No announcement yet.

Looking for East Texas Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard people claim there are bears in Piney Creek bottom around Woodlake also my wife claims she has seen bears crossing the road around the Kenard area.

Comment

Yes they are native species and probably belong in Tx and La but from a deer hunting prospective they suck. You guys will see once they start to populate in east texas. They turn over feeders, rip off motors, tear up cameras, they puke all around your feeders after they gorge themselves, they have no fear of humans though I have never seen one threaten a person either, deer are terrified of them and once they move into a location you will not see a deer very often in that area until that bear moves along. THis may seem selfish but I could do without them where I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        Found this article interesting. It always intrigued me as a yoot how they had a black bear season in the Outdoor Annual where I hunted in Cass County. I think it'd be awesome to see bears back in the woods of East Texas.

On the Lookout for a Texan of the Past
        I hunt in Cass County, down 1619. Where abouts are you hunting at?

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro1970 View Post
          I heard people claim there are bears in Piney Creek bottom around Woodlake also my wife claims she has seen bears crossing the road around the Kenard area.
          How long ago did she see one.I have family in that area.

Comment

word on the lease is there was one hit by a car on HWY 195 in red river co. some years back. there is a picture of it at the store just west of Woodland.

Comment

I have seen a black bear with cubs just north of Hochatown at Lake Broken Bow and that ain't too far from Texas. Just a matter of time and travel.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                How long ago did she see one.I have family in that area.
                She says about 5 years ago on that farm road between Pennington and Kennard (FM2781?)

Comment

I'd love to see them make a come back to the point of a huntable popultion in my lifetime. Probably won't happen, but maybe for my kids and grandkids.

I don't have much concern about encountering in the woods on the way to a deer stand. People in other states deal with this everytime they go hunting and you don't hear of many bad encounters.

I'm sure feeders could be built to be bear proof if that ever got to be a problem.

Bring 'em on - the sooner the better.

Trailboss

Comment

Ben Lilly

Here's another link about bear hunting and Ben Lilly.

coon hunting, coonhounds, coondogs, beagles, coonhunting, vintage hunting photos, vintage stud ads, rabbit hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro1970 View Post
                      Nitro - I have hunted right in Woodlake in and around the Piney Creek bottoms for many years. No bears yet but we did cut a big track years ago that was no bobcat. If there were bears in those bottoms I would not be surprised...that's some thick stuff.

Cipher - I did not follow your philosophical questions regarding the number of black bears versus drunk drivers. However, based on personal experiences, I like my chances with the critters versus the drunks.

Comment

I wasn't skeered of walking to my stand in the dark without a light,now I might need a Q-Beam!

Comment

mhmm!

Originally posted by crunchtime View Post
                          I don't want any part of them. Yeah it would be fun for a day maybe but walking in the dark with a bow and a ticked off sow is not the way I want to start my day. If someone could guarantee me I would not be mauled I'd be in.
                          my thoughts exactly... i have no desire to be looking over my shoulder on the way to my treestand, have a feeling most of them would end up being poached anyhow.... i mean after all it is East Texas.

Comment

How does a 4 year old bear thread get resurrected ?

Comment

my earliest memories of tpwd hunting regs was from about 1968 when my gf bought a 1/4 section in henderson county. i studied that document and was mesmerized that there was a season for javalinas, chachalacas, and most exciting, a bear season. not so much a season- if i was an archer, there was no closed season and no bag limit. my dad got a kick out of telling me i should get a bow and when i flushed up a covey i could kill them all. i have been searching ebay for years hoping to find one of these regs from that long lost time.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                                my thoughts exactly... i have no desire to be looking over my shoulder on the way to my treestand, have a feeling most of them would end up being poached anyhow.... i mean after all it is East Texas.
                                i doubt there will be any grizzlies spotted. black bears are known to be pretty retiring. i haven't ever read about black bear maulings. feeder maulings is another concern, however. supercoons for sure. the hardware cloth i use now would be perfect bear floss, i bet.

Comment

Working...
                                X