No announcement yet.

Celebrate the life of John "Tuthdoc" Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an idea..on sports teams they wear a black stripe or other patch when one of their teammates has fallen. What if we had a sticker or patch that could be placed on our bows this upcoming season to remind us of TuthDoc while we are out in the field or at the range and use the proceeds from the sale of those toward a memorial or donation in his name, so his name and legacy will live on[/QUOTE]

My wife and I own a sign and vehicle graphics company at Texas Motor Speedway and would like a TBH MOD to get with me thru a PM. I would like to donate say 500 stickers that are round black quarter size with the initials TD. Please contact me at 817-491-8947 I will be in and out but talk to my wife Teresa to work out how to get them to you. It would be our Honor so pklease call or PM

Comment

Great Jesture, Rock.

Thank Ya'll very much.

Lotta Good Folks Here

Comment

Thank you for starting this thread. I was contemplating starting just such a thread. We were shocked last Wednesday to hear that Tuthdoc had suffered a massive heart attack. Our concern turned to sadness and grief as we continued to receive updates and realized that, while we prayed and hoped for the best, John was fighting an uphill battle for his life...one that he ultimately lost yesterday afternoon. While we mourn with and for John's closest family and friends, we need to also reflect and celebrate John's life and how he obviously touched many of us in a positive way.

John was blessed with the gift of storytelling and the ability to put his thoughts in writing, and we are all fortunate that John recognized the importance of sharing his wit, wisdom and knowledge with others. I didn't know John very well - I only met him a handful of times at a couple of site gatherings and a couple of Bownanzas - but I do know from his posts here that he was passionate about bowhunting, and loved his family - "the blondes", Mark, Bobby, Matt and his grandchildren - dearly. He shared that passion and knowledge and wisdom not only with his brothers and his most recent protege, Matt, but with each of us here on TexasBowhunter.com.

My heart aches when I think of Matt, Mark and Bobby (and many of you whom were fortunate to be able to hunt with John) and their realization that they'll never share a camp, or receive an email or have a chance to talk to John again. But, they (and we) are fortunate that many of John's exploits and stories are documented here on this very site, and perhaps many more on various topics in other locations, and his legacy lives on through those writings. Many links are posted above, and I'm certain that several more of John's posts will be highlighted here and ultimately in the historical archives of the site, but I encourage those of you closest to John to print out some of those writings and photos and reference them periodically. He wrote them to you, and ultimately for you so that his wisdom might touch you beyond his earthly life. His brothers, children and grandchildren will grow in their appreciation that he took the time to put his thoughts on paper as the years pass and as they continue to grow.

Over the years, we've lost a lot of good men that were members of this site - Ed Kana, Mike Mireles, Alan Decroo, Troy Gatlin and others immediately come to mind - but I think I'm safe in saying that none were more active, and none touched more lives of people that he never met than John Lee, aka Tuthdoc. John held firm to his opinions and his philosophies, and when someone disagreed with him, he never attempted to belittle them for having a contrary opinion. As Matt indicated above, he didn't worry if somebody agreed or didn't agree, he held strong to what worked for him, trusting his own experience over anybody else's thoughts or theories.

John was instrumental in shaping TexasBowhunter.com. Even before he began posting here, I believe he was a moderator at Eders forums. I really enjoyed and admired his stories and posting style, and I so badly wanted to earn his respect and have him post his stories and pictures here. I don't recall if he posted it here or on another forum, but I remember once in the early days of the site that he posted that he liked this site, but wished it was easier to follow the posts and post pictures. I made it my personal mission to find a way to make sure it was as easy as possible for him to post. Even after he joined, I wanted so badly to meet this man, but it seemed like he never made it out to events that were purposely scheduled to make it easy for him to attend. I actually wondered, at one time, if he held something against me, personally, that caused him not to show up. I so longed for his respect! When I finally met him at a Happy Hour, I was ecstatic! I remember running across to a convenience store in Clear Lake to get him a Pepsi because the place we were having it didn't serve Pepsi!

Selfishly, I'm envious of those of you who were able to share a campfire and hunt with John. I wish I had made more of an effort to put together a hunt that included him. But I'm thankful that John shared his camps with each of us through his words and images. His memory will remain with us through little things that were uniquely Tuthdoc. Many have raised a glass of Pepsi in his honor as he battled for his life. I know I will forever link the Pepsi brand with John Lee. When I think of ground blinds or Rocket Broadheads (I believe his early choice of mechanicals was the Sidewinder), I will think of John. When I attempt to field judge a deer, using the Up/Down method (I think we should simply refer to that as the John Lee Method or the Tuthdoc Method) that so many of us use for quickly scoring a deer, I will forever think of John.

And Matt...you were a prize student for your "Paw-in-law", friend and mentor, and I always saw the mutual respect and love that was unique for fathers and sons, much less for an in-law relationship. I think you have the opportunity to carry the torch for continuing John's legacy here on TexasBowhunter.com, simply by continuing to be who you are and doing the things you learned from John. I, personally, will always link "Mailman" together with "Tuthdoc", and won't be able to read your posts without conjuring fond memories of him. I think the same holds true for Mark and Bobby.

We will miss you, John D. Lee, but we will never forget you.

Michael
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great post, Michael.

Thank You.

Comment

While never able to meet the man in person, we did meet on the GS a bunch. I learned alot from him, as I think we all did. He will be missed dearly. God Speed. We would definately be in for the sticker idea if it plays out. That is a great idea.

Comment

Only know him through this site. Never met him. Love his quote so I am putting it in my signature. RIP, my brother.

