No announcement yet.

Random Hunting Story……..2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter with her first and the Ol’ Woodmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good read!

And congrats to both of y’all!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
        Homage to Chew’s thread. My first deer

2014 is the year me and my wife bought our first country property, just outside Madisonville. Gorgeous 35 acre property mostly pasture but a tank, spring fed creek and 10 acres of woods.

Never had hunted deer before. Dad was a fisherman through and through and all his spare change went to fishing guides. Decided since I had been given a Remington Woodmaster in 30-06 by my him in my youth I would try my hand with it. He took his first deer with it and in 2019 my daughter would take hers.

You will notice my join date is 2014. I came on here to “learn” how its done. Ended up buying an Academy 30G feeder and a big boy pop up. Put the feeder along the wood line by the creek and the pop up 100 yds away open pasture with no brushing. Would have been a mistake except late Oct they baled the hay and I became just another bale in the field.

I did a few practice runs in the early morning of how I would slip in and out. Got my bipod set up and a chair. Even got a fancy red head lamp at Academy for 10 bucks. Sighted in the Leupold as it had been 10 years and got ready for my first hunt in the morning.

Moved like a trained soldier that morning from bale to bale. Cover and concealment lol. Got to the blind and moved that zipper as slowly and quietly as possible but **** they are loud. Slipped on in and sat.

Now the most nervous thing for me at this point was I was in an AR county. I had closely studied the 13 in rule diagram in the TPWD Outdoor Annual for weeks. Researched on TBH and found pics online. Would I be able to measure at 100 yds with my eyes was the question.

So dawn hits and there are does on the feeder. This is back when doe days was Thanksgiving week so they are not on the menu. 20 minutes after shooting light in a yaupon thicket 80 yds away from me I hear a crashing. More loud crashing sounds and then this 9 point buck crashes onto the pasture. His tongue **** near dragging the ground. He sniffs the air with curled lip towards the does. Dude is drunk on the sweet smell of female organs. I immediately tell myself “thats a legal buck” and my military/le muscle memory training kicks in as I have already put a round through his shoulder before even thinking about it.

Ended up busting bone and it paralyzed the deer and it started its death kicking. Over in a few minutes. I look away and give him his peace to die.

I was there by myself so by 7ish am Im sending LDPs to friends and family on my first day of my first hunt. I would soon learn hunting small acreage would be tough. I would spend the next 2 seasons and hundreds upon hundreds of hours in blinds and tree stands to see no shooters.

That Remington Woodmaster has produced first deers for 3 generations. I will always treasure it and pass it down to the next.

My first deer rifle given to me by my Dad was a 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06. Me being a stupid teenager pawned it thinking I needed a motorcycle my buddy was selling worse than I needed a deer rifle. [emoji2359]

My Dad has been long gone but I sure think about that rifle a lot. I’ve thought of buying another one, but it wouldn’t be the one he bought me and I would never use it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          My first deer rifle given to me by my Dad was a 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06. Me being a stupid teenager pawned it thinking I needed a motorcycle my buddy was selling worse than I needed a deer rifle. [emoji2359]

My Dad has been long gone but I sure think about that rifle a lot. I’ve thought of buying another one, but it wouldn’t be the one he bought me and I would never use it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ironically I now hunt deep E TX woods and there really isn’t a better bush carbine out there for that application. Every shot will be under 100 yds. I rarely take a rifle out after deer anymore but my kids do.

They sell 20 round after market mags for it if you need an “assault rifle” in 30-06 haha.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X