Ideas for “rights of passage” for my son & gift suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
    I'm kind of confused. Are you wanting to have a "ceremony" or a "prove your a man test"? It sounds to me like you want to congratulate your son on what he's accomplished thus far in his life. Not give him a test to prove he isn't a man yet until he passes said test? I like the knife idea. That's something he can carry with him every day of his life. Have a constant reminder of who he is.. In a world where people are constantly telling our young men that men aren't important and manliness is bad. It's important to reinforce his identity! I think giving him something to carry every day would be the best way to remind him!
    Maybe a bit of both, but predominantly to celebrate how far along the path to manhood he has already traveled, but a challenge he could do or lead he and his buddies to do would be fun and beneficial.

Our place is only a mile long by 1/2 mi wide and is actually fairly easy to navigate , basically find a road, and or fence and follow it. So not sure how hard that would actually be

Comment

Don't over think it. The time you spend with him will be what he remembers for the rest of his life. Before you know he's off to college, married etc.... A nice shotgun to enjoy some great bird hunts with his dad.

Comment

Yeah a solid shotgun - over under with decent quality. You will get better - safer field use out of it than the pistol. Hunting skills - the basics with scatter gun - buy a target .22 you both can shoot in competition against each other.

That's the way I rolled - added the snappy little bolt guns with big scopes into that target father/son match stuff.

Friends come and go.........blaze y'alls new beginnings with some further goals that put y'all afield with a bit of match play mixed in too.

Comment

I guess we live in a different world today than when I grew up as I did not realize there was a formal right of passage into early adulthood.
          I do know when I was about that age, maybe even a little younger, my dad gave me my first 22 rifle. It was a Winchester model 9422 and I still have and shoot it today. I distinctly remember him taking me out shooting, talking about gun safety and the responsibility that came along with owning it.
          Back in those days I don't think dad's having heart to heart talks with their sons was as common as it is today but I remember just being with my dad in the field and emulating his leadership was enough.
          Something to consider would be making this time a more private moment between you and your son as I would bet that would have a deeper and life lasting impact more so than the fanfare of a ritual.
          Just my thoughts on what impacted me in my youth.
          Congratulations to you on raising a fine young man!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Peyote, schrooms, and a bottle of Texas Crown! NOT!

Comment

Good lord...some of yall could ruin a good party.

Just take'em to the ranch and do ranch stuff! A new knife, tool, or shootin iron would be cool. But I bet you've got plenty of .22s and stuff, get'em out and let the kids burn ammo and fish...that's what kids want to do. Buy a case of cheap sodas to shake up for targets. Stay up late, eat good, big fire, drink dr pepper....etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Good lord...some of yall could ruin a good party.

Just take'em to the ranch and do ranch stuff! A new knife, tool, or shootin iron would be cool. But I bet you've got plenty of .22s and stuff, get'em out and let the kids burn ammo and fish...that's what kids want to do. Buy a case of cheap sodas to shake up for targets. Stay up late, eat good, big fire, drink dr pepper....etc.
                Don't forget the farting contest around the fire pit!

Comment

A bible with his name on it (mark Proverbs), a revolver .22 cal. single action and a great camp out.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                    Lots of good advice here for you to work up a cool weekend for your son and his buddies. Great idea to do this for your son’s 13th birthday.

After a good day of fishing and shooting, settle the boys down around the campfire, and tell them to really listen up for just a few minutes. Then you or one of the other dads read "If—" a poem by Rudyard Kipling. This was written in 1895, and it is still about the best advice going regarding becoming a man. I’m guessing some boys will always remember this, and later as grown up men will thank you.

My father gave me a copy of this poem years ago. To this day, I carry it in the visor of my pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got my dad, brother, men's minister and youth pastor to each write a letter to my son about who they see him becoming and giving advice on becoming who he is destined to become.
                      Those that could be a part of his 'celebration', I asked them to take a short walk with him (we are on 15 acres) to verbalize what their letters said.

Comment

Sounds like he could probably use a good knife too. I still have the one my grandfather gave me almost 50 years ago. It is still my favorite and used on every animal I kill. Mine was not engraved but a little can go a long way.

Comment

Ruger single six and a case pocket knife

Comment

A good old fashion Snipe hunt is what comes to mind when I here the phrase "right of passage".

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Remind me to never go to one of your parties.....
                              Not gonna need to remind me.

Comment

Every young man, at least the majority of kids from this site enjoy tending to fires, especially with the Forged in Fire show. Bring a drilled antler and a piece of round stock. Let the boys tend to the fire, heating the steel up to full glow, and turn a 90 on the end. If you understand how to work metal, and have an anvil or piece of I beam to beat on, let them turn parts into square, and then put a twist in it. Once the metal working is done, bring out the antlers and epoxy them on. All the boys get to take home a fire tending stick that they built.

Comment

Working...
                                X