Selling coon pelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling coon pelts

So I'm up to my ears in Coons and am thinking about setting some traps to catch them and sell their pelts.

Looking at tpwd website it seems like I can't sell them without a trappers license.
    Is this true even for individual landowners just wanting to get rid of some Coons?

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    So I'm up to my ears in Coons and am thinking about setting some traps to catch them and sell their pelts.

Looking at tpwd website it seems like I can't sell them without a trappers license.
    Is this true even for individual landowners just wanting to get rid of some Coons?
    Yes. You have to have trappers license to sell. Not sure if theyre bringing anything though.

Comment

Trappers license will cost you about 5 coons, and you need to wait until they are prime. Usually Dec., Jan. and Feb. are best. How you handle them will determine how much you get, maybe up to $10, but expect around $5 average.

Comment

Just let them eat and do their thing. I don’t understand the hate towards coons that everyone here has. I love to sit and watch them when I’m in the stand. Not one single time in 25+ years have they ever tore up/chewed on my feeders.

Comment

Coons are very destructive. I had as many as 15 at a time at my calf creep feeder.. I started catching them and giving them to my neighbor by the farm.. it seemed like the more I caught the more there were. After 2 years and 178 coons it finally got down to 1 or 2 at a time on camera.. no telling how much feed they wasted by raking it out on the ground.. I wish people still coon hunted to keep the population down..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
            Coons are very destructive. I had as many as 15 at a time at my calf creep feeder.. I started catching them and giving them to my neighbor by the farm.. it seemed like the more I caught the more there were. After 2 years and 178 coons it finally got down to 1 or 2 at a time on camera.. no telling how much feed they wasted by raking it out on the ground.. I wish people still coon hunted to keep the population down..

Yup....they can be destructive as hell on our feeders and water tote systems and we mow down every one we can. Before we started trapping I had pics of 15+ coons at a time. If they defeat your varmint guards they can empty 900 lbs of feed in a month and mess up electronics.... That's from experience.

Not worth the time to sell the pelt IMO.....buzzards and foxes gotta eat too.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
              Just let them eat and do their thing. I don’t understand the hate towards coons that everyone here has. I love to sit and watch them when I’m in the stand. Not one single time in 25+ years have they ever tore up/chewed on my feeders.

I feel the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They eat a lot of corn! I usually trap them when they become prime and give the hides to a friend who has a trappers license so he can sale them!

If I have more than two or three showing up to a feeder, then I will go ahead and trap them before they get prime must to remove the corn thieves.

Comment

Kill em all. *******s have eaten about 1000lbs of corn in the last 5 years on the lease. Stated waging war on em and not showin any mercy on em. Duke coon traps and a 22 work great. KILL EM ALL!!!

Comment

Find someone who likes to eat them. Just give them the whole coon and let them deal with skinning it. Fur doesn't bring enough to make it worth the effort like it used to.

Or save them, have them tanned. and make something from them.

Comment

I keep corn out/feeders running all year. I just consider it feeding the wildlife. My corn isn’t deer specific. If you don’t want the coons to eat the corn, buy the bag of corn that say “Deer Corn” on them. That’s made specifically for deer and coons don’t like it.

Comment

There hasn't been a market for them in the past few years. For two Winters in a row I practically gave raccoons away. $2 or $3 a piece. Ain't even worth shootin at that price.

Comment

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 09-21-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            . If you don’t want the coons to eat the corn, buy the bag of corn that say “Deer Corn” on them. That’s made specifically for deer and coons don’t like it.
                            Wait what??

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                              Wait what??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X