Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpaid sabbatical at 51? Any of yall done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given you are single with no kids, why not go enjoy life? If you have enough money saved to travel you are in better financial shape than most, I suspect. As long as you can carry insurance while you are not working, I think it is a no-brainer, in your shoes I would do it without a doubt.

I think this way. You have probably been working since 16 or 18, cause that is how it was with our group, I am 7-8 years behind you. So at 50 you have been working 32 years.

Now the common theme is to slack for a while, go to college and not get serious until 25-30. Most have a handful of useless paper and a mountain of debt to pay off.

We had a 10-year head-start and likely no debt, or minimal debt.

The age cutoff for retirement is a freaking joke that only rewards slackers that do not start working until late in life, or never. If you make x amount of dollars and pay in x amount you should be able to retire, it should be merit-based and not solely based on your age. If you work your *** off from 18-on you are paying more taxes than the slacker that starts at 30. However, you would be working 12 more years. *The college crowd will be along shortly to say how much more they make in fewer years. Sure, that is likely the case in some fields but not all, and certainly not mine. Those people should be on board with the meritocratic system as well.

You cannot enjoy life at **** near 70 like you could at 50, just facts. I envy someone that will buck the system and step out of the slow, steady, go to work, go home, go to work, go home, go to work, go home, slow march to death.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea Mike!

Hope you and Jerry are doing well...

Comment

Go for it! Here is a little story my uncle told me on our last trip to Colorado together. He was already having issues getting around. Me ,my dad & him went to Colorado the year before. Their 1st trip back in 20 years. My 1st trip ever. We made plans to return the next year. My dad passed that summer from a heart attack. Me & my uncle went back. While we were sitting around after one hunt he opened up about how much they had enjoyed getting back up there. He told me ,your dad & me just worked our butts off for 20 years & always found a reason not to make the trip. Now I look at you & see you crawling up & down the mountain like a elk. I can barely walk down the road. He told me enjoy your life. I have more money than I can spend before I die ,but can't enjoy it anymore. He said you have to have some money put back for a rainy day, but if you can do whatever you like before you get too old to fully enjoy it.

Comment

Lol you have some years on me but i want to do the same thing.....right now!

Comment

You have THE golden ticket; no kids. (edit: no nagging wife; Platinum)

YES, go. You can look into a variety of travel insurances that cover you just in case something were to happen while away.

Additionally, most of the time, good, quality private healthcare while abroad is inexpensive.

I'm willing to bet, you could find a place or two you'd be willing to live for awhile at a much cheaper annual expense than here in Texas/US. All the while your current retirement accounts grow (hopefully, maybe, probably but never a guarantee). So, maybe this sabbatical could last until you are 59.5 and then you can decide to stay abroad or come home be retired.

Anyways, DO IT! Once you leave, and start, you'll laugh at the thought of not having done it.

I'm sure there are many reasons NOT to do it, however, you have ONE life; ONE; so just go.

The other question, any of y'all done it?

Yes, I have. Hence the above enthusiasm. I also suggest you start a new thread of suggestions on where to go, what to do, and perhaps guys can even tailor trips/areas/activities to your liking.
            Last edited by MLank; 06-02-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I tried to do this a few years ago when we sold our company. Sale was final in August and I hunted and fished and did whatever I wanted for about 8 months. Soon realized that I was just falling into a different routine. So I went back to work about 2 1/2 years ago and plan on doing it for another 2-3 years and then be done for good.

Health insurance was definitley a concern at 54, as well as happy hour seemed to start a little earlier each day.

Comment

I retired last year at the ripe old age of 50. I’m six months into it and couldn’t be happier. Do it if you can. You only get a limited number of trips around the sun on this ride.

Comment

Last edited by Tequilazo; 06-02-2021, 08:33 AM. Reason: mlank said it first

Comment

Originally posted by mlank View Post
                    you have the golden ticket; no kids. (edit: No nagging wife; platinum)

yes, go. You can look into a variety of travel insurances that cover you just in case something were to happen while away.

Additionally, most of the time, good, quality private healthcare while abroad is inexpensive.

I'm willing to bet, you could find a place or two you'd be willing to live for awhile at a much cheaper annual expense than here in texas/us. All the while your current retirement accounts grow (hopefully, maybe, probably but never a guarantee). So, maybe this sabbatical could last until you are 59.5 and then you can decide to stay abroad or come home be retired.

Anyways, do it! Once you leave, and start, you'll laugh at the thought of not having done it.

I'm sure there are many reasons not to do it, however, you have one life; one; so just go.

Yes, i have. Hence the above enthusiasm. I also suggest you start a new thread of suggestions on where to go, what to do, and perhaps guys can even tailor trips/areas/activities to your liking.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Comment

I took one at 34 lol, I took around 8 months off from work. I was able to see my baby boy everyday and it was worth it. Now I’m back to working been over a year already.

Comment

Look into foreign medical vacations for health insurance needs and adventure.

Comment

Do it.

life is to short.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                            I am 50 and am considering taking a year or 2 off (quitting current job so not really sabbatical) to enjoy life and take a few of my dream trips. I am single and no kids. I am good shape financially but not good enough to officially retire just yet. Have any of you guys done this?? After the sabbatical I just need to work enough to have health insurance and make a small income for a few years so finding a job after shouldn't be a problem. I see too many people working their butts off until 60+ and then passing before enjoying much retirement.
                            Almost identical to you... 2 years older and married but kids are grown. If I work through now I could be done 56 but I'm beyond burned out. More like a husk. I need some time to really disconnect but at my age I'm really concerned about getting a decent job coming back into the workforce a year or two later. I'm actually thinking about job hunting and finding something with a start date a few months out and then pulling the plug. While it wouldn't be much of a sabbatical, a month or two off would be golden...

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                              You have THE golden ticket; no kids. (edit: no nagging wife; Platinum)

YES, go. You can look into a variety of travel insurances that cover you just in case something were to happen while away.

I'm willing to bet, you could find a place or two you'd be willing to live for awhile at a much cheaper annual expense than here in Texas/US. All the while your current retirement accounts grow (hopefully, maybe, probably but never a guarantee). So, maybe this sabbatical could last until you are 59.5 and then you can decide to stay abroad or come home be retired.

Anyways, DO IT! Once you leave, and start, you'll laugh at the thought of not having done it.

I'm sure there are many reasons NOT to do it, however, you have ONE life; ONE; so just go.

Yes, I have. Hence the above enthusiasm. I also suggest you start a new thread of suggestions on where to go, what to do, and perhaps guys can even tailor trips/areas/activities to your liking.
                              I have multiple times.
                              Never had kids, wife, or any debt.

Comment

My best friend passed last week at 55. Don't put it off.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X