Age this Hill Country Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
    Neck just doesn’t seem thick enough for older than 4.5.. but obviously this isn’t close to rutty neck either with all that fuzz on his horns... another good reference I like to see is the size of the hocks and the wear on his front knees from getting up from his bed all these years. Thoughts?
    All excellent indicators of age. Except the neck and hocks won't be useful for another month give or take. He's got some sway in his back and a pretty good pot belly going on. He's also got a visible depression in his forehead which is also a good indicator. Just looking at his face in general he's not ancient but he's not young either.

Those long legs make him look younger. But different bucks have different body configurations so you can't always go by that. How they walk is another good indicator. Younger bucks have that smooth fluid gait. Older bucks have that choppy arthritic gait. Something you don't get with a still photo. Camera angles can change a lot of things as well. Aging off pictures is somewhat of a crapshoot at times.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      All excellent indicators of age. Except the neck and hocks won't be useful for another month give or take. He's got some sway in his back and a pretty good pot belly going on. He's also got a visible depression in his forehead which is also a good indicator. Just looking at his face in general he's not ancient but he's not young either.

Those long legs make him look younger. But different bucks have different body configurations so you can't always go by that. How they walk is another good indicator. Younger bucks have that smooth fluid gait. Older bucks have that choppy arthritic gait. Something you don't get with a still photo. Camera angles can change a lot of things as well. Aging off pictures is somewhat of a crapshoot at times.
      Well said, Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
        Well said, Larry.

Agreed. Thanks for that!

Comment

Comment

Alright, now watch this video and let me know your guesses. It sure changed my opinion.

Comment

I think you need a more current hard horn pic to really age him. Its hard to age deer accurately in early August.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                Alright, now watch this video and let me know your guesses. It sure changed my opinion.
                https://youtu.be/rimg3aMxSbQ
                That dude is old, 6+ good target buck IMO.

Comment

i think hes 7+ based on the video

Comment

He looks older in the video. Muscle tone isn't very tight like a thoroughbred, which starts giving way to mass and sagging at 5+. I'd guess 5-7, but he's a tough one with those long legs.

Comment

6 possibly older

Comment

5 plus. Very solid deer for that area. He's a smart sucker to stay alive for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                          That dude is old, 6+ good target buck IMO.
                          This^

Comment

neck skinny, doesn't even meet his brisket yet. 3.5years

Comment

5+

Comment

Yep more like 7.5

Comment

Working...
                                X