Looking for East Texas Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casey View Post
    Found this article interesting. It always intrigued me as a yoot how they had a black bear season in the Outdoor Annual where I hunted in Cass County. I think it'd be awesome to see bears back in the woods of East Texas.

On the Lookout for a Texan of the Past
    It's cool until you have feeders up.
    They do more damage than feral hogs.

Comment

There was a meeting here in RRC three years ago with TPWD about them. We've had several dozen sightings a year here for the last few years. I had numerous buddies who hunt far north near the river who've seen them or had pics of them on camera. Mostly juvenile males looking for new territory. If they could grow to a huntable population I'm all for it!!! Well see how it goes.

Comment

Are you nancys really worried about a bear attacking you on the way to the blind? I hope they do make a comeback so you clowns can stay home.

I would not have expected those counties in the panhandle on those maps to have "reliable bear sightings".

Just by sheer volume, there is no way bears could do as much damage as pigs do...and I can build a bear proof feeder.

Comment

Ill never forget that morning when I saw a black bear walking through the woods in Red River Co. Shawnee Ranch. I almost couldnt believe it. No doubt a bear. Took me by suprise to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I would not have expected those counties in the panhandle on those maps to have "reliable bear sightings".
            They migrate in from New Mexico sometimes.

My grandmother told me that her father killed the last known black bear in Palo Duro Canyon sometime around 1900-1910. They lived on the rim near Wayside and farmed/ranched there.

I think it would be cool if Mr. Duke's great grandson (me) could hunt bear in Texas again.

Comment

Wow..those are cool pictures

Comment

It woud be nice to see them come back. I think the habitat is goos for them

Comment

"This picture was taken between Del Rio and Sanderson a couple of years ago I believe."

Yep, mother-in-law lived real close to where they captured on in Del Rio, near Lake Amistad.
                  Last edited by TxsBuda; 06-12-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

There was a bear sighting at a feeder in Liberty county last year. Near 146 bout 5 miles north of moss hill. Some say its a hog on the pic though. I can't post it from my phone. If someone will PM me their email I can forward the pic for posting.

I saw bears in hardin county as a kid, but not even a track since. I think all the black panthers eat the bear cubs

Comment

Looks a little like a bear, but also a little like a hog. I have heard they are still roaming the woods around Liberty and Hardin counties but never have seen one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	24309826
                      Last edited by Tmag; 06-12-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                        Looks a little like a bear, but also a little like a hog. I have heard they are still roaming the woods around Liberty and Hardin counties but never have seen one.

[ATTACH]627384[/ATTACH]
                        Bears make very nice rugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post

[ATTACH]627384[/ATTACH]
                          This was last fall. I think it's a bear, but several have said its a hog. They say what looks like a large front leg is really the tree behind it. To me that face is a bear

Thanks Tmag for posting for me

Comment

[QUOTE=HNT ETX;1717049]When I was in college I did some research on bears in Polk County, the old timers talkin got me curious. Sure enough there used to be a VERY healthy black bear population in polk county, I found old hunting photos with multiple bears hanging on the ol' meat pole and some true hillbillys gathered round. I wish I could been right there with em'. The population in the Big Thicket area held out the longest. I beleive (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) the last bear in East Texas was killed at a garbage dump in Polk County in 1969.

I couldn't link to your article, so it may adress this, but I have heard that Western Louisiana is seeing a comeback and that we are getting a few bachelors spilling into our area.

^^^^^ I believe this is spot on. Older Polk County locals I have known say that flooding of the Trinity River bottom in the process of filling Lake Livingston made their best habitat no longer available. Happens to coincide with the last documented kill in '69.

I'd love to see a reintroduction, even if only to remote and select East Texas venues.

Comment

My great grandfather settled the land I live and hunt on now. My grandfather lived on it his whole life. He told me as a kid they ate bear all the time. That was their favorite meat. This is in hardin county near the Polk county line

Comment

^ Hog

Comment

Working...
                                X