Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love it! Great story man

Comment

Man you tell a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Good read Bobby!
        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Great recap. Thanks for sharing a great story.

Comment

Good story. Turkey hunting can be pretty crazy, never know what to expect. I love calling in birds in the spring.

I call them crazy birds, because of the crazy things I have had happen when calling them in. Multiple times I have heard one, waaaayyy off somewhere. Then start calling trying to bring that bird in, from over a mile. Then when it gets 150 yards or so away, have a second one answer from a different direction. Then some time later, you realize the two birds are running towards you in a race to get to the hen. Then when they get about 40 yards a way, they stop and won't come any closer, you can't see them but you can hear them loudly. Then while trying to get those birds to come closer, but they just keep strutting back and forth, just out of site. All of the sudden a third bird about blows your ear drums out, with a very loud gobble directly behind you, around 15 yards away, and you have no cover on that side. Because you were hiding behind some brush, anticipating the two coming in from the other side. In those situations, I usually wind up getting seen by the bird behind me, he just ghosts on me, in a flash, not a sound. Then the other birds go silent and they are gone too.

I called in a lot of birds, before I finally killed one. I kept calling two or three at a time, I kept getting busted. My first bird, I killed when leaving for work one morning. Two days before, I was working on my car, out in the garage, then heard a turkey off in the distance. Went in the house, got My AR and turkey calls. Then started calling, the bird responded, and started coming in. I took off his direction, to look for a place to set up and call. I found a perfect spot under a cedar tree, with low hanging limbs. Called the bird in, to 30 yards. He stayed in a tree line that only had one spot where you could see up into those trees. He would strut and gobble, for 5 minutes, then walk over to that opening, peek through it and look to see where the hen was, then quickly step back out of the opening. We play that game about four times. Then I figured his game, set the call down while he was gobbling and strutting. Then got the rifle up and aimed for the opening. Sure enough he popped out, I put the crosshairs on the base of his neck and fire. Bird took off, gone. I jumped up ran, dove under the fence and took off through the opening, looking for the bird. No bird, no blood, no feathers. I looked for 20 minutes, nothing, bird gone. I am **** good with that AR, it was on a 30 yard shot, how the hell did I screw that up. As I walked back to pick up the rifle and calls. I realized I had gone under the barbed wire fence, that went through the opening, very quickly. Then thought how was my fat *** able to get under that fence so quickly. Then I looked, and saw the bottom strand of barbed wire was gone. I looked to the left, and 30 yards away, was a bunch of barbed wire coiled up. So it turns out the lower strand of barbed wire was covered my my horizontal crosshair.

I never understood what that fence line was for, it ended where at the driveway, then ran about 250 yard up in the brush, then just stopped. It saved that turkey's life that day. Afterwards, I went back to the house, and back to working on my car.

Then two days later, I was leaving for work, stepped out the front door, went to close the door and lock it, the realized there was six turkeys out in front of the house. One big tom and five jakes. I went back in the house, grabbed my 17 HMR, stepped back out on the porch and shot the tom in the base of the neck. He ran about 20 ft. then dropped dead. The five jakes ran after him, when he dropped dead, they stopped, stood around him, looked at him, then went to town pecking him. I ran out to the tom, yelling at the dang jakes. They completely ignored me. I stood right next to the group of jakes yelling at them and waving my arms, they just kept pecking the dead tom. I finally kicked one, that bird stopped and look at me, like "who are you?", then right back to pecking the tom. So I took the 17 HMR and shot one of the jakes point blank, the barrel was dang near touching the bird. After the gun went off, it took the remaining jakes a few seconds before they realized something had happened, they eventually all looked up and saw me standing right next to them. They looked at me, I stared to wonder if they were going to try attacking me, but they turned and walked off into the brush.

I grabbed the birds, went and got my big ice chest. I gutted the birds, the threw the birds in the ice chest. Then called my boss and told him I was going to be late for work, and then why. Then took off into town to go get some ice to put the birds on ice. That afternoon, I finished cleaning the birds and put them in the freezer.

I have had many crazy things happen while hunting turkey, they are very unpredictable. That's why I call them crazy birds.

I love hearing turkey hunting stories, they are usually good. Yours is definitely different, would have been cool to hear that bird in that drainage pipe. I hope you cooked that bird on that pit, you were calling him with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                I started dancing up and down, violating most firearms safety rules
                Lol, done that dance too!!!
                Great story!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump

Comment

That’s a heck of a write up, turkey birds are strange critters, you never know how they will react.

Comment

Even in 2005 you were one ugly Son of a Gun! But great story!

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together!!!!!

Congrats Bobby!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

"...head stretched out like a Golden Corral VIP member when the chocolate fountain gets turned on."

Hahaha, that was awesome! Great story!

Comment

Working...
                          X