No announcement yet.

Home Warranty Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 2 weeks shy of 1 year on this house. The AHS warranty the seller bought us came in handy for sure. Brand new oven went into overheat lockdown and the way it's installed it is very hard to get open when that happens. The guy from appliances and more spent hours out here working on it and stated they are losing money big time on these new ovens over their deal with AHS. Only cost me $75. Had him come back when the brand new dishwasher failed. Finally, had a plumber come out and replace the lower heating element on a 20 year old water heater. That is kicking the can down the road a bit but again, $75 versus $450 for a replacement plus labor. AHS wants $675 to renew and I'm very tempted. One AC unit I replaced when we moved in but the upstairs is 12 years old now....
    No complaints with AHS.

Being in Granbury, you probably get Appliances and More regardless. Keep in mind that supply chain disruption on appliance parts or even AC parts is very real right now. We did have to wait several weeks for a new circuit board on the dishwasher.
    Last edited by TexaRican; 05-04-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

My 2 pennies.... 3 years in Real Estate and not 1 family that I have served has been happy with the HW's It is, for the majority of people, a waste of money and they are now an in contract negotiation tool that usually just is a $600 donation from sellers. Not saying they don't have their purpose but I don't have great experience.

Comment

My only experience with AHS was selling our last house. When we listed with the agent it was an "inclusive" part of the contract that I was unaware of at the time. The A/C went out a week after we listed it. I called my normal A/C guy and he said we needed a new unit at tune of 6k. I called the realtor to let them know we needed to stop showing the house for awhile til I could put together the funds to replace it. She asked if I called AHS and told me about the contract. I called them. Of course, AHS only replaced the compressor but it got it running and cool again and we were able to sell the house without a huge investment. It worked for us in that situation but I don't think I would use it as an overall strategy for home repair in the home I live in. I think it's mainly a bandaid for most things.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

sears home warranty has worked for me. like anything else got to spend some time on the phone for claims if you want them to cover everything as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            I think home warranty is a scam. Other than the 1 year I’ve had with each home I’ve bought I’ve never had a home warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This. Over time I found that mine wouldn’t even cover costs of items that were used as direct selling points, such as a Freon recharge. We used it our first year to have the house rekeyed. After that it was pretty useless.

Comment

Nope. I’ll just insure myself. Not going to put up with the BS when something breaks. I’d rather pay more and use someone of my choice that I know and trust.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Take the amount of money you would have wasted on a home warranty and put it in a savings account.
                Or invest it at easy 6-8% returns!!!!!

20 years that adds up quick

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Take the amount of money you would have wasted on a home warranty and put it in a savings account.
                  Amen

Comment

I suggest saving the money in an account as well. I do not like having someone else controlling who works inside my home.

Comment

Great comments all! For the record, we have had both good and frustrating experience with AHS, but this "inaccurate" Amazon company takes the cake!! I finally got a "supervisor" to admit they are NOT an Amazon company and after another day of NO results, cancelled the contract as amiable as I could today. Then they told us we would be charged a $30 cancellation fee and it was stated in the contract, which I missed initially! I told their "supervisor" at least I would save a lot of $$ per month for the WORST customer service I have ever experienced cancelling!!

By the way, we do have our retirement savings we add to as much as possible, but a big ticket item hurts with us both retired and the busted, leaking tankless heater some idiot put in the attic has costs us a lot in repairs today including ceiling, etc. from water damage.

Still not sure what we are going to do but really worried about the "big expense" items like AC/Heating as our home is 10+ years old, etc. Thanks again and anymore experiences are welcomed.

Comment

Best advice I can give you is whatever price you’re quoted, send me half the quote in cash with a thank you note for saving you half the money. When we bought our house 9yrs ago it came with AHS. Coil went out, they would cover the coil but not all the extras the company said they were required to do. I could have replaced 2 coils for what the extras added up to.

I’ll pm you my address or you can Venmo, which ever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                          Seems like PreFix is $40 a month so $480 a year. I was considering getting a warranty with Choice Home Warranty, it looks to be about $510 a year. With PreFix costing $40 per hour for repairs and also being charged the price of items to replace I feel like PreFix would end up costing more.

What are the pros of PreFix over a home warranty?
                          Like many others expressed, a home warranty company is only as good as the contractors/vendors they partner with. Many times I hear my clients say that their home warranty won’t cover X problem that just occurred, and I hear the appreciation expressed from my clients with PreFix (especially those who have also had a home warranty in the past).

Comment

I had Old Republic (i think that's the name) nothing bad to say about my experience. I was always contacted the next day by a contractor and issues were quickly resolved. Replaced my A/C, garbage disposal, and garage door motor in my previous house.

Comment

I had a policy with Sears a few years back that covered th major appliances in the house, Water heater, dish washer, AC/Heat, fridge, freezer... It actually paid for itself. And had Sears service personnel doin the repairs. Relatively timely and decent service. Eventually had newer appliances So I dropped the coverage. Now that they are getting older I called Sears back. They will insure separate appliances but now, they also offer whole home warranties.. I didn't go get it but with their past track record (for me) That would be the one I would look at seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                I think home warranty is a scam. Other than the 1 year I’ve had with each home I’ve bought I’ve never had a home warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                X1000 set up a home emergency fund and have x amount put in the account out of every paycheck. Create your own home
                                Warranty.

Comment

Working...
                                X