Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else overrun with copperheads this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I see one, I'd consider it being over run...

Comment

I've stumbled upon 2 hog nosed and 2 coral snakes already this year. Until the last couple of days, it has been really dry so perhaps they are looking for water? I've read that snakes are more active in drought. I suspect they were coming up toward the areas I have water...

Comment

Killed 2 small copperheads last weekend at our camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife found two copperheads under some lumber a month ago, those have been the only snakes we have seen. I just cleared two areas of trash/brush piles and lots of yaupons. Multiple people have suspected the big brush/trash pile that was beside our driveway was an area that held a lot of snakes, not sure. Stray cats, liked hanging out on the other side of that large pile, I never found any signs of snakes around it. I loading up that whole pile in a 40 yard dumpster, it all went away.

After all of the brush clearing, I suspected we might start seeing more snakes around the house, looking for a new home. So far no snakes have been seen, since clearing and cleaning. I have also gone and walked the two bare areas, looking for snake tracks across the bare ground, it's very soft soil, so snakes should make easy to follow tracks. But I have not found one snake track across those two cleared areas.

Since we have moved here, we have killed two or three copperheads a year. I have seen one very large one, around 3 1/2 to 4 ft. long. All the rest have been 2 ft. or less.

Comment

Killed 2 of them in my barn last week. One was the biggest I’ve ever seen.
            And a cotton mouth the week before.
            Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 05-08-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I wish. That'd be awesome. We don't even have those here.

Comment

Haven’t seen any snakes out & about so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ran over a long one crossing the road. Was too dang tired to get out and see what it is. Thankful just to make it back to the house and get some much needed rest.

Comment

First one of these this year.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	295221AF-2312-4EF1-9C89-D86D3EACF99F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	24682945

Comment

The places I frequent I've noticed a drastic decrease in snakes. I'm thinking hogs eat them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen 2 so far in Limestone county. More than normal.

Comment

That was last year for me in NTX. Went from killing 1 in last 15-20 years to killing 7 last year all around the barn right before dark.

Comment

I killed one that was on top of the stacked cord of wood Saturday.

Comment

This time of year I drive the neighborhood on UTV after dark to run them over on the road. I started marking calendar last year with kills per date. I am behind this year. Last year had 11 kills at this time but this year only 6.
                              First year I got 31, last year 26. Breaking the 31 record this year is looking tough.

Comment

Anyone else overrun with copperheads this year?

Been living on the river a year this month. Killed a bunch when we moved in and have busted my rear on landscaping around the house plus cleanup down by the river. We have a big drain that had collected many year's worth of pecan limbs and other trash from the previous owner plus neighbors. I burned it last summer. Replaced 90% of the overgrown gardens around the house with white rock and got rid of huge bunches of overgrown iris and cannas. So far this year I've only seen our resident rat snake who gets a pass.
                                Last edited by TexaRican; 05-09-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X