• Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2019 Night Vision & Thermal Thread

There ya go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife outdid herself. I don’t have a Facebook account so I use hers for classifieds etc. She saw my discussion with a guy on there about some refurbished scopes he had. She asked what the new equivalent was etc, which she takes an interest in learning about my hobbies so seemed normal. She decided to contact him and I now own a brand new Trail XQ38 with an extra battery. Can’t wait to test it out. Seems so user friendly just watching the dogs run around.

Comment

Heck yeah!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            My wife outdid herself. I don’t have a Facebook account so I use hers for classifieds etc. She saw my discussion with a guy on there about some refurbished scopes he had. She asked what the new equivalent was etc, which she takes an interest in learning about my hobbies so seemed normal. She decided to contact him and I now own a brand new Trail XQ38 with an extra battery. Can’t wait to test it out. Seems so user friendly just watching the dogs run around.
            She's a keeper!

Comment

So I’m sitting on top of my ranger guarding a teal pond, already popped a couple of hogs at another pond using my Wraith ((video after daylight) but gonna need waders to go look for them so that’s a daylight job.

While sitting up here feeding the mosquitoes I’d thought I’d point out that it’s wise to be as spontaneous as you can be while chasing them. Since I’ve bought my first thermal from Jason. It’s been my habit too head out as the sun is going down and hunt till I was sleepy, usually 12-1:30AM.

The hogs figured this out.

So this morning I got up at 3AM and went out to these ponds. As I was slow rolling/scanning the first pond (didn’t think anything would be there because a skunk in the road forced me to rev the ranger and pass him quickly) I spot several pigs in the pond.

Now here’s a trick I learned in South Texas, the minute you spot them most people charge and you’ll send them flying for cover.

Kill the engine and let it roll to a stop.

No brake lights, no slam it into park just kill and roll. Those hogs immediately stopped and went back to rooting. I eased down the road and shot I know two or three and for sure killed one. We used to stop them this way while spot lighting fields and 9/10 of the time they’d be right where the light was when we turned it back on.

Reeeeeeeeeally wish I still worked down there with the gear I got now, would of made work ALOT easier

Comment

We don’t do anything except keep driving when we spot them. Drive with headlights on and everything. Spot em with thermal and keep rolling. once we’re a decent distance (few hundred yards) we start think about our approach and their evacuation direction. We absolutely keep wind in our favor, but if possible we line ourselves up with excellent follow up shot potential. It’s not hard to drop 10+ pigs per sounder this way. We’ve done it quite a few times. The trick is to keep your rifle running

Last two times we did this my buddy had his rifle jam on the first round. I still dropped 7-8 myself each time, but we could’ve easily been at 12-15 with him shooting as well. Haha

Comment

Good point about keeping the guns running. I had a loaner last trip as did another guy and both jammed first shot. That said, any way to practice moving shots other than hogs? I tend to jerk the trigger on follow ups which could be solved with more trigger time to some degree but would like to practice leading. Running a flat trigger now that it’s my setup hoping that helps as well

Comment

Do you shoot supported or free handed? Free handed I have to concentrate more to squeeze. I normally run a Leofoto 364 tripod with ballhead and arca Mount. The tripod is amazingly steady, and allows me to focus more on shooting then holding steady.

Comment

I’m using a primos tripod, it definitely helps.

Comment

Freehand from a sitting position in most cases. I have a Tripod setup I need to swap the head for a ball head.

Comment

Coyotes beat me too it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                            Coyotes beat me too it!!!
                            [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdncom/20190911/sexyrussman.jpg[/1MG]

I am starting to see why so many Russian girls send you DMs on IG!

Comment

2019 Night Vision & Thermal Thread

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              I am starting to see why so many Russian girls send you DMs on IG!
                              It’s my winter cover ain’t it???

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X