No announcement yet.

Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids mowed and did other work around the house and my office when they were growing up. I paid them. I also made sure that they gave at least 10% of what they earned to the church and that they saved at least 10% of what they earned. I would match everything that they saved. They could save more than 10% if they chose to, or they could spend all 80% remaining as soon as I paid them. It was their choice. My goal was to help them learn how to earn money and how to manage it responsibly.

They're both financial advisors today, so maybe it worked.

Also, when they were teenagers, they NEVER came and asked me for money. If they ever needed more money, they'd come and ask my wife or I if we had any work that they could do to earn some more money. That worked out pretty well. If we ever had stuff we didn't want to do, we'd pay them to do it. Win/win.

Comment

My dad’s response when I asked for an allowance to mow when I was a kid.......”Get out there and mow the mother ****ing yard before I put both my boots up your ***.”.

I don’t pay my kids directly for mowing the yard, but they receive plenty for as little as they actually have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My kids played so much baseball it was hard for them to have jobs to make spending money so I let them mow the yard each week around their baseball schedule. I paid them a little less than what I would pay someone else to mow it. I explained that other guy was providing his own equipment so he to recover some of that in the price for each yard he mowed. They started understanding about revenue and income at and early age, lol.

Comment

No, cause he cant mow for sheet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so he weed eats and I run the Ztr

Comment

I pay my son $20 to mow our yard, but he very loosely runs a "lawn service" for people in the neighborhood. It has picked up over the years and I like the work ethic that he is picking up. I also make him do his own negotiations with potential customers which I also believe is an excellent thing to learn.

My proudest moment as his parent though was when a nearly 80 year old man asked him about mowing. He went down and checked out the yard, went into negotiations and charged the man half his usual rate. When I asked him why he told me that he didn't feel right charging the elderly man that much money, and he was afraid that if he priced the yard too high he wouldn't use him and continue to mow the yard himself. He said he wouldn't feel right watching that man mow his own yard at that age.

Comment

I did most of the mowing by the time I was 8 or so, dad usually ran the weedeater. He had 2 acres, 1/2 of which he insisted on fertilizing/watering incessantly....and required that it be push mowed and bagged. The rest we mowed with the tractor or riding mower. I got an allowance when I wasn't in trouble, it was like $20 a week for mowing, picking the garden, taking care of the dog, cleaning my room, and whatever other mindless bull**** my mom could dream up to occupy my time. Dad would pay me for helping plant shrubs, did up dead shrubs, clearing out the fenceline, or cleaning up behind the barn....sometimes an agreed upon amount, and sometimes whatever he wanted.

I went to work at the family business when I was 11 and got a little too independent about my home chores, so then the boat didn't leave the barn until the yard was done, so the yard got done!

My son is going to get his first electric weedeater today or tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                Me as a kid...
                AMEN!! Biggest problem with kids nowdays no ***** whoopings and lack of work ethic.

Comment

Me as a kid...
                  Yes sir!
                  I never got a red dime for a single chore in my life.

Comment

push mower and a walk behind weed eater on 2 acres, then i let him drive the ranch truck on the county roads. he's 13

Comment

Me as a kid...
                      This made me LOL because I love that movie!!!!

Comment

i mowed my mom and dads yard for free always and id mow my grand parents yard for free but they would always give me $5 dollars i mowed all 3 yards tell i was 22 then i moved away and it was not always easy getting down there to mow.
                        My parents did not pay but they looked out for me, i would never spend that money papa gave me i saved everything. When my kids get older i might give them $5 dollars or so to help out.

Comment

I will pay my kids $400 to mow our 3 acres with the zero turn.

I also charge them $395 each time they rent my zero turn.

Comment

Mine do, payment is good to eat, clean clothes and a comfy house to live in

Comment

He helped me. No pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                Also, when they were teenagers, they NEVER came and asked me for money. If they ever needed more money, they'd come and ask my wife or I if we had any work that they could do to earn some more money. That worked out pretty well. If we ever had stuff we didn't want to do, we'd pay them to do it. Win/win.
                                Well he's only 11 but he already doesn't ask for me to buy him stuff other than birthday and Christmas. Just like your kid he will come ask for chores to do to earn money. To me, paying him for "work" and then him using his own earned money teaches way more than me not pay him but him always coming and asking me to buy him something. I know for me growing up it was the same. Every single thing I had growing up past the age of 12 was either a birthday or Christmas gift or something I bought with my own earnings. I feel like it taught me way more than just my parents making me do chores for "free" but then them buying me what I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X