No announcement yet.

Bathroom remodel advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut existing trap out. Use "No-hub" coupling to go from 2" cast iron too 2" ABS plastic pipe. Install new trap at desired location. Wall mount and rain head on diverter is a good choice.

Comment

I like the idea of two heads, thanks. What about the thought of valves on opposite sides of where the shower head is? We will be going with glass doors, maybe a double glass barn door that can open on both sides.

Thanks for the video link suggestions. I have seen some, but there are tons of great resources out there.

Comment

Originally posted by lostbrd View Post
        Cut existing trap out. Use "No-hub" coupling to go from 2" cast iron too 2" ABS plastic pipe. Install new trap at desired location. Wall mount and rain head on diverter is a good choice.
        Awesome info on the coupling detail. Thanks!

Comment

Do y'all think pex pipe with shark bit to existing copper is okay? I've always sweat pipe myself. But Pex and shark bite look really easy.

Comment

I did pex on my bathroom remodel, and researched allot on it and felt it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
              I like the idea of two heads, thanks. What about the thought of valves on opposite sides of where the shower head is? We will be going with glass doors, maybe a double glass barn door that can open on both sides.

Thanks for the video link suggestions. I have seen some, but there are tons of great resources out there.
              This is fine and IMO a great idea. I offset mine as well, instead of a center mounted right under the head I mounted mine close to the door. I can open the door and turn the water and let it warm up without ever having to get inside. If you go with 2 heads you will also have a "selector" unit...totally separate of the control valve...make sure you have room for both.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Why not both? You could put both in and have separate controls for them.
                This is what we just did. Sometimes I have both going, sometimes just 1. Another thing we did is since our shower is rectangular we put the valves at the opposite wall from the wall mounted head. That way you don't have to get cold water on you when you reach in to start the shower.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had no idea that no one carries these fixture items in stock. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry these higher end controls.

Comment

I believe you can order them through their websites but yes... sadly they do not usually stock those. A plumbing fixture warehouse like Moorison Supply or Moore Supply might have them in stock but usually they are quite a bit higher than purchasing online. This is the one I went with... also the "spot shield" option is available on the version you want is definitely worth it. The coating allows it to stay much cleaner.

Shop Delta Dryden Spotshield Stainless 1-Handle Shower Faucet at Lowe's.com. Delta H2Okinetic Showers look different because they are different. Using advanced technology, H2Okinetic showers sculpt water into a unique wave pattern,

The "diverter" or shower head selector if you will looks alot like this: Note the 3 positions. Also this will be just the trim kits usually. There is a rough in valve for these as well. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta-Dryde...cet/1000037211

Comment

Less moving parts on glass shower doors is better in the long run.
                      It may look cool but you will find yourself using the same one all the time out of habit.

Comment

Plumbing is in, pex was pretty easy. shower fixtures are situated, went with both a rain and shower head, and a diverter that can do either or both, set up on the opposite wall from each other.
                        Had a tile guy come and float the shower pan. Did a good job, but he set the drain too low. Not sure how I am going to fix that problem yet, of course he has not called me back. Backer board is up as well as sheetrock. Next step is to do the shower floor tile.
                        Taking it slow and easy for now.

Comment

Do y'all think pex pipe with shark bit to existing copper is okay? I've always sweat pipe myself. But Pex and shark bite look really easy.
                          You can do sweat-on adapters, from copper to pex. No issues with pex. I DO worry about the sharkbites, though, if they’re not somewhere that I can easily get to them. I know some will disagree, but iffy in my book.

Comment

My advice: put the shower valve right inside the shower entrance and pipe around to the head. We put in a very large shower (roughly 5x5) and I stinks having to walk into the shower to turn it on and avoid getting a cold shot of water.

I also like the overhead rain head, but if doing over I would also put in both on individual controls.

Comment

What was a 2-1/2 year old post responded to?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                Gimmick. I do not like the rainforest shower head, or whatever they are called. There are times when one likes to soap up and then rinse off. You cannot do that when the water is constantly washing off the soap/shampoo.
                                We have one and I just move out from under it when I need to soap up.

Comment

Working...
                                X