Leupold VX5hd or Vortex LHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a lightweight folding rifle in 6.5 creedmoor that I'm looking to get a scope for - I'd prefer a decent turret to dial out to 600 yards or so, as well as a reticle with windage and illuminated dot.

Trying to keep it under 20oz, so I'm looking at the following scopes:

- Leupold VX5HD 3.5-14x44 with illum firedot

- Vortex HD LHT 3.5-15x42 with illum moa reticle

I'm not aware of an MOA illuminated reticle for the Leupold, only the firedot. This rifle will double as a kid's blind and truck gun - so I'd prefer some sort of illuminated center dot to help with quick aiming.

Please let me know if you had any input on either model scope!

Thanks

Leopold every time for me

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to agree with booger. I don't have anything against the Vortex, but I have made the comparison more than a couple of times and on paper all things appear to be pretty equal. When I figure in my many years of good experiences with various Leupold rifle scopes I simply cannot go with the contender. I'd like to try the Vortex but not at the cost of NOT having the Leupold with that same money.

Comment

100% the VX5, Vortex has gone to crap IMO and I loved those optics. I still have plenty but I’d never buy another one. I have 7 VX5’s and about that may 6’s and never had any problems what so ever. Now up you upped the budget a tad my number one choice would be NF but for what your needing that’s way overkill it sounds like.
        Last edited by Kong; 06-08-2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I have two LHT's and about to order a third. Nothing against Leupold but I have gone to the mil based reticles and for a dialable hunting scope with a clean(simple) mil reticle and so far, proven mil turrets that track reliably, you can't beat the LHT. The red center dot is a huge plus as well.

Comment

I have both. I got Vortex LHT on my last build due to night hunting full moon and wanted the illuminated reticle and still be able to shoot out to 1000yds also.

Comment

VX5HD for me

Comment

Leupold. Although I do agree they need to get in the stick with better reticles in the VX5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just bought the VX5HD in 4x20x52 Firedot the other week . Took it to the range. Nice and light. 23oz. Love it so far. I'm happy with the choice.

Comment

Vx5hd, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Leupold. Although I do agree they need to get in the stick with better reticles in the VX5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Agreed. I like the FireDot fine, and although I know this won't happen I'd like to see it incorporated into the B&C reticle. Dialing is great, but for those fleeting opportunities that may require a quicker shot delivery, there's nothing quite like a good holdover reticle that you are well familiar with. Then it's just range and shoot, vs having to take the time to dial. Not a ton of difference in the time, but often enough to matter...

I have a VX5 ordered with the B&C reticle for my 7 Rem Mag TBH/APR group build. I think a holdover reticle in conjunction with the ability to dial presents the best of both worlds. Having the illumination would be icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                        I'm not aware of an MOA illuminated reticle for the Leupold, only the firedot.
                        They make the TMOA, but you'd have to upgrade to the VX6.
                        Oh and I'd also hands down go with the Leupold over Vortex.

Comment

VX5 HD Fire dot with the CDS... I wouldn't trade it for any of my vortex glass

Comment

I'm not a fan of the firedot for what you're looking for.

Any thoughts towards a 2-12 or 3-18x44 VX-6 with the illuminated TMOA? They're both right in there regarding weight.

Comment

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Leupold hands down. I’ve got a vx5 with a fire dot reticle and something to think about is at 600 yards that thing will cover up a lot of target. I have mine on a .338 win mag that is strictly for moose and big bears where shot distance won’t be very far and if it is at a little bit of distance, the target is big enough it won’t cover up too much. I wouldn’t use that reticle on any of my other rifles, granted the reticle is all personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                              X