X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im voting for democrats so the gov.will pay for my kids school

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      We were able to pay our kids college. We told them if they kept up good grades they were taken care of. Both graduated with honors and I was more than happy to get them started in life without debt. Both have very successful careers and would do it again . IMO, no reason not to help out if possible. YMMV.
      Same here, we were willing to do what we could to help our kids get a head start in life. This also means helping them to be financially responsible. Both worked in college and they both just graduated a few years ago. Both make great money and have almost zero debt. Both are investing and saving. My wife and I feel like we want to give them a better chance than we had starting out. I'd do it again.

Comment

My dog is smarter than your kid !

Comment

For parents with young kids start a plan and start saving now. When it comes time don’t give them a thing. Let them earn it. Pay them to get good grades as has been mentioned already by several folks. Too many kids these days are given everything.

On the career choice side, help your kids decide what is right for them. College is not for everyone do not place unrealistic expectations on your kids. The everyone needs a college degree BS is nothing more then a 1.6 trillion money grab. Help them understand they can make a nice living working in some of the trades and technology. Teach them about the pit falls of getting everything on credit now and the financial rewards of wise investment.

That is all. Take it with a grain of salt as I don’t have kids.

Comment

My dad helped a little bit because even with loans and all there was money to pay and my 2-3 jobs just werent enough to cover it.
            If you want your kid to learn to work, college is the last place to learn that lol. Dont mean dont have em work, but taking on stupid debt to learn to work is stupid. First time its worth something bigger, but college expenses are insane. Even if I want to, i know i wont be able to cover my sons college expense in whole by the time hes there. But itd be dumb of me to not give him a fighting chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              For parents with young kids start a plan and start saving now. When it comes time don’t give them a thing. Let them earn it. Pay them to get good grades as has been mentioned already by several folks. Too many kids these days are given everything.

On the career choice side, help your kids decide what is right for them. College is not for everyone do not place unrealistic expectations on your kids. The everyone needs a college degree BS is nothing more then a 1.6 trillion money grab. Help them understand they can make a nice living working in some of the trades and technology. Teach them about the pit falls of getting everything on credit now and the financial rewards of wise investment.

That is all. Take it with a grain of salt as I don’t have kids.
              No offense intended but you not having kinds renders your opinion useless, most parents want their kids to be better off then they were at the same age. I agree not all kids need to go to college but long term they will be head and shoulders ahead of those without it later on in life.

Comment

Mine wasn't paid for and I didn't pay for my kids. If they wanted to go to college they paid for it. I thought it was more important to teach them a good work ethic and to start saving early.

Comment

I have 4 kids. All had the same offer. In state, passing grades, I pay. Goof off and it becomes your problem. No 5 year plan. Oldest is a BSN nurse. Youngest daughter is is a patient advocate for Kaiser Permanente. One is a mechanic, he hated school. Youngest son is homeless, drug addicted, and a drain on my soul. If they will go to school, help them. It does them more good on the front end of their life than anything you can leave them at the end of your life.

Comment

My kids have already proven to be hard working and responsible. I don't need to make them pay for college as long as I can afford to send them without messing up my future... with the caveat that grades are kept up and I know they are working hard at it.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                      We were able to pay our kids college. We told them if they kept up good grades they were taken care of. Both graduated with honors and I was more than happy to get them started in life without debt. Both have very successful careers and would do it again . IMO, no reason not to help out if possible. YMMV.
                      I share a similar sentiment. I've had 529 plans setup for my two girls since before birth. The money won't be given to them, they'll have to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                        No offense intended but you not having kinds renders your opinion useless, most parents want their kids to be better off then they were at the same age. I agree not all kids need to go to college but long term they will be head and shoulders ahead of those without it later on in life.
                        No offense taken, but don’t discount my advice so easily. I have nephews that I am currently helping out.

What exactly is it that is wrong with my advice??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          No offense taken, but don’t discount my advice so easily. I have nephews that I am currently helping out.

What exactly is it that is wrong with my advice??

If you don’t know that answer then I can’t explain it to you,, I paid for my nieces RN schooling as well but it’s not the same as your own kid. I’m not trying to offend you but your own kid has a different meaning.
                          Last edited by Kong; 05-10-2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I have one starting in the fall. Tuition is $35K a year. He got an academic scholarship for $15K a year. The way I look at it he did his part and he wants to go, so I will gladly help him do it. I graduated from college debt free because my folks did it for me.

Comment

I had to pay my way through college. Made it a priority after college and paid them all off.

I did set up a college fund for both kids and made a sizable deposit in both to start gaining, but that will be it. Anything else they’ll have to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                                Depends what their degree is in. Someone learning a good skilled trade that is in demand can make great money. Even more than some jobs that demand a degree.
                                Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-10-2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X