"I don't know if it's patience or a brain dysfunction. LOL It's just hard for me to end a hunt. I like being out there." TuthDoc. Axis Hunt 2008

Comment

Never got the chance to meet Tuthdoc, but can honestly say I looked up to him and his endless deer hunting knowledge. He came across the green screen as a man whom was a great mentor to many; Always respectful to the creatures that god had given him the chance to watch and pursue in his many hunting trips. Godspeed Mr. Lee

Comment

I still won't believe he's gone. I was bettin' he'd come out of even a massive heart attack. Here's just a few things I can remember John and me emailing and pm'ing about:

Diamond cuts in shoot-thru netting.

ArmyNavy Surplus netting.

Scoring deer quick.

Mechanical broadheads. I was NEVER gonna shoot 'em but after talking to him the big cut made me switch.

Bow poundages. 60s fine.

Stand setups and approaches.

Wind: I worried about it. He didn't.

Scent: I worried about it. He didn't. (Much)

UTVs.

Trail cameras. Trail cameras. Trail cameras.

Everything that went along with trail cameras.

Cows, coons and bullfrogs.

So much more I can't recall at the moment but was always sure I'd have a chance to pick his brain again. I will one day, too.

I can't imagine walking in and seeing his clothes laid out, Matt. We love you, brother.

Comment

Although I never met John I felt I knew him from reading and enjoying his posts. To those who knew him personally you were fortunate. May he rest in peace.

Comment

First Hunt

First Hunt

January of 2000, Jen and I had been dating about a year, and John and the brothers had lost the deer lease they were on, so they started duck hunting hard and heavy that year. Jen tells me, "It would be so neat if you and my dad could hunt together..." I was intimidated to ask him, but I worked up the courage and asked him if I could come on a duck hunt with him, he said sure Mailman.

I had never duck hunted in my life so John rigged me out with camo to "blend in" in the marsh, a facemask, and some gloves. I took my Dad's old .870 with us, and we were off. Now here is where the fun began, John didn't want to spend any money on a pair of waders for me not knowing if I would like duck hunting, and I was a poor college kid who could barely rub 2 nickels together, so we were going to borrow Bobby's waders for me because he had to work that morning.

Well unfortunately for me, John grabbed Clayton's waders (who was probably 13 at the time) instead of Bobby's, and Clayton could not have been more than about 5-5 or 5-6. I am 6-3, this was a BAD deal. The crotch in these things came up to my knees, and I couldn't even velcro the shoulder straps.

Another detail ol Tuthdoc left out was the fact we weren't actually going to hunt on Friday, we were going to wait until Saturday so everybody could get in on the action. We scouted on Friday, we walked and walked across that marsh. I kept up as best I could with those waders at my knees. It was a misreable day, and to top it off we found birds, and we didn't shoot them. For a 19 year old kid this made no sense, but I can still hear those words today...

"Matt we learned 2 lessons today, it is so much better to enjoy this with everyone, it would have been terrible to shoot out that hole and kill 2 limits today, but our shoot tomorrow may not have been as good, and everyone will be here tomorrow. Saturday we kill ducks. Find the birds one day, kill them the next day!!!" "Lesson #2, you cannot fit in a youth pair of waders!!! LOL"

He ALWAYS thought of others before himself, and I have kept that lesson he tought almost 10 years ago with me to this day. The outdoors is such a precious gift, and he was so right it is so better to share it with friends. He also taught me its not as easy as he made it look. He worked his tail off setting up stands, building pens, filling feeders, studying maps, etc. He did all the little things that made him the hunter he was. He made sure he involved me in everything, and that taught me so much on how you are really supposed to treat peope. Any question I asked, he always answered. No matter how trivial it was, he never made me feel dumb or stupid for asking he always took the time to explain it all to me.

That is what has made this ordeal so difficult for me, we did EVERYTHING together. Everywhere I look I see John. I am at his house right now typing this looking at the "Five / Deuce" Axis he killed last year. He was so proud of that deer. I keep waiting for the bedroom door to swing open and hear his normal greeting, "What's Up Chief???"

I am going to miss the phone calls so much. We didn't talk to each other for just 5 minutes, we had 30 and 45 minute phone calls. I'll never forget Jen saying to me once, "How's your best friend???" In a typical snotty wife voice!!! "He never wants to talk to his daughter, just his best buddy Matt!!!" And I told her remember that conversation back in January of 2000, "It would be so neat if you and my dad cold hunt together!!!" It was all your fault sweetie...

It never hit me until Thursday when all this started, John was my best friend in this world. I miss him so much and its only been about 24 hours. There is a big hole in my life right now, there is not enough time or space to tell you all the stories, and all the memories, all the lessons that man taught me, but I am going to do my best. It is my honor to pass his knowledge on to others...

I am working on the Eulogy that I am going to read Friday at his service, and I apologize for clogging up this thread, I know you guys and gals have plenty you want to share, but this process is really helping me to try and find things I can incorporate into my tribute to him...

Comment

That is alright Matt. Share all your thought you want.

Comment

keep those stories coming mailman!!! Awesome stuff amigo...

Comment

R.I.P. John. thanks for sharing everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                              First Hunt

I am working on the Eulogy that I am going to read Friday at his service, and I apologize for clogging up this thread, I know you guys and gals have plenty you want to share, but this process is really helping me to try and find things I can incorporate into my tribute to him...
                              Matt, no apology needed. We are laughing and crying with you.

Thanks for the Stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonbonjovi View Post
                                I have an idea..on sports teams they wear a black stripe or other patch when one of their teammates has fallen. What if we had a sticker or patch that could be placed on our bows this upcoming season to remind us of TuthDoc while we are out in the field or at the range and use the proceeds from the sale of those toward a memorial or donation in his name, so his name and legacy will live on
                                I was thinking along the same lines for those who will be attending his homegoing celebration. Wear your Bownanza name tag with a black stripe across it.

Comment

Working...
                                X