
          Had I just seen that money on the ground and no one around it, I'd have it in my pocket!

Comment

If you find something that someone lost and you can identify the owner, to then keep it would be stealing.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Only thing I ever seem to find are wallets. I’ve found 3 and all made it back to their owner
              But empty of course...lol
              Just kidding. Good on you!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

How about this one... you shoot a monster buck and lose him. Someone else finds him. Who gets the horns?

I have lost two like that. I described the deer in detail both times. Once the guy refused. The other time the guy claimed he didn't know what I was talking about even though his father told me he had my horns and I found the deer with head gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  If I find a custom made knife at Wal mart or Bucees I'm keeping it.. I know that much..
                  Me too.

Comment

If I see someone drop money I'm giving it back. If it's blowing in the wind and nobody is around I ain't. If someone has viable proof that something you found is theirs and you don't give it back, yes that's stealing. It's bad karma to keep things that ain't yours. So I don't do it.

Funny story about me. I was taught at a young age you don't go taking stuff that ain't yours. One day in the parking lot at the grocery store my grandma said "There's a penny, pick it up." I said "I ain't picking that up. It ain't mine." She told that story every chance she got. I was probably 4 or 5 at the time. To this day I'll go out of my way to give money back to people if I know they lost it. I ain't putting nothin in my pocket that's not mine.

If you find money just laying there you ain't really got much of a choice. You could advertise you found $2 and have 10 different people saying they lost it. Because people are that way.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 12-07-2022, 01:33 PM.

Comment

If I see someone drop it, I am making sure they get it back.
                      I was going through the Kroger parking lot and there was a $100 bill laying on the ground out in the open. Like a post said before, I thought it may be a set up, but I looked around and there was no one visible so I picked it up and kept on going.

Comment

One of my buddies left some keys at the tobacco shop one day and got a call later that day and the person that found them said he'd have to pay him $80 to get them back. My buddy had to have them so he paid the guy. Not that many months later that guy got hit by a semi truck and died. Like I said....bad karma. Just be honest and do things the right way, it's not that hard.

Comment

If I know or see someone lose something they get it back. Being a former long distance bicyclist, one trip my wife and I made was riding our bicycles across the United States and I swear I saw so many hand tools on the side of the road that I could have filled a tool box. Rode around a curve somewhere in Montana on that trip and a guy was loading a generator into his pick up truck. Was laying on the side of the road.

Parked the truck in busy downtown Fredericksburg one day and a brand new Stihl chain saw was laying in the street and people were driving around it. I picked it up and took it to the local P.D and dropped it off.
                          Last edited by Jon Stewart; 12-07-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I found some money one time, saw the person drop it. They argued that it wasn't theirs, I argued back after he refused 3 times I said sorry my mistake and kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              Left the feed store on Tuesday and within a mile on a curve I saw a bag of corn on the side of the road that had slid off of someone else’s truck. I pulled over and backed up to it and loaded it in the back of my truck. I didn’t feel like I should sit there all day waiting to see if the original owner showed up. If I would have seen it happen I would have caught up with the driver and told him.
                              Even though the price of corn is astronomical right now, I don't really think you owe much of an effort to someone to return their $12 bag of corn, just as it's pretty unlikely that they'd care enough (if they even realized they'd lost a bag) to retrace their steps to look for it.

Comment

Like several others on here, if you see someone lose something, or there's an identifying mark on something you find, keeping it is stealing it. If something is valuable and you don't make an effort to find the owner, IMO there's some morality issues there as well. At some point the value of something becomes so inconsequential that it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure exactly where that line is, but I don't think someone should go out of their way to try and find the owner of a $10 bill or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X