Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else overrun with copperheads this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to be more of them than usual-- had two of the dogs bit on different occassions (and different snakes) while at my in-laws (Richardson/Garland area).

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
      This time of year I drive the neighborhood on UTV after dark to run them over on the road. I started marking calendar last year with kills per date. I am behind this year. Last year had 11 kills at this time but this year only 6.
      First year I got 31, last year 26. Breaking the 31 record this year is looking tough.

This sounds like blast!

Comment

Are the cicadas about to start hatching out maybe? CH's love em.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          First one of these this year.
          [ATTACH]1088908[/ATTACH]
          Many mistake this snake for a copperhead, as I did early on. Copperheads usually get a pass, but I will kill this snake with extreme prejudice!!

Comment

What sort of snake is that Rocky?

Comment

Cottonmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                Many mistake this snake for a copperhead, as I did early on. Copperheads usually get a pass, but I will kill this snake with extreme prejudice!!
                Yup. This was not near any houses so it got a pass. It looks big but it was only a foot long.

Comment

I've killed 4 in the last 2 weekends in Tyler county. In 2019 we moved in and killed over 30 that summer. They love the pine trees.

Comment

A man in Midlathon was bitten by a copper head last week that took refuge in his shop tool box. He opened the drawer and reached for a tool and bam. Dry bite though so he is lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                      Are the cicadas about to start hatching out maybe? CH's love em.
                      They snacking on June bugs hanging around the porch

Comment

Killed two in Grandview outside my Mom's backdoor which opens to a carport two weeks ago. Got up early and stepped out the back door to check the weather. One was 3 feet away the other about a foot from the back door. Funny thing is I saw a Rat snake at the same backdoor the day before, which I let go so I loaded my pistol with Rat/Snake shot just in case I needed it. Walked inside grabbed and took care of the Copperheads.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                          Been living on the river a year this month. Killed a bunch when we moved in and have busted my rear on landscaping around the house plus cleanup down by the river. We have a big drain that had collected many year's worth of pecan limbs and other trash from the previous owner plus neighbors. I burned it last summer. Replaced 90% of the overgrown gardens around the house with white rock and got rid of huge bunches of overgrown iris and cannas. So far this year I've only seen our resident rat snake who gets a pass.
                          That is great habitat management. Dont give them a reason to be there. Eliminate sources of food, shelter and water.

Comment

I killed 7 yesterday, they seem to be everywhere up here this year. I haven't seen any other types but copperheads are all over. They have adapted to hang out up in cedar trees so watch yourself around them.

Comment

Saw this little guy and decided my chores were finished till winter…

Comment

Originally posted by MontagueMech View Post
                                Not sure why there’s such an increase with them this year but they are thick around the houses and barns. One of the cats keeps getting bit at night. Been mowing over them lately. At night I no longer get out to open the gates without a spotlight. They are out tonight on the gravel roads.
                                Where you at so I can stay away?

Comment

Working...
                                X