Little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little things

There are a lot of little things I like about traditional archery. One is resharpen and reuse of a good broadhead. I've always done it. Even with a compound whether I was shooting Bear Razorheads or Rage. If I could clean them and reuse them I'd sharpen and go again. I like killing multiple animals with the same arrow and head. The head on the left is one that has done just that(the one on the right is new for comparison) . It's been on two arrows and through at least 8 animals that I recovered and a couple I didn't. So worn the paint is wearing off. Last night it took out another pig. I just touched it up and it's going back on the same arrow that has been washed and is ready to go back in the quiver.
    I know some folks look at "traditional" as the simpler side. Really though, the reality is, it is very complicated, detailed and taylor fitted for each individual and their chosen equipment.
    But sitting down with a couple of stones on a rainy and cold morning, after a good evening in stand, retouching the edge on that killer head just feels . . . right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRT; 10-26-2020, 08:42 AM.

You can have your stones!!! I can’t sharpen things well at all without some kind of guide. I’ve finally figure out a system that works well for me, so I stick with that.

You are totally correct in that trad archery is really more complicated than simple.

Congrats again in all your critters, and keep it up going on from here!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like to think of traditional archery as a lifetime of constant tweaks. Luckily, I like to tweak! And sharpen heads for that matter...finally getting decent at it but it took some work!

Comment

sharpening a head is a skill most modern archers do not have. it is primal and i dig it for all the reasons you explained. thank you for reminding us

Comment

It is a skill. Skills have to be worked at and developed. Practiced to try to attain perfection.
          Now over the years some tools have been designed to assist in making it easier and more consistent.
          But I think too many don't know the difference between sharp and scary sharp.
          I'm sitting in a blind wishing I could have gotten a shot at this axis buck. I have a very sharp single bevel Grizstix head with his name on it.
          I haven't shot these in years and before I stored them in pill bottles I had them scary sharp. The pill bottle lid has a small hole drilled in it and the ferrel screws into it so the blade never touches plastic and technically should never dull.
          However when I took them out of the bottle and checked them, yes still scary sharp but I could not help myself but to give them a few loving strokes on the stone.

The difference in the sharpness of a broadhead can come down to did it nick that blood vessel as it barely touched it on the way through or did it just push it out of the way and now a would have been dead animal bleeding enough to track and find turns into a tough or impossible track and an animal just wounded badly.
          We work hard to tune our arrow set ups, get our form and release consistent and down pat.
          Yet some will shoot a broadhead into a foam target then pull the arrow and go shoot an animal with it. Or shoot one animal, retrieve the arrow and shoot another without touching up the blade.
          So much so I have bought several sharpeners and leave them at our ranch. And if I'm there I'll even sharpen/resharpen heads for my two ranch partners.
          Thankfully one of them at least has listened and is trying to get good at it. The other one I'm pretty sure I'll be sharpening his until I die.[emoji1] At least now he wants me to.

Comment

That said I've paid for and shelved many heads over the years that I found impossible for me to get that level of sharpness I need. But some of the "marginal shots" I've "made" over the years have taught hard lessons. Especially liver shots. A scary sharp head is a dead deer. A dull head there is a chance you won't find it and I've seen them survive it.
            Wild animals are tough and resilient.
            I just believe in controlling what I can.

Comment

Having had less than ideal blood trails with some narrow 2-blade, single bevel broadheads recently -- which I feel were plenty sharp -- I now have some wider ones. Went with Iron Wills wide-cut series. Can't wait to see what kind of blood trail they'll produce if I do my part.

Here's some pics of penetration through a blue "wildebarrel" . Arrow is 518 grains, with 225-grain tip, shot from 67-lb recurve from about 17 yards. Tip was shaving sharp out of the box and after shot.

BTW, this is a double-bevel head. I realize that I may be sacrificing the bone-splitting capability of single-bevel blades, but decided the wider cut is more likely to yield a better blood trail, which is necessary, no matter what. Plus, I think I'm fine on penetration power for white tails, either way.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
              Last edited by tradtiger; 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately as I age, I'm liking wide blades as well.
                I remember when a Thunderhead was fine and I could see the red mist of the aspirated blood on the grass and leaves.
                Now I like actual drops of blood. Drizzles or splashes are even better.
                I'm glad Hector has seen the light. He was all working on his heads last weekend. And had a good blood trail to show for it reinforcing the point.
                Just makes me wonder every time Jason releases one though . . . [emoji19]

Comment

I was disappointed to not get passthru on the spike I just harvested. Blood trail was good and critter was dead and penetration was to the far side rib. Ive 300 grains up front...using a 3 blade VPA. I dont blame the blade...they were sharp... however I cant seem to get 3 blades scary sharp like I can 2 blades. Also, I think the major little thing Ive wrong is too much fletching helical to my arrows. Im thinking that I should try to fletch straight with left wing feathers (right curving feathers) and promote less spin. I think I dumped alot of energy inside the body with the arrows spinning fast and the 3 blades arent meant to torque but to punch. Ive some 300grain 2 blade double bevel VPAs that are coming out of the bull pen to take the mound on my current aggressively spinning hunting arrows.
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-22-2020, 08:54 AM. Reason: InsideBodyTorqueEnergyDumpSpake

Comment

I significantly lessened the offset on my jig. Did two things I know of. Changed my arrow trajectory some and quieted the flight.
                    Penetration I'm not sure.
                    I usually get two holes but often the arrow goes with the animals hanging out the far side then find it 5 to 20 yards out.

Comment

I bought some of these Carbon Express Pile Drivers when they were on sale at 3 Rivers after reading your praises and I'm glad I did. Great blood trails and great head, just have to sharpen them up a bit.

Comment

I've been impressed with how they take and hold an edge. So far I've killed several animals out of the first two packages. Destroyed two in the rocks and one I lost on a big pig I hit in the shoulder.

Comment

What a good skill Bow hunting is.

Comment

Simplicity

Comment

Working...
                            X