Bow setup for Bear Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow setup for Bear Hunt

Alright guys I've gotten a bunch of different answers, but I wanna know if you think my bow setup is ok or do I need to change it up for a bear hunt I have coming up?? And yes I know I'm shooting a light arrow, but I've killed a bunch of deer and pigs with this exact setup over the last several years with 90% pass thru's.

Specs:

PSE Omen Max
    29 3/8" DL
    60 # draw
    350 grain arrow
    314 fps
    Rage Hypo's

Avg. shot distance is 18 yds and will be from a ground blind

That will work fine, go enjoy.

Comment

I would switch to a fixed head. Maybe a Slick Trick or Magnus Black Hornet.

Comment

You’ll be fine with that set up. Tell us more about the hunt coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
          You’ll be fine with that set up. Tell us more about the hunt coming up.
          Leaving out May 1 for a week long bow hunt with my 75 year old dad at Shell Lake, SK. Gonna be hunting with Ryan Marsh at Marshland Outfitters. Dad and I are gonna fish during the day and I'll be hunting in the afternoons. Hoping I can kill a 20+ inch bear as Ryan is known for specializing in big bears. To say i'm excited is an understatement. We we're supposed to go in May of 2020, but Covid hit and pushed our hunt back 2 years.

Comment

Your setup is fine as stated. Look at bear vital pics, you'll want to shoot a bear little bit back of where you'd shoot a white tail.

Comment

Are you very confident with your whitetail setup and what you can kill with it? If your answer is YES, then go with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                Are you very confident with your whitetail setup and what you can kill with it? If your answer is YES, then go with it!
                Yes sir I am...he'll be in trouble at 18 yds lol

Comment

Bears are soft targets. We have killed a bunch with a Rage. You will be just fine with that setup as long as you don’t find a big bone. I was shocked on my first bear hunt at how fast the arrow zipped thru.

Comment

I archery hunted northern Saskatchewan a number of years ago for black bear.
                    If you hit your bear center mass (middle of the middle), they won't go 30 yards at the very most.
                    I was very surprised how easily they expire when you zip an arrow through the center of their body.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Plenty good enough setup for bear! Listen to everyone about shot placement, most bears not recovered are from hunters shooting to far forward, not too far back.

All is I know for a fact, black bear are dang good eating! Don’t be scared to give it a try and bring you home a cooler full of bear meat.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        Plenty good enough setup for bear! Listen to everyone about shot placement, most bears not recovered are from hunters shooting to far forward, not too far back.

All is I know for a fact, black bear are dang good eating! Don’t be scared to give it a try and bring you home a cooler full of bear meat.
                        What's the best way to get the hide, skull and meat home? Mail it all back?

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                          What's the best way to get the hide, skull and meat home? Mail it all back?
                          We took a cooler each time we went just big enough for the hide and skull. Freeze the hide and fly it home with you. There is an import fee if you ship it home. Used to be 200$. Customs will check your paperwork when you enter the US.

Comment

Don’t over think it, if it kills a deer it will kill a bear. Bears seem to give up the ghost much quicker than deer.
                            Daughter shot one at 15 with 40# draw, fmj’s and fixed blade broadhead.

Comment

Any WT setup is fine. I strongly encourage expandable heads. Bears are soft skinned and easy to kill. I have seen more bears than I can count come into camp that were killed w expandables. Just stay away from the shoulder. I always carry the skull in my carry-on baggage.
                              Last edited by TexasTK; 11-26-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X