No announcement yet.

Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping to have my plow fixed Saturday and be able to finish planting on Saturday.

Comment

Four inches of rain last night here. Gonna set me back a little. I am gonna spray a wheat/medium red clover plot with Butyrac Saturday to kill the weeds. Damm hogs are eating my clover to the ground !

Turkey hunting next week for 3/4 days and then beginning my food plots in earnest.

Comment

IN for the results. Lots of rain to help you guys this week.

Comment

Only got 1/4” at the house yesterday. Big rain was just north of us. Better than nothing I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Planted 2 plots yesterday, was gonna do a 3rd, but the clover looked so good and the deer were eating eating it so I fertilized it.

First time planting a Forage bean, anxious to see results.

Comment

We got 1.5” on Wed. I had plowed up a little patch the day before. Gonna re disc it today, and broadcast 15 pounds of Silver River Clover seed tonight.

Comment

Got growth. Should be good in month.

Comment

We planted some cowpeas last Friday before it rained and have decent germination.

It’s too muddy to get the tractor in to disc or mow so I tried some redneck crimping. Threw out 50lbs of spring plot mix into the standing wheat/clover and drug some logs all over it knocking it down. Supposed to get a few inches of rain this week so we’ll see if anything grows. Not expecting too much, but won’t hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got seed planted yesterday and looks like it had a little rain on it this morning and more in the forecast this week. Plan on checking it out in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for first food plot!

Comment

Dragging *** this year with all the other stuff I got going on

Mowed my oats and fall/winter mix down yesterday and ran disc over them today.

Almanac says this coming Fri and Sat are good days to plant

IC peas, sunflowers and sun hemp (if I can find any)

Might broadcast some daikon radish seed into a field to see if they will come up, Supposed to loosen soil up

Managed to bend the heck out of my disc 3pt again. Pretty sure I am going to have to fab a replacement part as I keep straightening it out and it keeps bending

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        Dragging *** this year with all the other stuff I got going on

Mowed my oats and fall/winter mix down yesterday and ran disc over them today.

Almanac says this coming Fri and Sat are good days to plant

IC peas, sunflowers and sun hemp (if I can find any)

Might broadcast some daikon radish seed into a field to see if they will come up, Supposed to loosen soil up

Managed to bend the heck out of my disc 3pt again. Pretty sure I am going to have to fab a replacement part as I keep straightening it out and it keeps bending

I had to order my sun hemp. The feed store had it in less than a week though. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We got 10 acres planted at our place on Saturday. IC peas, buckwheat, Sun Hemp, 50 pounds an acre (150 lbs peas, 50 pounds SH, 50 lbs buckwheat per 5 acre plot) Picked up the seed from Turner seed. J talked me into the buckwheat, will be interested to see how it does. Got about a 1/3” of rain on it after we left and have a chance of rain every day this week!
                          Hopefully I’ll be able to post pics of success in a few weeks.
                          Last edited by drslonghorn; 04-29-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

WE are prepping and planting sunrise to sunset now. If rain permits will finish next week.PLanted first 15 acres today then crimped another 11 acres. My butt is tired.

Comment

[ATTACH]955465[/ATTACH]

I have sunflowers and Sunn hemp about 12-14 inches tall now, the peas are about 10 inches tall. After the recent rains, the plots are really taking off and the deer are fat.
                              Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I finally got started on a couple plots today on my deer lease. The day didn't quite turn out as planned though. We had some bad winds with this last round of severe thunderstorms a couple weeks ago, and we had several trees across the roads. We didn't know the full extent until we traveled all the roads. I had my backhoe on the lease, and my Husky made short work of the downed trees.
                                I was only expecting to move this one, but there were two more big pines, plus assorted dead and green tops.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X